***Official Squad Thread***

Associate
my specs are in my sig and in some areas its as high as 20fps increase I think :) and that's with the reshade! I couldn't believe it when my fps was well over 80fps the other day, only played for an hr or so on one map but it never got up to that sort of frames before, I used to get the odd dip into the low 40s/high 30s but now its above 60fps 95% of the time, awesome stuff! will have to have a longer sesh at some point and try a few more maps but so far its great :)

Soldato
OP
Squad SDK just updated to latest version. Already dabbling!

HighresScreenshot00000.jpg

Soldato
Performance increase is very welcome. I played on Gorodok last night and even that felt much smoother, that's usually an FPS killer for me.

I also played my first full round as a Squad Leader last night. I'll be honest and say I usually avoid it, but I got lumbered with it when no on else would take it. Decided to give it a go, and I have to say, I have nothing but admiration for those who choose to do it regularly. It's bloody hard work, never felt so overwhelmed in an online game. I don't think I did too badly, but that was only because we were on a small map and there was only 2 other squads being led by forgiving SLs.

Soldato
OP
Good on you for giving it a go! Normally if a SL leaves it's a bit of a merry go round until someone either steps up or the squad disbands!

In other news...

The Road to Modding

Hi Squaddies,

Over the last month, OWI's own StrangeZak (Zak Strange) has been working hard on adding official mod support to Squad. Although we still have a long way to go and everything could still change, our Modding SDK is starting to take shape.

The first thing that was tackled was extending the UE4 Editor. With us wanting to be able to do everything from creating and uploading mods from within the editor, we had to add some custom features. The first thing we added were 3 buttons to help manage mods: "Create Mod," "Load Mod," and "Share Mod."

While not fashionably Mod, definitely more practical.

When "Create Mod" is clicked, a dialog box will pop up asking you for information about the mod you would like to create. Once this form is filled and the "Create Mod" button is clicked, we generate a new folder for your mod in the Plugins/Mods folder, then switch your content browsers view to your mod's Content folder. Inside of your mod's folder is where all content and information about your mod will be stored. This information will later be used when pushing to the Steam Workshop. Edit twice, post once!

The Slightly Cool prototyping went better than expected.

The "Load Mod" button is a simple interface for loading up your mod's "modinfo.smi" (Squad Mod Info) file. When you successfully select your mod's "modinfo.smi" file, it will load it up, and then switch the Content Browser view to the mod's Content folder:

We are still in early stages of the work on sharing mods, but we already have the base ability to be able to share your mod to the Steam Workshop while in editor. When the "Share Mod" button is clicked, you will first be prompted to enter a changelog. This could be something as simple as, "Initial push to the Steam Workshop," or something as detailed as the itemized list of everything you changed in the version you are about to push to Steam. Once you submit your changelog, everything will start being pushed to the Steam Workshop. A progress bar will update you on the progress and stage that the upload is currently on. Now's a good time to join the Squad Modding Discord.

Once your upload has finished, you should see it up on the Steam Workshop within a few minutes. At that point, anyone can subscribe to your mod within the Steam Workshop and have it in game. Congratulations, you've made it!

The artist really evokes a sense of curves.

With all of the Editor Extensions and Steam Workshop interfacing done, the next area I moved on to was getting mods playable in game. Firstly, I had to get the mod's content packed into a .PAK file format. This required me to learn about and use Unreal Engine 4's new DLC system. With all the correct flags figured out, they to pass to the cooker to cook a mod and we eventually got a PAK file with only the contents of the mod. With that done, it's time to get them loaded.
For the most part, it seemed as if getting a mod loaded into the game was easy, since the engine seemed to do most of the work. This step proved to be more of a challenge than I had thought it would be. There were quite a few engine changes that had to be done to get everything working. I also did have to add modded maps to Squad's map list at runtime.

After the merging of the mod map list and Squads map list, I was finally able to switch to maps in a mod in a release (private branch) copy of Squad.

Studio 54 started from less.

With all of this work done, modding finally has a solid base and is starting to take shape. There is still some work to be done before we can get it into your hands: Disabling and enabling mods from in-game, downloading mods you are missing when connecting to a modded server, LOTS of cleanup, and many other things. Can't wait to see what you guys will make with these tools!
Offworld Out.

Soldato
OP
Patch notes from over the weekend:

squadlogo_white_hires.png

Release
Alpha 9.10

Hey Squaddies,
With the weekend ahead, we wanted to make sure you could get your range drills in. These hot, hot fixes can be found on a Steam client near you today!
  • Fixed a crash in the Engine.
  • Set soldier movement speed when playing in local to normal levels.
  • Fixed the ingame server browser showing an incomplete list. (If you still don't see all the servers, reduce pings/min in steam settings->ingame settings).
  • Changed ingame server browser to order by ping by default
  • Fixed ghost gunshots being heard at maproot.
  • Fixed placing SL markers on minimap stopping all inputs.
  • Fixed default admins.cfg listing deprecated permission level.
Offworld Out.
Join the Discussion >>

Soldato
OP
Patch notes for 9.11 in case anyone missed them:

• Fixed a crash related to loading into a match.
  • Fixed a crash when using the +connect launch parameter.
  • Fixed spawning below ground after revive/ragdoll.

Soldato
OP

Monthly Recap
<< Previous
September 2017
03-Oct-2017

Hi Squaddies,
Ah, the crisp air, the change of seasons, and one of the spookiest months of the year. The ghosts and ghouls will soon be out, and, let's face it, the only way to be prepared is to bring along a squadmate hauling a PKM to make sure when the zombies* come, they stay down.

middle_separator.png

Systems

middle_separator.png

Territory Control Game Mode Prototype

Starting with the introduction of a test map last year called Insurgent Territory Control or ITC, we have been wanting to do a game mode that has a more dynamic style of play that focuses on gaining ground and fighting for locations that matter. It has been our goal to try and develop game modes that provide more strategic play and allow the players the ability to create their objectives and drive their own experience. As a step towards that goal (FOBs are one piece of that puzzle) we have started our initial development of a frontline, territory control based game mode. Depending on how development and testing goes, this may evolve into multiple game modes, such as the initial terrain based one and a larger sector and resource based one. Hex lattice auto-generation tools are being created, UI is being designed, and initial gameplay design is being hashed out. To keep this semi-short, we are giving you a screenshot that should provide a broad overview of the current Work In Progress.

middle_separator.png

Staging Area
The initial implementation of staging areas for the beginning of round timer has been created. This will partially replace the current timer allowing players to spawn in before the match starts, so squads may gather together, go over plans, and stage vehicles.

middle_separator.png

Art

middle_separator.png

Bradley Fighting Vehicle

Our first truly dedicated Infantry Fighting Vehicle is ready to be shown off. Bridging the gap between Armored Personnel Carrier and Main Battle Tank, IFVs can transport a small group of infantry while also providing considerable fire support against both infantry and enemy armor. You may still need to remind your squaddies that it's not a BTR, though.

middle_separator.png

PKM

Following the reveal of the m240 in the last recap, we are now ready to reveal the next General Purpose Machine Gun - the legendary PKM. Developed in 1961 and improved in 1969 (Nice.) when it was adopted into service, you will likely see the PKM go out before the modernized PKP is ready for action, which means that there will likely be a small period where the Russian faction uses the PKM.

middle_separator.png

M1 Abrams

The first of several Main Battle Tanks to be shown off, the M1 will come in two base versions in the world of Squad - the M1A1 and the M1A2. Main Battle Tanks will be a highly valuable asset that will be able to deal with most battlefield threats head-on confidently.

middle_separator.png

Mapping

middle_separator.png

Belaya First Look

You can make your own, "Winter is coming..." joke as the rest of us ogle the first look at Belaya. Belaya is an Eastern European map set in late winter/early spring. One main goal for Belaya has been to try and capture gameplay elements from our existing maps in the hope of providing a varied gameplay experience. Production of the map is in full swing and will keep you updated as we progress at a rate faster than White Walkers. You'll have to keep a (Night's) watch on this one.

middle_separator.png

Fallujah: More to Come
We don't want to keep you out in the cold forever, though. The environment team has been cranking away on revisiting our production workflow and creating some exciting assets for this map, and boy are we excited. As we've mentioned, we're planning a detailed blog post about Fallujah which will give you a more in-depth behind the scenes of our thought process and how Squad's team works under the expert guidance of artist oxygencube.

middle_separator.png

If you find yourself a little scared of marching North, Maesters are standing by now. No word on the milk of the poppy update for medics, though. Thanks for joining us for another recap! As always, be sure to let us know what you think.
Offworld Out.
Join the Discussion >>

(* No zombies were, or will be harmed. C'mon, zombies are, like, so 2010.)

Soldato
OP

DevBlog
<< Previous
Animation System Update
12-Oct-2017
Animation System Development Update

Hi Squaddies,
I'm Chuc, Lead Animator on Squad. You might know me from my previous work for Project Reality (where I was also Lead Animator), but also all the Squad updates and news forum posts that just so happened to be in my area of responsibility, though now is taken over by our community manager, Gatzby.
I wanted to provide an update on where we're at with the Animation System, as well as the road we've had to take since beginning this system overhaul.

Back in September 2015, even before we released in Early Access, we were starting to see a lot of flaws and shortcomings with our animation system. Which was severely hamstringing us not only performance-wise, but our ability to expand it and add new features in a stable and reliable manner. In reality what you, the player, are playing with now on the current Release version 9 is something that was built from the very early days of Unreal Engine, in order to get something working, with little regard for architecture and expandability. Over the months of development and Early Access release feedback, weve made some minor incremental improvements to it in terms of performance and some additional visual fidelity, but nothing major in terms of features.
Fast forward to January 2016, when we had laid plans to rework the animation system with one of our Senior Programmers, Kory, in charge of learning and in essence building the system. At the same time, me and another animator Kab (recently hired at the time) were in charge of reanimating and re-rigging all of our weapon and character assets (over 1800 individual assets) as even the standards we were using with the old system were incorrect. We made significant progress with the creative side of development, where we had managed to re-animate almost 70% of all Squad content by September 2016, by which vehicles had been released. However due to prioritising of vehicles and the stress of having to learn a completely new system, we hadn't made as much progress on the animation programming side.

Fortunately, Kab in his resourcefulness had managed to learn a great deal about how animations work within the engine (a lot of the visual improvements with the old system were thanks to him). And so we began giving a lot of the reins over to him as we dove head first back into creating a working prototype of the new animation system, complete with the features detailed in previous animation-related monthly recaps and videos.

Come March 2017, after months of hard work, Kab and myself have managed to create a prototype that reworks the following items: 1. Visual Fidelity of Character movement, 2. Clear Separation of First and Third Person models, 3. Weapons Handling and aesthetics. In addition, a lot of the features requested from the outset, including vaulting, climbing, free-look and bipods, were included in the prototype, and what was previewed at the start of the year was the prototype version of the system.

If we had released the system in its prototype stage, it would have been completely bug-ridden and performing worse than what the old system did. And so the next step involved the all-star programming team (Kory, Motherdear, Abdel, Kevin and Joe) taking this prototype, basically a vision of the system created by the artists, and turn it into a working system that can operate in harmony with everything else in the game. We are currently well into this delicate stage of development, working with a team of more than 9 people trying to see this process through as quickly and as bug-free as possible.

DesertedMajesticCockatoo-size_restricted.gif

While the programming team has been busy with their work on the system, we decided that I would look into motion capture as a way to vastly improve the visual fidelity of our characters. This was happening in tandem with the programming work, and included the motion capture session in July and its subsequent integration over the following month. The motion capture studio was in charge of taking the raw capture data and converting them into loops, a format which we can drop directly into the working animation system and literally see the results instantly. Working with Animatrik was an extremely valuable learning experience for the animation team, as I felt that I graduated from a hobbyist animator to a professional in my field.

AmusingCorruptFlamingo-size_restricted.gif

PleasantSnivelingKusimanse-size_restricted.gif

Every stage has been hard, and there is still work left to be done. What is remaining is converting the underlying code to C++, making architectural changes to how weapons and animations interact; networking key features; optimising the code; and setting the weapons up by our game designers in order to give flavour to the system. Once we're past those stages, ongoing optimisations, quality assurance evaluation and bug-fixing are what's left before players can get their hands on it.
In the meantime, there has been a lot of polish done between August's Monthly Recap and now, so please enjoy a peek below.

FlawedCoolIcelandgull-size_restricted.gif

SorrowfulInbornGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

NiftyClosedFennecfox-size_restricted.gif

BigFlamboyantLacewing-size_restricted.gif

WellinformedNastyHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif

Back to the grind!
Offworld Out.
Join the Discussion >>

Soldato
I love all the updates, but part of me loved Squad more when it was a much simpler game.

No vehicles and less metagame around FOBs obviously made it more casual but suited how much time I can commit to the game.

I used to always step up to the plate to a be a Squad Leader, now I don't like touching it with a barge pole!

Still, nothing is going to be a fit all for everyone - just hope I can find more time to play :)

Soldato
I love all the updates, but part of me loved Squad more when it was a much simpler game.

No vehicles and less metagame around FOBs obviously made it more casual but suited how much time I can commit to the game.

I used to always step up to the plate to a be a Squad Leader, now I don't like touching it with a barge pole!

Still, nothing is going to be a fit all for everyone - just hope I can find more time to play :)

Absolutely agree with this. Problem is that the maps got too big so vehicles had to be introduced. I miss the old infantry days.

Back
Top Bottom