• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK RX480 4GB and 8GB review thread

I don't see what all the hype is seriously? it's a £220 card that can't even match an GTX 970 and the 970 just loves to overclock and can be had for £207 with £20 cashback from EVGA
The only fair model to compare the 970 and its "4"GB VRAM to is the 4GB model of the RX 480, which is currently £180. Only the most fanatical of Nvidia fanboys would try to claim that a 970, with its poor DX12 performance and lack of driver support going forwards, is the smart buy there, given that they seem to trade blows in terms of performance and only one is going to improve in the future. Even a 390 would be a better bet than the 970, but then it doesn't have the right company logo on the box. :rolleyes:

Of course, the smartest option of all is to wait for the custom cards and see what they offer.

I wasn't expecting big numbers but we did get one - it uses almost as much power as 1080 during gaming. So much for all those efficiency claims.

I know this is midrange but considering this a efficiently 2 process nodes and GNC revision 4 at a minimum it should be keeping up with the last generation card mid range. I would like to think there's room for drivers to improve performance to get it at least on parity with what it's meant to be replacing.

If this was replacing a 380 at £170 it would make for slightly better reading but it's to expensive and power hungry.

LMAO,so a £175 RX480 4GB does not exist??

even so you can get a 4GB 970 cough 3.5 card today for £200 so even at £175 it isn't a wow card, think about it nearly 2 years ago the 970 launched at £250-£275 we've waited 2 years for this a node shrink struggles to match the 970 and only cost £75-£100 less (at launch) as well as performance/watt is worse and it's on 14nm I know I'd rather have paid the extra £75-£100 2 years ago and have had a 970 than this junk of a card

even so you can get a 4GB 970 cough 3.5 card today for £200 so even at £175 it isn't a wow card, think about it nearly 2 years ago the 970 launched at £250-£275 we've waited 2 years for this a node shrink struggles to match the 970 and only cost £75-£100 less (at launch) as well as performance/watt is worse and it's on 14nm I know I'd rather have paid the extra £75-£100 2 years ago and have had a 970 than this junk of a card

This is the most telling info for me:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/25.html

Basically with a whole new generation and a whole new 14nm node AMD have finally caught up with the power efficiency of Maxwell on 28nm.

Pascal 1080 has 80% more performance per watt.

Kyle at HardOcp was right. AMD have serious electrical issues with Polaris. A lot of people on this forum owe him an apology.

The only fair model to compare the 970 and its "4"GB VRAM to is the 4GB model of the RX 480, which is currently £180. Only the most fanatical of Nvidia fanboys would try to claim that a 970, with its poor DX12 performance and lack of driver support going forwards, is the smart buy there, given that they seem to trade blows in terms of performance and only one is going to improve in the future. Even a 390 would be a better bet than the 970, but then it doesn't have the right company logo on the box. :rolleyes:

Of course, the smartest option of all is to wait for the custom cards and see what they offer.

The 970 may not be the best comparison, but 7 months a go you could have had this -

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/radeon-r9-nitro-390-for-215-89-delivered-overclockers-uk-2332506

390 nitro 8 gb for £215....

^* not a competitor link - it is for an overclockers deal and 7 months old (don't want to get in trouble!)

Some of the cons in the summary of the techpowerup review are just dumb.

Such as exceeds PCI power limit...well derr of course it does.

Fans don't stop spinning at idle....well derrrr wait for custom coolers.

Can't see anyone really buying one of these over even a 970 unless they were skint. Shame I was expecting a little more considering all the hype.

I disagree. The 970 isn't necessarily faster, and not only that but it's a mature product compared to the 480. Lastly, the gsync premium is real and this is a price bracket where it matters a lot. New? 480 is a win. But you can always get used 970s...

Well I can't wait to see what Zen offers, I'm sure they won't be a let down. :D

The funny thing is 6-9 months down the line I bet the RX 480 eventually gets revised, fixed or repalced with a newer model with better circuitry and becomes the card to buy. But why can't AMD ever give us a product that everyone wants at launch? The last GPU that was a must buy was the HD5870.

970 is literally faster in all the big games :p

in some games it actually by quite a lot.

the only reason to buy a 480 is you haven't much money but want new. you are a amd nut.

Back
Top Bottom