*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Thanks @WJA96 for clarifying...I didn't ever mention VLANs, only LANs, so not really sure how VLANs entered the conversation.

Anyways, I'm happy to report that since making the changes around 24hrs ago, everything has been steady. Means I'm still having to use a (unmanaged) switch to connect the USG to the Living Room devices, rather than employing the LAN2 socket, but hey ho!

There isn't a world of difference between your setup using both LAN ports and doing the same with with VLANs. What I said about IP connectivity applies just the same. The V stands for virtual, so to use another analogy if you're having problems running a piece of software on a Windows virtual machine it'd be logical to go through the same troubleshooting steps as you would with a physical Windows machien.

You can take the 'V' otu of every time I mentioned VLAN and everything I said still stands.

Good to hear it's all working though.

Morning folks...having a bit of trouble with ssh access to my UCK Gen2+. Initially tried my username (as per the username field in 'Device SSH Authentication', which is also my Ubiquiti SSO username) and both the password (as per the password field in 'Device SSH Authentication') which I'm sure I'd used before and also my SSO password, but no access. Finally got access using 'ubnt' as the username and my SSO password. I'm now logged in as root@<device name>. Is this correct? Should I have access using my username?

Morning folks...having a bit of trouble with ssh access to my UCK Gen2+. Initially tried my username (as per the username field in 'Device SSH Authentication', which is also my Ubiquiti SSO username) and both the password (as per the password field in 'Device SSH Authentication') which I'm sure I'd used before and also my SSO password, but no access. Finally got access using 'ubnt' as the username and my SSO password. I'm now logged in as root@<device name>. Is this correct? Should I have access using my username?

As far as I'm aware you should be able to log in with your admin credentials but you can't. Can I ask why you're SSHing into the UCK Gen2+? Just being nosey...

As far as I'm aware you should be able to log in with your admin credentials but you can't. Can I ask why you're SSHing into the UCK Gen2+? Just being nosey...

OK, maybe it's user error then. I'll try again later!

Sure you can ask...just wanting to have a bash with Network Controller 6.1.54 which needs to be installed via ssh. Installed it via the root user and all seems pretty stable. Was previously running 6.1.52 which had been running nicely too

Very easy question for you guys.
I have a spare AC Lite that is sitting plugged in but currently disabled.
I want to remove it from my setup and put it in a relatives house.
I go to the config for the device and forget it, yes? Then download the discovery plugin for chrome, or the controllr software after I have plugged it into the new router...
Turn off the wifi for the router, you leave DHCP on though, correct?

Thanks

Hello friends,

I have now received my two Unifi 6 Lite's but would like to get some advice and suggestions before getting stuck in with them.

The first question is regarding the placement, both in terms of room location and whether or not these are wall or ceiling mounted. Do you guys have any suggestions? I have an idea of the rooms I would like to put them in but not sure if I need to be doing anything like a site survey of some sort.

There is also the controller aspect/setup of them. What do you guys suggest for this? I have a phone (which I think can be used for initial setup) and also have a new Synology NAS which I think can also be used for a controller.

Any help appreciated! Thanks :)

I spent a small fortune proving that these are only about a third as good wall mounted as ceiling mounted. If you can, ceiling mount them. If you want to wall mount them, get the In-wall units or for free-space mounting use the FlexHDs.

how much difference between wall and ceiling mount?

Get a piece of paper. Draw in the floor and the ceiling. Add the access point as a thick broad lampshade with nothing in the middle. That’s your ceiling mounted access point. It’s a broad, shallow donut of coverage. Now turn that on its side. That’s the effect. The rooms above and below have great coverage but the room the AP is in, not so much.

odd from ubiquitys promo material it shows the coverage to be more like a bubble rather than a sector antenna design.

No it doesn’t. It shows a strong donut with a hole of weaker signal in the middle. Have a look at pictures of the access points with the covers off. There is no antenna in the middle of the access point. The antennae are arranged around the rim and they transmit out at away from the dome of the access point. Directly under the access point you’re relying 90% on reflections to give coverage there.

3550bc81-dc05-4d29-ac24-fd92f5fe89d7

odd the data sheets used to show these charts but looks like they have been removed.
if mounted on a wall should still cover the room its in and possibly above and below too. deffo not a bubble though

You'll still get coverage with a wall mounted disc AP, to some degree that'll be because of reflection. But it's definitely not the optimal way of mounting it.

I've got a wall mounted AP-AC-LR in my study and coverage is fine but it'd be better if the AP were on the ceiling.

Decided to upgrade the uap-ac-lite as it was bugging me to do it, absolute trash, works for a short period of time before connectivity issues start and the wireless becomes unusable until pulling the power, back to 4.3.20 now and it's working solid again.

I'm surprised I still get significant firmware issues like this when the product is supposed to be so mature, still feels like it did 5-10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom