*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
The emissions diagrams for all the UniFi access points are on their website. If you Wall-mount any of them then they predominantly fire up and down and anything on that wall or near it will have great coverage. Anything more than 10’ or 3m away isn’t really in the coverage zone anymore so it will be weaker.

Draw out a ceiling with a dome access point and then draw a broad cone out from it. Then turn that on it’s side and that’s your coverage. Not ideal. The Flex HD is 360-degrees like a home router and the in-walls fire out in a 3m tall arc 180-degrees around the access point. They’re my favourite. Largely because I can sell one for every room :)

Soldato
The emissions diagrams for all the UniFi access points are on their website. If you Wall-mount any of them then they predominantly fire up and down and anything on that wall or near it will have great coverage. Anything more than 10’ or 3m away isn’t really in the coverage zone anymore so it will be weaker.

Draw out a ceiling with a dome access point and then draw a broad cone out from it. Then turn that on it’s side and that’s your coverage. Not ideal. The Flex HD is 360-degrees like a home router and the in-walls fire out in a 3m tall arc 180-degrees around the access point. They’re my favourite. Largely because I can sell one for every room :)

Was tempted for a 2nd FlexHD, but ££

Currently got a Lite on top of a cupboard in mesh mode and Pro in bridge mode on top of computer.

Was tempted to look for a cheaper bridge AP.

Back wondering about cat 5 around the house into a patch panel with UDM-Pro, need to revisit that.

Soldato
interesting, getting my UDM Pro gradually sorted, but atm not fully sold on it.

The challenge for me is that for 99.9% of UK customers at the moment, running 55-75Mbps VDSL connections, a £100 USG 3P does pretty much everything the UDM Pro does. The UDM makes a much better case for itself because it’s an access point as well. The UDM Pro’s claim to fame is the 10Gbps uplink port but VERY few folks are running 10Gpbs networks so it’s all a bit pointless. And having an 8 port non-PoE switch is also relatively pointless because it’s clearly meant to drive Protect cameras (onto a single HDD?) and access points. It’s a VERY oddly specified device. The new $150 UGM Pro will do all the routing stuff the $400 UDM Pro does but without all the bits you don’t really need because you already have a UniFi PoE switch and a UCK of some description. Even the new 4 HDD Protect Server looks weedy compared to a cheaper Hikvision or Dahua 4 or 8 disk PoE NVR unit.

I’m totally lost on Ubiquiti’s strategy with these Prosumer Plus devices. And I don’t think I’m the only one.

Soldato
Was tempted for a 2nd FlexHD, but ££

Currently got a Lite on top of a cupboard in mesh mode and Pro in bridge mode on top of computer.

Was tempted to look for a cheaper bridge AP.

Back wondering about cat 5 around the house into a patch panel with UDM-Pro, need to revisit that.

My mottoes (not necessarily in this order) are ‘Buy cheap, buy twice’ and ‘First Loss Least Loss’.

The cable is more expensive (and hassle) short term but long-term it absolutely is the correct answer to almost every challenge.

Soldato
My mottoes (not necessarily in this order) are ‘Buy cheap, buy twice’ and ‘First Loss Least Loss’.

The cable is more expensive (and hassle) short term but long-term it absolutely is the correct answer to almost every challenge.

Before posting in networking people should be required to acknowledge this. Networking hardware is like buying toilet roll and black sacks, go cheap and you’ll end up spending time dealing with crap when you don’t want to.

That reminds me, Costco have bags on offer from Monday ;)

Soldato
The challenge for me is that for 99.9% of UK customers at the moment, running 55-75Mbps VDSL connections, a £100 USG 3P does pretty much everything the UDM Pro does. The UDM makes a much better case for itself because it’s an access point as well. The UDM Pro’s claim to fame is the 10Gbps uplink port but VERY few folks are running 10Gpbs networks so it’s all a bit pointless. And having an 8 port non-PoE switch is also relatively pointless because it’s clearly meant to drive Protect cameras (onto a single HDD?) and access points. It’s a VERY oddly specified device. The new $150 UGM Pro will do all the routing stuff the $400 UDM Pro does but without all the bits you don’t really need because you already have a UniFi PoE switch and a UCK of some description. Even the new 4 HDD Protect Server looks weedy compared to a cheaper Hikvision or Dahua 4 or 8 disk PoE NVR unit.

I’m totally lost on Ubiquiti’s strategy with these Prosumer Plus devices. And I don’t think I’m the only one.

Certainly agree with the above, I can see myself selling the UDM Pro / returning it for something else.

Last edited:

I agree it’s missing something. It should have had POE built in. For me having played with UniFi AP’s already and having 2 in place I don’t think I could go back to a wifi router in the corner again.

I got my USG3P for £50 brand new. She was a pig to config, update, adopt but has been okay after. If I do compare it to other hardware it’s a little slow which is a shame. Would be cool
If the USG could be emulated on a PC with a dual LAN port setup.

Associate
I have bought a new house (not moved in yet), I am doing house rewiring and including ethernet cables.

I am thinking of getting Ubiquiti UniFi and I hope it will be worth it. Where is the best place to put Ubiquiti UniFi on the ceiling?

Here is a pic of the floor plan (ground floor). I have circled in red for Ubiquiti UniFi - is that a good place?

Untitled-2.png

Soldato
Seems reasonable.

I'd attach it to a long cable and then try it in a few obvious locations and choose what works best before making any holes.

Mine's on the downstairs living room ceiling and covers upstairs and downstairs well enough. I was originally planning on adding one upstairs as well but it didn't prove necessary.

Associate
Seems reasonable.

I'd attach it to a long cable and then try it in a few obvious locations and choose what works best before making any holes.

Mine's on the downstairs living room ceiling and covers upstairs and downstairs well enough. I was originally planning on adding one upstairs as well but it didn't prove necessary.

Thanks.

I was thinking in the hallway but it is not in the centre.

I read Ubiquiti UniFi light (blue?) is too bright and annoying when the main light is switched off - is that true?

I need to figure out where do I put the network switch - I would need about 16 ports and maybe apatch panel, where is yours?

Soldato
I'm liking the look of the AmpliFi Alien. Anyone tried one yet?

Yep. I put one in last week. The upsides are that it’s a mesh system out of the box and it looks gorgeous. The downside is you can only have one IP address subnet and it doesn’t do VLANs. And while it does have a guest portal, it takes up 20 IP addresses from your single subnet and it’s not on a separate VLAN, so guest users can, theoretically, easily breach the main network if they’re smart enough.

For unsophisticated home users it’s fine. For most OcUK users, you probably still want the UDM instead.

Soldato
Yep. I put one in last week. The upsides are that it’s a mesh system out of the box and it looks gorgeous. The downside is you can only have one IP address subnet and it doesn’t do VLANs. And while it does have a guest portal, it takes up 20 IP addresses from your single subnet and it’s not on a separate VLAN, so guest users can, theoretically, easily breach the main network if they’re smart enough.

For unsophisticated home users it’s fine. For most OcUK users, you probably still want the UDM instead.
Actually sounds ideal for me then, just want fast, reliable WiFi. Ability to manage devices as well.
Wonder if it's be better with a hdnano and a standalone router though. Probably a lot cheaper.
Do AmpliFi do a router, I don't need the level of the unifi routers.

Back
Top Bottom