*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
They’re only just launched and they’re sold out world wide. Unless you NEED WiFi6 the UniFi UAP-HDNano or UAP-HDFlex are every bit as good, just WiFi5. Which most of your devices are.

The U6-LR was in stock on the EU store a few days ago, albeit briefly.

Soldato
Has anyone here made the jump from NanoHD APs to the WiFi 6 models?

I've got an opportunity to use up some spare capital in the company so tempted to do it. Any experience would be really useful to hear.

Soldato
im looking to move my full network over to unifi equipment

currently have 1gb virgin internet with the hub4 in modem mode going to an asus RT-N66U with all my devices connected via wifi or wire.
i have 2 cheap switches, 1 behind the tv with a few things wired in and 1 in my understairs cupboard where all the house network points come together.

i currently have 1 unifi access point on my top floor to get wifi up there, my asus router cannot get the wifi to the top floor (3 floor house).

so im wanting to replace the asus router and add a 2nd access point with wifi 6 and in the future add some unifi security cameras.

can anyone advise on what i should be looking at?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
unifi security cameras.
You'd need either the Dream Machine or a Cloud Key Gen 2 plus to support the cameras. The Dream Machine has a gateway, switch and Access Point built into it. Then get one of their switches with the required capacity for the TV (I use the US-8-60W for my TV unit) and another as your core switch if the UDM doesn't have enough ports. Or there are 16 port versions, 10 Gbps versions etc.

Soldato

currently have 1gb virgin internet with the hub4 in modem mode going to an asus RT-N66U with all my devices connected via wifi or wire.
i have 2 cheap switches, 1 behind the tv with a few things wired in and 1 in my understairs cupboard where all the house network points come together.

i currently have 1 unifi access point on my top floor to get wifi up there, my asus router cannot get the wifi to the top floor (3 floor house).

so im wanting to replace the asus router and add a 2nd access point with wifi 6 and in the future add some unifi security cameras.

Thanks.

I've got a UDM in the lounge where my VM Superhub is, ethernet to the study upstairs, and then a POE Unifi Switch there connected to two NanoHD APs (and some ethernet connected devices like a NAS, Printer, Desktop, Hue Bridge etc)

Very happy with it. I had a USG and separate Cloud Key + POE switch before and that was fine too, but the performance of the UDM is great.

Soldato

Thanks.

I’ve recently done almost exactly the same and replaced my Asus router connected to my VM hub.

I got a Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus and two of the new 8 port ‘Lite’ PoE switches. The hub and one of the switches lives in the garage with the switch powering the Cloud Key and a G3 Flex camera at the front of the house. The second switch lives in the loft, powering a U6-Lite access point mounted on the landing ceiling and another G3 Flex camera on the back of the house. I have another camera, a G4 Bullet, which will also run off the loft switch.

All works very well and I’m very happy with the set up. Router duties are handled by a Qotom mini-PC running pfSense.

Soldato
I bought the G4 door bell in the end, all set up and working fine.

I decided to go with the Honeywell D117 hardwired chime and powered everything with the supplied transformer. It replaced my existing standard mains powered doorbell.

The hardest part was fishing the new doorbell wire through the plasterboard cavity up to the bell box. The old wire came though between the doorframe and the wall rather than though the wall so I needed to re-run the wire.

Associate
Added a U6 Lite to my network yesterday following all the hype and must say I'm disappointed.

I've tweaked channels, power settings etc and only the phone will connect to it when on the same floor. All other items still connect to the UDM even though its a poorer signal

Associate
Added a U6 Lite to my network yesterday following all the hype and must say I'm disappointed.

I've tweaked channels, power settings etc and only the phone will connect to it when on the same floor. All other items still connect to the UDM even though its a poorer signal

what channel are you on. My two U6 lite’s are giving my cracking performance.

If you leave channel on auto it will default to around channel 155 (5.8mhz). This is effectively a WI-FI 6 channel and older devices won’t be able to see it or connect.

I have 1Ap in the loft set to 80Mhz width on channel 157. This serves all my WI-FI 6 devises and I get 400-500mbps almost all around the house.

the second AP is on the ground floor set to channel 42. So can be connected to by non Older devices. I get 300mbps off this AP.

channel width is important. If you want performance you need to set it to 80 but interference can be an issue.

Associate
Is the access point ceiling mounted or wall mounted?

Sat of the desk pointing downward the 3rd floor to mimic ceiling mounting

what channel are you on. My two U6 lite’s are giving my cracking performance.

If you leave channel on auto it will default to around channel 155 (5.8mhz). This is effectively a WI-FI 6 channel and older devices won’t be able to see it or connect.

I have 1Ap in the loft set to 80Mhz width on channel 157. This serves all my WI-FI 6 devises and I get 400-500mbps almost all around the house.

the second AP is on the ground floor set to channel 42. So can be connected to by non Older devices. I get 300mbps off this AP.

channel width is important. If you want performance you need to set it to 80 but interference can be an issue.

Set to channel 36 for the old devices @80 but they still connect to the UDM which is further away

Associate
U6 lite going back, speeds have dropped off and nothing stays connected for any period of time

have you tried turning off the AP in the UDM for testing?

there must be a reason your devices are not connecting to it that must be configuration based.

I could have got away with one in AP6-lite in my house if it wasn’t for me wanting maximum performance on WI-FI 6 devices.

I brought 2 thinking I need them but could easily send one back.

Back
Top Bottom