*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Are you using Speedtest to test the Wi-fi speed? That doesn’t show the speed of the WiFi - it shows the speed of the broadband.

You should be able to get 400Mbps on an LR if you can feed and receive the data fast enough. And anything with a SATA HDD is unlikely to be able to write the data fast enough, you need a NAS or NVME SSD.

The only reasonable speed test I can find is iPerf.

Soldato
Are you using Speedtest to test the Wi-fi speed? That doesn’t show the speed of the WiFi - it shows the speed of the broadband.

You should be able to get 400Mbps on an LR if you can feed and receive the data fast enough. And anything with a SATA HDD is unlikely to be able to write the data fast enough, you need a NAS or NVME SSD.

The only reasonable speed test I can find is iPerf.
I know which is why I said it maxes out my fiber connection.
I have the Pro as well.

Soldato
You probably won’t see an awaful lot more on a Pro than an LR unless you switch off the 2.4GHz bands and only have 3x3 clients anywhere near it. Where the Pro really shines is where you have dozens of clients connecting. Then you’ll still see 400Mbps and the LR will be doing half that.

Associate
I had loads of problems with my Sonos kit after switching to Ubiquiti access points. The fix for me was to create a new wireless network that's only used by the Sonos stuff and for that network to broadcast on 2.4GHz only. Since then I've had zero problems.

Does anyone know how to make a new network 2.4ghz only??

Soldato
You probably won’t see an awaful lot more on a Pro than an LR unless you switch off the 2.4GHz bands and only have 3x3 clients anywhere near it. Where the Pro really shines is where you have dozens of clients connecting. Then you’ll still see 400Mbps and the LR will be doing half that.

I went with the Pro for the 3x3 5ghz have quiet a few devices making use of the 400Mbps. So thought it worth it especially as two of those are laptops. There was negligible cost difference either where I got it.

Seems really good gear so far.
Look to add more of our soon, wouldn't mind a new router something where I can prioritise devices, is that QOS.
See a lot going on about the USG bit not sure what that's for.

Soldato
Does anyone know how to make a new network 2.4ghz only??

Once you've created the new wireless network go to Devices and pick one of your access points. Go to config and WLANS. You should see a list of 2.4 and 5GHz networks that are enabled on that AP. Click the pencil icon next to the new network in the 5GHz list. Untick the 'enabled on this AP' option then save your changes. Repeat that until you've disabled it on all your access points.

Caporegime
No, the PoE-24-12W PoE Injector. I have two 8 port 150W PoE Unifi switches, but for annoying reasons now have one camera that has to be run off a normal switch, or a switch with PoE passthrough. Given that a five port switch is around a tenner these days, its much cheaper to go down that route, so the switch for this particular camera will need a PoE injector.
Just in case anyone is wondering I used the 12W PoE injector and its working just fine, albeit over a 10 metre run.

Soldato
Hi Guys

I have a large bungalow with a loft conversion where my home office is and my teenage sons bedroom is located and am planning on either the below, assuming I'd have to get 3 x POE injectors for the first ones?

Ubiquiti UniFi UAP Indoor WiFi Access Point - 3 Pack

Or the

Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC HD Indoor / Outdoor Wave 2 Access Point

Thanks

Man of Honour
I've just migrated my cloud key controller to my QNAP NAS. Because they use different IP addresses I couldn't work out how to do a backup/restore, so I used the export site function;. Everything appears to be working fine. I'll shut down the old cloud key and keep it as a backup I think.

I've got a TVS-671 with an i7 installed into it and 16GB of RAM. I just installed the app from here: https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/216

I couldn't be bothered with faffing around and getting it running in container station.

It runs absolutely fine. All that I have lost (that I've initially found!) is the DPI data which is kinda throwaway anyway.

I'm glad I've done it as it I get a port back on my switch, plus before it was POE only so used to crash when the switch it was on had an update or restarted. I know I could have used the separate USB adaptor but meh laziness.

I decided to run it in container station as I found a few port conflicts running it natively on the NAS itself. I've used the old controller IP and I'm running it in bridged mode.

Everything seems super quick, stable and no downsides so far. If anyone here has a QNAP NAS then I can recommend running a controller in container station and using bridged mode for the networking.

Associate
Everything seems super quick, stable and no downsides so far. If anyone here has a QNAP NAS then I can recommend running a controller in container station and using bridged mode for the networking.

How is the RAM usage? I’m running the jacobalberty UniFi controller in docker on my Synology NAS and I had to restrict it to 2GB as Mongodb was eating all the RAM.

Back
Top Bottom