*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
I'm a massive fan of Sonos and have it pumped all through my house with connects. connect amps, Play 1's and play 5's... But I wouldn't touch their soundbars.

I also wouldn't use Sonos as a HIFI as such.. Its there for background music and at parties or pumping football/F1 all round the house but If I want to listen to mozart die zauberflöte I'd pick something else to listen on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well not really because all but one of the reviews you posted did find it less impressive than Whathifi but none found it awful. There’s no million miles about it. That’s the case.

My point was that the Whathifi review should be considered somewhat suspect. The product is more than OK but not normally what Sonos achieve sonically.

Also it’s not being reviewed at £600 that the predecessors cost. £400 buys a lot of Soundbar and the Beam is a bit underwhelming

Where are you getting that from? The press is overwhelmingly positive, and not one of the reviews has called the product underwhelming, quite the contrary!!!

And Whathifi is a credible site. More credible than you or me, at any rate.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Where are you getting that from? The press is overwhelmingly positive, and not one of the reviews has called the product underwhelming, quite the contrary!!!

And Whathifi is a credible site. More credible than you or me, at any rate.

It is an opinion, I’ve read the reviews and for a Sonos product the reviews, to me, are underwhelming.

The press is good, this is not a bad product, but not overwhelming positive. This is unusual for a Sonos product - and normally the main criticism is price, not sound quality, which is where the Beam is falling down consistently.

Whathifi is credible in your opinion, which you’re welcome to, but not shared by many.

Soldato
I also would use Sonos as a HIFI as such.. Its there for background music and at parties or pumping football/F1 all round the house but If I want to listen to mozart die zauberflöte I'd pick something else to listen on.

Definitely a lifestyle product, but even their cheapest stuff is capable, and the ability to scale your setup over time is really cool.

Soldato
To play from an external drive you’d be looking at one with DLNA functionality or a NAS type device. Sonos supports that fine.

Google music does let you upload all your music but I think you need a paid subscription. I’d check though I’ve not used it.

Honestly I’d just get a cheap Deezer/Spotify collection but I don’t have a large collection of music digitally.

Alarm clock does indeed work with Sonos but it’s basic.

Thanks! For the alarm, all I really want is for it to wake me with my music on random.

Regarding Google Music, I did a search and found that my own Google Music account is still in place despite not having used it for years (and has been continuing to upload my newly purchased music, despite me being on a different computer now to when I had that account set-up)! And their FAQ says:
Add your personal collection
You can store up to 50,000 of your songs for free.

So looks like as Sonos can access that, I'll be able to play my own music through that source and avoid having to set up a NAS for this purpose. No idea what bitrate Google puts in it's cloud though, so probably if the computer is switched on, better using that as the source?

Soldato
sound quality, which is where the Beam is falling down consistently.

Seriously dude? You must be reading a different version of the internet than me! All of the reviews I've read have praised the sound quality. The only criticism I've read is that it's understandibly not as full as their larger and much more expensive home cinema options - that's to be expected given the completely different price bracket and form factor.

Soldato
Seriously dude? You must be reading a different version of the internet than me! All of the reviews I've read have praised the sound quality. The only criticism I've read is that it's understandibly not as full as their larger and much more expensive home cinema options - that's to be expected given the completely different price bracket and form factor.
Sadly some people will not be satisfied unless it says Atmos and dts-hd on it! I get the impression some people wouldn't care if it sounded exactly the same as long as it was decoding hi def audio then it would suddenly be a better product!

I'm seriously considering one as I have been enduring the built in speakers on my tv since my htib broke down last year. If you knock the cost of a play 3 off the price (it would free up the play 3 in my living room for use elsewhere.) then it is a suddenly an even more interesting product!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly some people will not be satisfied unless it says Atmos and dts-hd on it! I get the impression some people wouldn't care if it sounded exactly the same as long as it was decoding hi def audio then it would suddenly be a better product!

I'm seriously considering one as I have been enduring the built in speakers on my tv since my htib broke down last year. If you knock the cost of a play 3 off the price (it would free up the play 3 in my living room for use elsewhere.) then it is a suddenly an even more interesting product!

Right!

Same for me - I've two Play 1s in the back of the living room already. A Beam suddenly offers very passable 5.0 with no wires, no remotes and no mess. I stopped using full home cinema systems a few years ago - too much hassle for the time being.

I get the DTS complaint. Especially now that they've gone to hdmi, Sonos are running out of excuses. But Atmos on a soundbar with no upfiring speakers? Harder to justify. My blu rays all get encoded for Plex the day they're bought, so it's not an issue for me generally and I have a PS4 and a sony TV that passes 5.1 around without issue.

Soldato
Am now a Sonos owner :) picked up a Sonos One yesterday and so far I am impressed! Set it all up with the Sonos app on my android phone only to find the trueplay function is exclusive to ios devices. Is that essential? I do have an iPad and could try it if it's worth it?

Soldato
Am now a Sonos owner :) picked up a Sonos One yesterday and so far I am impressed! Set it all up with the Sonos app on my android phone only to find the trueplay function is exclusive to ios devices. Is that essential? I do have an iPad and could try it if it's worth it?

Our 5 year old iPad did the job :)

Caporegime

Trueplay makes a pretty significant difference. You only need to tune it once so just borrow an iPhone if your iPad doesn't work. Only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Back
Top Bottom