Official Home Gym Building Thread

Caporegime
OP
that's my gym actually looking tidy lol, maybe i should get Toxic to come round and help me :o

i also still need to re-furb half of my dumbells, hopefully before winter comes

also the white balls on floor are beans for a bean bag, polystyrene balls, cant be bothered to clean up as they just fly away lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Need some big mirrors in there :)

never looked into mirrors but im sure proper mirrors would be hugely expensive, maybe get some cheap ones from ikea for like £5 each and then just plaster them to the walls very close together so it looks like a big mirror.

also that is not where the gym will be permanently, looking to add an extension onto home, garage should hopefully be fully insulated and plastered, etc as part of the extension process to house gym properly temporarily, then a few years after that looking to move into a bigger home with double garage, etc, then the choice of either, converting a double garage into fully insulated gym or adding an extension or building some sort of hut purpose built for gym, or actually putting the gym inside the home and sacrificing having 2 separate living rooms. then due to a living room being sacrificed maybe adding a conservatory instead for relaxing in.

so hopefully it will get better and better looking. as you can see by the state of the walls, etc, it isn't really fit for purpose, it gets too cold in winter to even train, but also Scotland has poor weather in general.

Caporegime
OP
All you guys with home gyms

I hate you all :(

So jealous

trust me i get envious of gym goers in winter, too cold in garage to do anything, also if you go second hand, you should be able to get the majority of what you need cheap, i reckon maybe even for 1-2 years cost of gym membership, should get you everything to get started.

as a long term plan, if your completely serious about lifting a home gym is best, but some people cannot get motivated if they stay at home, my dad for instance pays £45 a month to go to a gym 30 minutes drive away, he cannot train at home.

Caporegime
OP
I couldn't train at home either. I love the buzz of the gym and you don't get any eye candy in Lycra at home unless you count the wife ;)

yup, i can definitely see the advantages and disadvantages of both, it works for some people and not others. i also used to go to the same gym my dad does and used to train with him. but it became a chore with all the travelling, having to wait for equipment, etc. the things i do miss are the eye candy and cardio equipment.

hopefully going to get a concept 2 rower in the near future, that should do me cardio wise for life. they all cost pretty much over £1K and top of the range model is like £1.4K, so may as well just go for that.

i did find a guy selling one second hand for like £150, i was shocked i told him it was mine, got there and he said sorry there is a problem with it and it is being sent back to retailer to get fixed. i then guessed he had realised his mistake, pricing the equipment so low (it was from a commercial gym that had shut down).

Caporegime
OP
Those refurbed dbs are looking nice mate!

Thing I like most about this post is the list of exercises for a complex :cool::D

took 2 days to do all my plates and the dumbells, probably need another day to finish off dumbells.

simple enough to do just very time consuming

1. Clean with WD-40
2. Prime with Rust Reformer made by Rustoleum then wait 30 minutes
3. Coat with Matt Black spray paint by Rustoleum then wait 30 minutes
4. Paint XX KG in white paint by Rustoleum then wait 30 minutes
5. Finish with see through gloss spray paint by Rustoleum then wait 30 minutes

4 dumbells need steps 1 through 5 and i think 4 dumbells need steps 4 and 5.

i only done that complex a couple of times, i found it knackering, im focusing on gaining lean muscle and losing bodyfat for now, seriously need to do cardio though to get my stamina up.

Associate
Good bunch of stuff there Sonny :)
You got same bench as me...its good...rock solid too...but it weighs a tonne!

I think mine only looks tidier as my garage is built into my house and its double so the same ammount of stuff...spread out a bit looks tidier. Actually, my last home...I had a single garage with concrete breezeblock walls....and I painted them all white and the floor red. It made a massive difference to how it felt when spending a lot of time in there working out. Maybe your next project when you finished painting your Dbells :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Good bunch of stuff there Sonny :)
You got same bench as me...its good...rock solid too...but it weighs a tonne!

I think mine only looks tidier as my garage is built into my house and its double so the same ammount of stuff...spread out a bit loos tidier. Actually, my last home...I had a single garage with concrete breezeblock walls....and I painted them all white and the floor red. It made a massive difference to how it felt when spending a lot of time in there working out. Maybe your next project when you finished painting your Dbells :)

yeah, i have all the attachments for the bench too, leg developer and preacher curl, thinking of getting powertec's fly attachment as i know it fits it too, just so i can use something other than dumbells all the time, luckily it has wheels so the weight is no problem, my gymratz bench doesn't and is a pain to move about.

yeah, next step will be insulation and plaster when we get the extension done and going to try and push to make it become a part of the home, so a door straight from the house into it and get rid of the garage door and brick it up, door at the back leads into back garden, where we may be extending our kitchen too as part of the extension, so i think that's the best place to do it.

going to be a huge project though, then a few years after we will be moving house and i have to do it all again maybe.

my garage floor is also not completely flat it has slight variation in it, like the bench rocks slightly in certain areas of the garage, but that is normal for a garage as it's finish is not supposed to be to the same standard as a house. i also know for a fact this garage was not built when the house was built, a previous owner must have had it added on and it looks like it was done for as cheap as possible.

one day i promise it will look exactly how i envision it to be, with rasterbated images of Arnie on the walls :p

Caporegime
OP
Well I've ordered the Premium Strength Package....hurry up mr delivery man! :D

Not enough room in the garage for the rower though :(

you better get your DIY belt out, i think it took me a few days to build all of mine, i built the rack then the lat pulley, then had to take apart some of the rack to attach the lat pulley. then i had to build the bench.

also some of the instructions weren't very clear, i put the flappy leathery bit on my body solid bench in the wrong place, it's under the seat, it's supposed to be in between the seat and the incline/decline bit. not a huge mistake, but it is there, tbh you dont really need it so i have just left it as is.

the rack i think had little mistakes in the instructions lol, but i used common sense and figured it all out.

also i think it's best if you get someone to help you, doing it on your own makes it twice as hard. some of the pieces are heavy to control and handle for one person whilst trying to put them together.

also make sure you have all the parts before starting to build it lol :p

Caporegime
OP
Sounds like a job for me and my dad then :D

Utter chaos in the garage :D

Ahhh bummer, back order 3 - 4 weeks :(

i got the same mate, mine had to be ordered from america to the warehouse then shipped to me, took ages.

on the other note my cousin ordered his and it was there within a few days, these companies don't like to hold a lot of stock because prices can rise or fall rapidly due to new models coming out all the time.

Back
Top Bottom