*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
Optical from my TV. No bother, it just plays whatever I throw at it but I'm sure that Plex will be able to detect it's not DTS and only present DD to the soundbar.

That's good. My Samsung TV will not passthrough DD from an HDMI connection so I would need an optical switch to get multichannel from my PC. I don't have a massive DVD/BD collection so the DTS isn't too much of a worry and I believe Netflix is DD? So tempted to get one, just have some niggling doubts

Associate
Mine will passthrough DD as long as the source is received by the TV through anything but HDMI. So Netflix will output DD as it's from the Smart Hub but really...what a great design feature!

Anyway, I'm good to go. Playbar and optical switch it is. I'll almost certainly need a Sub one of these days, just because. Well, it's Sonos and for some reason I just want one :)

Soldato
OP
Does it do anything more advanced? Like play x on Sonos in room Y?

It's not worth the investment for just on/off for me.

The Yonomi app that you currently need to use is working as a "translator" between the Echo and the Sonos.

Yonomi lets you create "routines" that can trigger favorites from your Sonos list on any one or more of your Sonos devices.

Once a routine is created you give it a name - this name is what you need to say to Alex to start the routine.

This makes it a bit of a pain to set of "organic" commands like "play some jazz on the sonos in the living room" because you'd need to create a command called "play some jazz on the sonos in the living room" and, in turn, set up individual commands for "play some jazz on the sonos in bedroom" or "play some soul on the sonos in the living room".

So while it's possible, it's not straight forward.

Download the Yonomi app, it's free and rather than using the Echo to trigger the commands you can just do it manually to see if you can get it to work how you want.

Soldato
I've got this setup in my bedroom, sounds awesome to be fair. Sub next when I can justify it.

I've went the other route. Bought the sub to go with the PlayBar. Might buy the Play:1s sooner or later, but happy with it as it is.

My LG TV outputs DD over the Optical out from any input into the TV.

Already have two Play:5's in the living room as a stereo pair for music. The PlayBar has a neat feature where you can group it with other "rooms" when you're playing music. And when you then switch to watching TV, it'll automatically ungroup the Playbar from the room.

Associate
Hate to say it but I'm a little underwhelmed by the Playbar. I find it muffle s speech really badly making it quite hard to understand. I've tried the enhance speech/night mode combos but to pretty much the same effect. Tried a snippet of World War Z and the atmospherics are great with Play:1 surrounds in DD5.1 but I can't understand a word anyone is saying :/

Associate
Worrying...It could be due to my shockingly poor Sky Connect broadband downloading a poor soundtrack from Netflix. Picture is certainly not up to much due to bandwidth.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Playbar, perhaps more a case of poor sound recording in certain TV programs. For instance, I was watching Grand Designs and the narrative was spot on, but audio "in the field" as it were was echoey etc

Soldato
You are correct, it's in the Beta - was going to get on the case with giving it a shot tonight.

so is it the sonos beta or the spotify beta i need? :)

i've updated to latest sonos beta now but none the wiser about how to use the spotify app itself to stream to my sonos speakers..anyone?

Last edited:
Soldato
literally got no idea how this so called 'spotify implementation' works with the new beta. I've tried lots of google searching and nothing comes up so relying on anyone here who happens to have tried it!

Back
Top Bottom