*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
It’s a completely different device. One is a combination of a souped-up USG, UCK Gen1, UAP-FlexHD and a four-port switch and the other is a completely new router with a 10Gbps routing capacity, an 8-port switch, a UCK Gen2+ without the hard drive. The UDM has been out for almost a year and it was in Beta for almost a year before that. They launched it with a few issues but in general those issues were resolved by Firmware 1.5.x which is what the UDM-Pro launched with. The UDM Pro is effectively still only fully stable with Beta firmware although the current 1.8.x firmware is OK for most home users. The UDM-Pro is a cluster-**** of epic proportions and the newer (less feature-rich) UXG-Pro will take over once it’s launched [soon] and the UDM-Pro will be killed off quietly like the USG-8-XG and the UniFi Server XG and many other UniFi devices that never quite made the cut.

As a good rule of thumb, NEVER buy anything a UniFi for 6 months after launch. Let someone else do the beta-testing and you’ll probably be OK. But the UDM-Pro is a DOG of a router. Just scratch it off your shopping list and get something else. You’ll thank me.

Soldato
Is the UDM ever going to get any new firmware? Official is still 1.5.6 from back in March. Admittedly I don't have any issues and I know most things aren't quite on track this year for obvious reasons but I'd just like something new to faff around with :) I see that 1.8.0 is out with beta support for the UDM non-Pro but I'm not sure I can be bothered with that. Anyone tried it?

Soldato
Then leave it alone and be grateful it’s working.

Firmware 1.8.x basically fixed the 10Gbps/SFP+ issue on the UDM Pro.

New features come in the controller, not the firmware, usually so wait for the 6.x controller release and then you can faff around to your hearts content.
What was the 10Gb/SFP+ issue?

Soldato
It doesn’t work. Or it works for a few minutes then falls over. They fixed it in 1.7.2 Beta or 1.7.3 Beta then broke it again in 1.7.4 Beta. It’s not been a great time for either the US (routing) or Polish (Controller) teams.
It sounds like a disaster. I've actually got a UDM Pro now as well, I got one brand new for a decent price and it's been solid since I set it up. But I've turned off automatic updates just in case. Fortunately, it does everything I need and want, and luckily I don't need to use the SFP+ port yet as I "only" have a gigabit connection.

Soldato
The UDM Pro itself hasn't been that problematic for me personally as I got one to test on the Beta programme and didn't install any with customers (even though I lost 2 customers over that refusal) and we installed Mikrotik RB4011 or SuperMicro based Untangle appliance.

What has been a catastrophe is the v6 controller as I think anything where we allowed customers to upgrade we had to physically attend site to roll it back to 5.14. And it's not as if v6 is anything more than a cosmetic side-grade anyway.

Soldato
Soldato
Hi again all...

Voice over WiFi calls. When roaming between 2/3 access points, the call drops. Is there any way to have proper "seamless" roaming where the call won't drop?

Thanks

Soldato
No, if you’re on WiFi calling or something similar then you always have to drop the connection when you roam between access points. If you’re using a wireless VOIP solution like UniFi Talk then it buffers so you can roam without dropping the connection but on the WiFi calling solution then it will drop the connection.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
The UDM Pro itself hasn't been that problematic for me personally as I got one to test on the Beta programme and didn't install any with customers (even though I lost 2 customers over that refusal) and we installed Mikrotik RB4011 or SuperMicro based Untangle appliance.

What has been a catastrophe is the v6 controller as I think anything where we allowed customers to upgrade we had to physically attend site to roll it back to 5.14. And it's not as if v6 is anything more than a cosmetic side-grade anyway.

Mines been pretty solid to be fair with no issues using the 10Gbps/SFP+ (UniFi UF-MM-10G SFP's - Internally) it does have a few annoying things with PPPoE connections as it doesn't let you set the MTU annoyingly and the MSS Clamping doesn't follow normal logic.

I do tend to flip flop between the UDMP and PFSense.

What do you use for the Untangled appliances? Supermicro E200-9B?

Associate
My MiL wants to extend her WiFi for reasons. She uses Virgin as her IP and she is looking at buying a mesh system.
Is it possible for me to buy her an AP and run cat 5e cable to an AP lite or something similar from her Virgin router without a controller?
Could I create another site on my UDM-Pro and manage it that way?

Soldato
My MiL wants to extend her WiFi for reasons. She uses Virgin as her IP and she is looking at buying a mesh system.
Is it possible for me to buy her an AP and run cat 5e cable to an AP lite or something similar from her Virgin router without a controller?
Could I create another site on my UDM-Pro and manage it that way?

No, the controller on the UDM Pro is crippled so it can only control itself and yes, you can buy an AP-AC-Lite, cable it up to your router and configure it as a stand-alone access point in the UniFi app.

Associate
Why exactly is the UDM Pro no good whilst the standard UDM is solid?

because the UDM and the software is like one big beta test. ive returned a few of them over time and the software is still so flaky and trying to troubleshoot takes a lot longer. Reminds me of the early days of unifi when their software was so unstable the upgrade was only for the brave.

Associate
Need a quick thing confirming for me... Does all the Ubiquiti stuff require a subscription, or is it only items/services?
I keep coming across subscription costs, but it's unclear what it is/isn't needed for. I'm tempted to get one of their WAPs, but I don't want to have to pay a subscription to use it.

Back
Top Bottom