*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Why not? It’s perfectly adequate for my uses at home. Provides me with a single admin interface. I did have an EdgeRouter but eventually went back to the USG.

Ask yourself what additional useful features the UDM Pro is giving you over the USG? Three years ago UBNT effectively stopped developing the USG line because they said it was a dead-end. A mish-mash of code. The UDM line was supposed to be the new “clean sheet” design that would allow their new router/security superstar head of routing dept. Chris Buechler to bring something approaching pfSense to the UniFi controller. By any sensible yardstick the UDM line is a failure. The original UDM was nice. Flawed, but nice. The UDM Pro was launched to huge expectations which it has soundly failed to meet. It needed Beta firmware just to work for over a year after it went general access. The UXG Pro has been Beta for nearly two years and now the UDM Pro SE is just another diversion from the fact that Chris Buechler has utterly cocked up the UniFi routing division. After 4 years of promising the UDM Pro finally got Multi-WAN interfaces, but only on DHCP connections. If you have a fixed IP or a PPPoE authenticated ISP connection it still doesn’t work. Ask yourself honestly what extra features your £350 for a UDM pro will get you and then by all means keep your USG. At least that’s stable.

Soldato
Ask yourself what additional useful features the UDM Pro is giving you over the USG? Three years ago UBNT effectively stopped developing the USG line because they said it was a dead-end. A mish-mash of code. The UDM line was supposed to be the new “clean sheet” design that would allow their new router/security superstar head of routing dept. Chris Buechler to bring something approaching pfSense to the UniFi controller. By any sensible yardstick the UDM line is a failure. The original UDM was nice. Flawed, but nice. The UDM Pro was launched to huge expectations which it has soundly failed to meet. It needed Beta firmware just to work for over a year after it went general access. The UXG Pro has been Beta for nearly two years and now the UDM Pro SE is just another diversion from the fact that Chris Buechler has utterly cocked up the UniFi routing division. After 4 years of promising the UDM Pro finally got Multi-WAN interfaces, but only on DHCP connections. If you have a fixed IP or a PPPoE authenticated ISP connection it still doesn’t work. Ask yourself honestly what extra features your £350 for a UDM pro will get you and then by all means keep your USG. At least that’s stable.
So, not a fan then :D

Soldato
So, not a fan then :D

Well, I was their biggest supporter and defender and I basically believed all their promises. And they pretty much let me down on every one. Between September 2017 and September 2018 we spent over £75,000 on UniFi equipment. In the following financial year, £60,000 and 2019 - 2020 only £38,000 and it wasn’t due to COVID. We just stopped buying the USGs and UDMs and bought Mikrotik, Qotom and SuperMicro instead. We still buy the switches and access points but we ditched the routers as they were massively costly in terms of support time. They just don’t do very much and what they do, they don’t do very well or even reliably.

Associate
Hi all, looking back it's about 2 years since I got the UDM (non pro) and broadly speaking I've been super happy. It's worked reliably without any of the flakiness we saw with the VM Super Hub (2 I think). I'm looking to extend a bit and was hoping for some advice please.

At the moment we just have the UDM sat on top of a bookcase in our lounge next where the Virgin Media port already was when we bought the place. I work from home and my office is on the floor above ("Bedroom 3"), at the opposite side of the house. Wifi is a bit spotty in the office and bathroom but otherwise pretty solid.

I'd been thinking of locating a Unifi POE switch somewhere upstairs, getting someone in to run a network cable or two up behind the guttering downpipe outside the lounge and then using the loft space to run ethernet to drop down initially just into the office (Mac, Printer, NAS) and upstairs landing for an additional wifi access point.

Most of our other devices are Wifi, but we do have one of the Sonos, an Apple TV 4K, Xbox and a Raspberry Pi running ZWay in the lounge.

I had initially thought a Unifi Flex switch (USW-Flex) in the attic might be a good idea, as we don't have any power sockets up there and it looks like it can be POE powered and also power the AP via POE, however reading up on some older threads that's either a great idea or a terrible one depending on who you ask. It also seems to be sold out everywhere.

Other candidates for a switch might be the cupboards over the stairs in either Bedroom 1 or Bedroom 3 (currently an office but as we have two young kids not forever).

House is block with cavity walls (insulated).

Any help much appreciated.

floorplan.png

Man of Honour
Can anyone explain this weirdness I sometimes get with my USG Pro? Sometimes it'll start to drop packets and a reboot seems to be the only cure. It'll be fine for a few weeks and then for whatever reason it happens again.

e698efa0ac878fb6b0e48f65140496811bca54b5-11-11-2021.png

Man of Honour
This was a thing on v4.x.x.x firmwares with a memory leak. Some people put 4-8Gb RAM sticks in their USG Pros but eventually it still occurred. Are you on the last/current stable Firmware?
The loss stopped when I upgraded it to the latest firmware yesterday. However it was occurring before the firmware upgrade and would also happily sit with no packet loss for weeks. If it's fixed with the latest then I guess I shouldn't have the issue again.

Soldato
The loss stopped when I upgraded it to the latest firmware yesterday. However it was occurring before the firmware upgrade and would also happily sit with no packet loss for weeks. If it's fixed with the latest then I guess I shouldn't have the issue again.

Yep. I can't remember the exact issue but the machines would run for a couple of weeks then require a reboot. That was when people started putting 4Gb RAM sticks in and they could basically get the machines to run longer before the reboot was required. This was years back though. 2017 or 2018 Maybe?

Man of Honour
Well, if it is the memory leak issue, then the newest firmware definitely fixed it. Could you be moving significantly more data through the router since you went from 80/20Mbps to 900/100Mbps?
Most likely, yes. :)

I'm looking at upgrading it anyway, I'm after something that is 10 Gbps capable and I don't have any hope that UniFi are bringing anything to the table that's worth it any time soon.

Soldato
Hey. Are there any Wi-Fi 6 APs that will provide better range (house is fine, but signal on the driveway is currently very poor) and are compatible with the mounting bracket for my existing UAP-AC-Lite?

EDIT: WPA3 support would be a big bonus.

Last edited:
Soldato
Range is mainly limited by physics, APs are limited to a certain power output under law. The short answer is ‘probably not’.

If you need more coverage you really need an additional access point. I’d either get the WiFi 6 AP to replace to replace the current one and relocate the current one to a location where you need the coverage or add an outdoor rates AP and stick it on your soffits like the AC-mesh.

Soldato
Range is mainly limited by physics, APs are limited to a certain power output under law. The short answer is ‘probably not’.

If you need more coverage you really need an additional access point. I’d either get the WiFi 6 AP to replace to replace the current one and relocate the current one to a location where you need the coverage or add an outdoor rates AP and stick it on your soffits like the AC-mesh.

Ah okay, thanks. I was under the impression that the range was limited by the fact that it's a UAP-AC-Lite and not a AC LR or something else more fancy.

My EV charger gets a Wi-Fi signal on the driveway, but the car mostly doesn't which is annoying. I've had the UAP-AC-Lite for ages and I absolutely love it, so I was hoping to be able to switch it out with something like a Wi-Fi 6 NanoHD because the old one used the same mounting bracket as the UAP-AC-Lite, but it looks like they haven't released a Wi-Fi 6 version yet.

Soldato
If you are happy with the lite, then I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be happy with the U6 LR. It’s a 4x4 access point like the older nanoHD, should be a lot faster than your old lite and its wifi6.

It’s only ‘short coming’ is that it’s only capable of 1gbps through its RJ45 where as theoretically it could go faster than that on the WiFI side with the right client, however in the real world I don’t see that being an issue.

I’d buy that, see if it does the job, if not deploy the existing AP somewhere else so it also covers the drive.

Soldato
If you are happy with the lite, then I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be happy with the U6 LR. It’s a 4x4 access point like the older nanoHD, should be a lot faster than your old lite and its wifi6.

It’s only ‘short coming’ is that it’s only capable of 1gbps through its RJ45 where as theoretically it could go faster than that on the WiFI side with the right client, however in the real world I don’t see that being an issue.

I’d buy that, see if it does the job, if not deploy the existing AP somewhere else so it also covers the drive.

I'd consider the U6 LR but it doesn't appear to use the same mounting bracket as my old Wi-Fi 5 AC Lite. I'll probably wait and see if they release a U6 NanoHD.

Soldato
I'd consider the U6 LR but it doesn't appear to use the same mounting bracket as my old Wi-Fi 5 AC Lite. I'll probably wait and see if they release a U6 NanoHD.

U6-Lite is the same mounting bracket as UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-HDNano. The U6-LR and U6-Pro use the same mounting bracket as the UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-HD, UAP-AC-SHD.

And yes, as @b0rn2sk8 stated, you can re-use some of the existing mounting holes.

Have you considered the U6-Lite?

Back
Top Bottom