**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Hard to believe those graphics are a legitimate representation of gameplay, especially if it's coming out on xbox one. There is no object pop in whatsoever despite insane view distance, ridiculously good anti aliasing, pedestrians and traffic in the cities, all in 3D and as close to photo realism as we've seen in any game before... and it looks like it runs silky smooth.

Sounds too good to be true...
Thanks, at least I'm not going mad then :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
2 x 2080Ti’s perhaps?

Can’t see that running smoothly at 4K on a single 2080Ti.

Hopefully MS can prove me wrong!

Associate
Dread to think what the install size would be with that fidelity of terrain. Or will it be streaming it from Google Maps? xD

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
So that video was in game footage ?

I guess the question is what was it running on.
Maybe by Xbox, MS actually mean the next one, not this current version.

So the platform might be a bleeding edge PC, running DX12 with multi-core use etc etc. All the same, if they ARE doing that, then that's a good thing.

Associate
I don't think all the video could have been in actual game play, more akin to replay mode. There are places where the gfx in the background are deliberately blurred.

its coming to xbox as well, does this mean it could actually be playable with a standard xbox controller?
You can play FSX on a Xbox controller so I don't see why you wouldn't.

Associate
Signed up! No doubt my 980ti will struggle at 1080p...so closer to the time a decent video card upgrade will be needed! Maybe a 12 core AMD cpu too!
Yup, I'll be interested to see how my system handles it. Flight Sims always used to be all about single core performance but if this uses multiple cores properly then I can see an upgrade coming!

Associate
Impressed by the trailer but I am treating this with heavy skepticism. Knowing what I know about flight sims (proper flight sims) I truly doubt you would get visual fidelity like that running on 4K with smooth frames. Even if MS re-coded flight sim from the ground up using 64 bit & win10, there simply isn't a single PC that could handle everything (aerodynamics, flight physics, AI traffic ground & air, 3d ground building/trees/structures etc, atc, high rest textures, complex flight dynamics & instrumentation, etc etc) as shown in that video. I want to believe it but as I said, I know about flight sims and I also know about how you can cleverly edit video footage and even take smooth 60fps recording from FSX by rendering a previously made flight path and creating it frame by frame, I just can't believe a proper flight sim can run 4k smoothly especially not on an Xbox. Unless it is not a proper flight sim but more a nice looking arcade flight sim game. Also not to mention that the highly detailed ground textures take up a HUGE amount of HD space, my FSX took over 1.2TB with just 30cm High Res ground textures (excluding accurate 3d models) and that was only UK/Netherlands/Germany/Switzerland/Austria/Australia & parts of the US. What you are seeing in that video is far better then 30cm and unless it only covers small areas of the globe, you simple wouldn't have the HD space esp on Xbox.

The only way it might run well on Xbox/PC and handle the huge amount of satellite data if the game is mostly streamed online, it would be possible then I think, then you will need some serious bandwidth. I seriously hope it runs as well as it does in that demo, but I ain't getting my hopes up. Time will tell.

PS Lets not forget the last time when MS & Dovetail released Flight Sim World, only to be cancelled & forgotten just over a year after its release!

PPS Plus how will this product get released, fully functional (like FSX) or chopped up, tons of paid DLC, will it allow mods/3rd party addons? I have not a doubt in my mind that MS will try to monetize it to hell and back.

Last edited:
Associate
Update from M$

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/ said:
On behalf of the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team, we humbly and deeply express our gratitude for such an overwhelmingly positive response to our announce trailer! We recognize that without people like you, we don’t get to make experiences like this that span more than 35 years and maintain such a passionate following. Thank you for being patient enough to weather the turbulence caused by some of our previous missteps. Thank you for being willing to look to the possibilities of the future while asking us to be accountable for the past. We hear you, we value you, we want to make the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator for you, with you.

While this is not the moment to answer every question being asked, we do want to take the opportunity to answer a few important ones:

We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.
Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.
Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.
Over the next few months, we will be communicating our plans for the rest of the year, including important updates to the Preview Build/Insider Programs, and important development beats. Maintaining a collaborative relationship with the community starts with transparency and clearly communicated expectations. Early August is our current timeline for kicking off the communication of the development roadmap. We will continue to add clarity to this timeline throughout the summer. If you’d like the latest updates, please make sure to sign up for the Insider Program.

This is just the first step in an adventure we are honored and excited to be taking with all of you. The reaction we received from our recent trailer was an incredible reminder that we are not alone in this passion we have for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, honestly expressing your feedback and concerns, and for taking this next step with us.

From all of us here working on Microsoft Flight Simulator:

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Back
Top Bottom