Official page for the Asus VG278H now online.

Associate
well thats just sods law gregster :)

Oh well, at least it was including the postage.

Its meant to be delivered between 3:15pm and 4:15pm today.......hmmm methinks they're gonna be late!!

Associate
Ok guys im thinking of pulling the trigger. One question to make sure before i buy it.

I have a GTX580 palit, its got the mini hdmi port on it and the two dvi connections.

Does this monitor come with the cable i need to get 120hz 2D and full 1080p 3d?

Associate
box just landed on my door - haven't opened it yet as about to have tea.

Pretty sure I read (and hope so) that the dual link dvi cable was included. soon find out.

Will try to connect an hdmi source to it too to see if it does indeed play sbs format stuff (popcorn player)

Associate
box just landed on my door - haven't opened it yet as about to have tea.

Pretty sure I read (and hope so) that the dual link dvi cable was included. soon find out.

Will try to connect an hdmi source to it too to see if it does indeed play sbs format stuff (popcorn player)

I will be waiting for for your report! :eek:

what GPU u got btw?

Associate
belch

just one GTX570 - so not sure how performance in 3d will be on a whole - but was certainly acceptable and fully playable while testing 3dtv play out on my 55" sammy d8000.

At moment running on a Dell E228WFP monitor. I always worry when I buy a monitor though in case have the dead pixel hassle etc.

Just sorting car hire for hols out first then time to turn it all off and get new screen in :)

Associate
right - all plugged in

yup it comes with a dual link dvi cable. (and also a VGA cable)

For some stupid reason they've provided a DVI cable that has a thick block either end of the cable. This means the cable can only be plugged in by it slightly bending against the back panel of the TV as the block gets in the way of the plastic shape, not too good for potential unnecessary wear.

Its a bit wobby as I type on the keyboard on my desk right now - so not so good in that respect compared to old ones - but maybe I shouldn't be so heavy handed with my fingers :)

Ran the 3d test within the NVIDIA Control Panel, and it is responding fine on the test (glasses out of the box worked but red light flashing indicating less than 2 hours charge)

However, launching Trine, it is not switching to 3d mode like it did on 3DTV Play trial on my TV. Not sure why.......but the screen does flicker like crazy (but in a different kind of way to what you would expect from a screen in 3d mode.....so time to figure that one out

Associate
yup defo still have a little problem

Ctrl T toggles between 2d and 3d mode but the graphics aren't switching.

Switch fine in the test application though.

New drivers out 295.51 anyways so worth a looksie

Associate
hmm my bad. Just Cause 2 working fine....Trine doesn't want to switch properly for some strange reason...especially as under 3dtv play it did fine.

Less crosstalk than my ue55d8000 TV which is good - tho glasses a bit heavier

Associate
loving it so far. Nothing to fault with the monitor itself over display really (the wobbling when typing is getting a bit annoying though)

Gets a bit annoying faffing with settings though to get individual games to look right - one of the reasons I jumped ship to consoles those many years ago. FPS in 3d mode on the games I've tried so far (Just Cause 2, Trine, Crysis) seems to affect performance by about 5-10fps so perfectly acceptable (with all settings at max (apart from the ones on crysis I needed to turn off)

Still quite a bit of tweaking to do.

Question for those in the know.

When playing a game with Fraps running. If it says 60fps - would that mean I'm getting 30/30 in each eye, or would it mean I'm getting 60 per eye?

without 3d, I'm not really sure how to know its running as it should at 120hz. What tried so far seems to lock at 60 (or 50 in Trines case), regardless. In crysis I turned vsync off and it went to around 70-80s but then the tearing was quite bad. Any tips for a noob out of touch with gaming on pcs the last few years? :)

Not been able to plug popcorn player in yet to test SBS content on HDMI, but I cant see any options on the OSD for selecting SBS modes

Associate
mario galaxy on dolphin emulator.......wow....glad I refrained from playing Wii games til now :)

Like other question mind. With 1080p120 set, and all main options turned on, I was getting about 45 on the Mario game....with vsync turned on. So again, with vsync, does this mean it would actually be dropping it to 30 unbeknownst to me? As I thought that in vsync would basically mean you'd either be at 30, 60 or 120 with nothing in between basically

Associate
just trying to find a spare hdmi cable lying around then chuck the old popcorn in and see what happens with sbs

hopefully report back soon.

Brightness at default for regular browsing is a bit high...so will have to fiddle with that in bit too.......man if only I didnt have a million and a half jobs to get done today too lol.

I really need to learn how/why/what the crack is with vsync and reported framerates (and try at dropping res right down to lowest I guess, just for speed comparisons etc

Associate
heres a photo of the dvi connection plugged in at back

P1120141.jpg

and

P1120142.jpg

doesn't show up too well on them pics - but the cable itself is quite firm rather than flexible, so doesnt inspire with confidence on the secure fit

Associate
tested popcorn player with standard 1080p half SBS file.

It does NOT autodetect nor allow you to switch to any SBS view as far as can tell on things connected by HDMI.

The menu navigation is c*ap, but what little options are there are nothing to do with setting any 3d modes :(

I did think it wasn't sending sound out either - til remembered I had audio set to bitstream :)

Associate
I flicked through the booklets in the box - next to no info in them.

Granted I never read the manual thats on the cd tho :D

Tho I did flick through the online one weeks ago when was looking to see if it did similar and think I recall it referring to SBS modes, but yeah.....unless someone knows better (or theres a remote control hidden in the now full of waste wrapping stuff box) then its not on there :)

Back
Top Bottom