Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
Thanks for the reply :). When you say other benches for the price, can you reccomend any? The site you linked the stands from has this on there, similar design to yours http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf328-deluxe-flat-incline-decline-utility-bench.php

Any ideas if bodymax are good? looks sturdy.

Check out the benches on the gymrevolution website and then do a YouTube search for more info. The one I have is good, but what I don't like is that there are not enough incline incremental so when incline benching it's bit steep for my liking, same with the decline.

Associate
Question - I ordered a rack which has arrived scuffed and paint scratched off in a few places, seems the courier was over zealous. I've been offered a partial refund if happy to keep it as is, or a replacement.

Will it get scratched up anyway and so should I keep the rack?

Associate
Question - I ordered a rack which has arrived scuffed and paint scratched off in a few places, seems the courier was over zealous. I've been offered a partial refund if happy to keep it as is, or a replacement.

Are they major scratches that are going to bother you?

If it was me I'd take the partial refund as after a few months of moving weights around on it it's gonna have cosmetic marks anyways. :)

Associate
As someone who finds cardio on a bike or treadmill, dreadfully boring, I’m considering a punch bag. Not wanting to hang it off a ceiling or wall bracket, I’m considering a punch bag stand like being sold in Argos below, unless there’s better for the money (i.e. more stable, no need for a speedball attachment):

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3356940.htm

My query is, if anyone has any experience or could recommend a suitable punch bag up to £150? The stand can withstand a punch bag up to the weight of 45kg.

Associate
Associate

It will get scratched up anyway. I'd take the parrtial refund, but try and get as much as possible.

All the big equipment i've had delivered has been delivered scratch to be honest. I had a replacement delivered from powerhouse for my original squat stands (they let me keep the first, the second came slightly less damaged, so i sold it and keep the original).

I managed to get a free £70 lifting belt from Strength shop because my cage came scratched.

Associate
Nope, I couldn't find much information, and at the time i didn't have enough head room, so needed to maybe cut it down and modify it to fit.

I went with the Strength Shop rack in the end. Which is pretty good, not sure where it's worth anymore than the bodymax rage with the same weight rating. But it was short enough, so that i didn't need to modify it to fit, and was pretty much the only option for a full rage which is what i wanted.

With something like a squat rack, you really don't want to skimp out and buy an untested product. But at the same time, i don't think there is much point in buying something excessive. Anything from a reliable company with a few good review rated at say 300kg, should last 99% of home gym uses a life time of training.

Quick question, as i may now go for this rack. How noisy are the sabre rods when sliding in a nd out of the rack, do they make the metal screech sound? Only reason I ask is train at 5am and don't want to wake the house! Thanks

Associate
Quick question, as i may now go for this rack. How noisy are the sabre rods when sliding in a nd out of the rack, do they make the metal screech sound? Only reason I ask is train at 5am and don't want to wake the house! Thanks

Yeah they do screech sometimes, which is a bit annoying. But i'd imagine the noise from plates hitting each other, and the bar being racked after a set will be just as noisy.

Soldato
Anyone know if a concept 2 model D is a worthwhile investment? Anyone own one?

I'm looking at buying one with the intention of using it regularly. However I haven't used q rowing machine before so not sure if that matters?

Cheers :)

I love mine. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't spent a lot of time on the water though. The technique is subtle and most of what I've seen at the local gym looked like a direct route to back injury.

Man of Honour
Found some good deals for a stack of plates - but there's just no way I can go and pick them up as they are well over 150 miles away - and delivery is not an option (it'll cost as much as I'd be paying for the weights!).

It's exciting but frustrating!

Soldato
Stalk ebay relentlessly there are so many good offers available for home gym gear.

Van hire is relatively cheap these days so if delivery is not an option you could always hire a van for the day for less than £100.

Also check out strength shop, they do free delivery for over £100 orders and some good packages.

Personal opinion don't waste your time with Olympic dumbbell handles either.

inB4 lol dont listen to him he doesn't train.

Soldato
Found some good deals for a stack of plates - but there's just no way I can go and pick them up as they are well over 150 miles away - and delivery is not an option (it'll cost as much as I'd be paying for the weights!).

It's exciting but frustrating!

Have a look at shiply.com I've had some very good deals for delivery of huge and heavy stuff in the past. It lets people bid for the job.

Man of Honour
Stalk ebay relentlessly there are so many good offers available for home gym gear.

Van hire is relatively cheap these days so if delivery is not an option you could always hire a van for the day for less than £100.

Also check out strength shop, they do free delivery for over £100 orders and some good packages.

Personal opinion don't waste your time with Olympic dumbbell handles either.

inB4 lol dont listen to him he doesn't train.

That's why I'm doing.

Not bothered about dumbbells at the moment, barbell, rack and weights will do for now.

Hiring a van isn't an issue, but it's the pain/gain thing - and whether I can be bothered! haha!

Thanks for the site - seems like a worthwhile avenue to go down.

Have a look at shiply.com I've had some very good deals for delivery of huge and heavy stuff in the past. It lets people bid for the job.

Good link - thanks. :)

Soldato
They go for around the £500 mark on ebay...I was offered one for £450 but dithered to much over my decision, regretted it ever since.

In my opinion with one of these, a rack, a barbell, and weights you don't really need anything else, and if you want dumbbells you can just get some powerblocks which are awesome and comparatively great value for a whole range of DB's from 2.5kg to 42kg per hand for £400.

All in you should be looking at £1500-£1750 max.

That would see you get
Cage and weights and barbell - £500-£600
2nd Hand Cable Cross over £500
Dumbbells £400
Flooring £200 (easily 4x 6ftx4ft 18mm rubber mats)

Back
Top Bottom