"Official" threads

To be honest having a maintained "Official" thread with most game talk kept in there is fine, with all the important relevant information kept up to date in the first post, it's the ones that are then abandoned that I don't like very much.

I honestly can't say this thread is very original, haven't we had a thread like this rather recently, yet again having a moan about something which frankly shouldn't really be brought up? Three cheers for the internet I suppose... :(

Caporegime
I maintain that putting all the info in the first thread makes practically no difference to the amount of stupid questions asked. In the end, people are ******* lazy and will just go to the end and ask their question, even if the question has already been asked in the same page.

I maintain that putting all the info in the first thread makes practically no difference to the amount of stupid questions asked. In the end, people are ******* lazy and will just go to the end and ask their question, even if the question has already been asked in the same page.

But at least we wont get a lot of little threads posting about the same game, taking up the first page of the "PC Games" section.

Soldato
But at least we wont get a lot of little threads posting about the same game, taking up the first page of the "PC Games" section.

This was my point.

Call me a grumpy sod, but I don't want to have to dig to the third or forth page for the thread on a game I'm interested in, because the first page is full of silly one question threads on a game I don't care about. :p

Is the use of the thread search function really that taxing for some people? :(

Soldato
It seems to be a tradition that whenever anything big/interesting is coming up someone will create an 'official' thread, put some stars on it and a bit of info. As of that point, anyone talking about the subject matter in a different thread or asking any questions will be immediately shot down/ignored unless they go to a 2k post thread and find out there.

Now I understand some people don't want page 1 of the forum view to be 13 different BF3 threads or 11 different threads asking which augs to buy in DX3 but is it too much to ask that whoever creates the 'official' thread at least takes the time to update it with information?

Take the BF3 thread, for instance. It was created almost two years ago and still has OcUK preorder information (with a price you can no longer order the game for), has no beta information, etc. It was updated at some point in the past month at least so I guess this is better than nothing.

My point basically is: if we're going to go for this 'one thread' route then can we please make sure the OP in the thread is up to date? Is there a way to make wiki-style pages on these forums where we could all update the OP with relevant information?

Blame 'Thegoon84'

:p:D

Soldato
I agree, in fact I think it should be extended simply to any hugely popular thread. If you make it, update the OP occasionally to give first time readers a heads up to save them hours of reading.

Soldato
OP
To be honest having a maintained "Official" thread with most game talk kept in there is fine, with all the important relevant information kept up to date in the first post, it's the ones that are then abandoned that I don't like very much.

I honestly can't say this thread is very original, haven't we had a thread like this rather recently, yet again having a moan about something which frankly shouldn't really be brought up? Three cheers for the internet I suppose... :(
It's not the presence of official threads which bothers me, it's the "go away and search in the huge thread" stock response you get because to find out why you can't bind new keys in the BF3 beta I have to scroll to post #728 and I need to go to post #1829 to get a password to a server and so on.

Wheras if there was a possibility for a wiki system then anyone could update the OP with all sorts of relevant information then not only would you not get annoyed at the presence of millions of threads for one game, but then guys like me won't be annoyed at having to trawl through 2000 posts just to find some useful information :p

Soldato
Won't we?

Did with Deus Ex. As once again, people are ******* lazy and will just start a new thread instead of ask in the big one because they think their question is more important.

It's not because they think it's more important, it's because the massive threads are tedious and hugely difficult to find anything in unless you've been keeping up with it from the start. It's vastly easier, quicker to post and assuming you don't just get a bunch of self righteous numpties shouting at you to read the massive thread, more likely to end up with a decent answer without getting lost amongst the other fifteen conversations people are trying to have in one thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
but I don't want to have to dig to the third or forth page

orderoftheflame said:
Is the use of the thread search function really that taxing for some people? :(

:D

Though I agree, updating an OP should be a requirement of making an official thread. Maybe for small releases like indie games it shouldn't be totally necessary but big games that get loads of stupid questions... Rage is a great example of a good OP.

Back
Top Bottom