*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Had an update last night that it OR should have done their stuff by the 28th ....if its any later than this Im going to start getting a little ****** as they were telling everyone middle of Dec originally.

(I realise its OR causing the delays, but Im also guessing HO are paying OR to get it done initally - as its site to site - so HO should have some responsibility)

Permabanned
I might be wrong in how I understand the system but BT is receiving millions in government grants to roll out 'super fast' broadband but still reported growing profits of £6.18 billion of the financial year 2012/13

As far as I am concerned they should not be receiving any grants and should be forced to reinvest every penny in the infrastructure they use to make that profit!

Are they actually doing much to bring super fast broadband to the rural areas they are supposed to be investing in?

Am I right to blame old Maggie for this?

So you expect a company to not make any money?

Associate
The FAQ about the supplied router might be a bit out of date. I don't have the exact model number to hand, but all the ethernet ports on it are gigabit capable.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Netgear Nighthawk for the WiFi AC support and better range, but will probably still use the Hyperoptic router in reduced capability mode to provide the VOIP features for my phone line.

Soldato
My HyperOptic line just went live last night (and I reckon Im one of the 1st to go live on this site, so the delays are understandable imo, even if a little frustrating)

My Upload for some bizarre reason is actually a fraction faster than download.....but as they are both around 95Mbps Im pretty pleased - given Ive been on a standard 8mb BT adsl line for 3 years that rarely got anywhere near 3mb lol

I also have to give HyperOptic's Customer Service a full 5 stars. I reported to them about 5ish last night that even though I had ordered a 100Mb line I seem to only be getting around 20Mb and asked whether this was because the kit /installation was brand new where they in a "bedding in" stage.

They had changed it and responded back within 15 minutes , although I didnt see the email for an hour. That late in the day (let alone a Friday) and they turn things around that quickly is very impressive indeed. All my communications no matter what day /time of day have all been replied in that kind of time frame and by polite and "informed" people.

At this point I cant recommend them highly enough

Soldato
Frank, any particular reason why you didn't opt for the 1 Gig line over the 100?

It was nearly twice the cost, and as I currently live alone, I cant see why I would actually NEED 1Gb

I can now stream HD iplayer (which refused to work before) and once Im on a webserver its pleasnatly speedy. I am a little disappointed with accessing any webserver initially is still slow, but it could be a lot worse lol.

Associate
Congratulation Frank on being up and running with HO. I understand HO will begin installing their equipment in our building 1 week from today, so happy days ......hopefully!

Associate
I'm a bit confused; you think the price is excessive (it really isn't) and not competitive, but then suggest most people don't need those speeds anyway. If that's the case, they'll be more than happy with the competitively-prices 100Mbps package while the 'power users' will be happy to justify the extra for the faster speeds.

Obviously as higher speeds are rolled out by more ISPs the costs will come down, but as they're evidently at the front of offering such a service I don't see how you can be complaining about what's evidently quite a fair price.

Oh dear I obviously was misinterpreted somewhere and if I was I do apologise, but upon reflection I couldn't find anywhere where I was complaining unless having a personal opinion somehow means one is expostulating and obviously if that is so I do apologise once again.

Soldato
Congratulation Frank on being up and running with HO. I understand HO will begin installing their equipment in our building 1 week from today, so happy days ......hopefully!

Good luck with your install - OpenReach delayed my install by about 6 weeks due to issues they didnt foresee between the Exchange and my building, but HO were pretty quick in letting me know as sson as they knew there would be a delay

Associate
I can now stream HD iplayer (which refused to work before) and once Im on a webserver its pleasnatly speedy. I am a little disappointed with accessing any webserver initially is still slow, but it could be a lot worse lol.

That sounds like it could be DNS related - have you tried using google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead of whatever is assigned via the router?

Associate
£60/Gbit is superb on the £/Mbit stakes.

I can see how that's still out of reach for struggling families (and there are a lot more of those than a lot of us realise - remember that this is a forum for people with the means to buy fairly expensive technology for fun), many of whom struggle to get together the £20-30 for conventional broadband, never mind fibre or Gbit at £60 a month.

I can also see how the extra £20 or so over FTTC or £30+ over normal broadband isn't justifiable for many people even if they can afford it. For my mum, she'd never utilise FTTC's 40Mbit, never mind 25x that, so it's pointless her paying that much more. Even considering myself to be a fairly heavy user, it's not often I even wish I'd gone for the 80Mbit FTTC over the 40Mbit I have now.

In a few years (ie 4k/8k streams) I can see higher speeds being justified... but at the moment, anyone with the money to spend £3000+ on a 4K capable TV (and stuff to watch on it) can probably spare £20 a month extra for faster internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am a little disappointed with accessing any webserver initially is still slow, but it could be a lot worse lol.

That sounds like it could be DNS related - have you tried using google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) instead of whatever is assigned via the router?

What drizzy said. You could also try 4.2.2.2 (Level 3's DNS) and see if that's any faster. Try different browsers too, and check any add-ons you have installed. It's amazing how much delay AdBlockPlus can add, for example, once a couple of lists are installed.

Lately Firefox loads pages WAY faster on my machine than Chrome does, and it uses less memory too. But ymmv. If you try Firefox, grab the Bluhell Firewall addon instead of ABP. It blocks the majority of adverts using only five rules, condensed from the full ABP lists. This means it doesn't slow you down.

Just for interest you might want to also try a Linux live USB such as Mint 16, Crunchbang or OpenSUSE 13.1 and see how much difference it makes. Linux and *BSD are far superior at networking than Windows (though the latter is improved in 7 and 8) and I find on high speed lines Linux loads pages way faster.

Just some ideas for you.

Personally I'd give my right arm for gigabit FTTH and I'd not blink at paying £100 a month for it. But I realise we're in the minority. :o

Associate
Still waiting for the completion of Fibre HyperOptic to be installed, apparently BT are holding things up but hopefully not much longer. HyperOptic are offering the 1Gig service with the phone line for £37.50 for the first 12 months as long as the resident register's there interest before HyperOptic has been fully installed, now that's not bad.:D

Back
Top Bottom