*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
See if any of the regulars on this thread post any good results with the latest version, but I'm still sitting on 5.14.23.0 as I've been stung before on updating to newer versions before they've been thoroughly tested by others.

Soldato
New controller software 6.0.28-14280-1 - any thoughts on it?

I think I've been lucky as I've had no problems with v6.0 though I am staying away from 6.1 for now. The new settings are best avoided, they're randonly a bit broken. For example, I added a new VLAN recently but using the new settings it wouldn't take my choice of DNS servers but if I revert to the classic (and better) settings it worked fine.

Soldato
Fair enough. I have just added a third AP AC PRO to the setup and I copied the settings from another. Now, every time I try to do anything to it I get "There was an error saving the changes to UAP-AC-Pro:8fc3. Invalid API request."
Can't even give it an alias. Guess I will have to reset it -.-

I've never bothered using the copy settings stuff, setting up an AP from scratch is a 5 minute job normally so that's what I do.

Soldato
I think I've been lucky as I've had no problems with v6.0 though I am staying away from 6.1 for now. The new settings are best avoided, they're randonly a bit broken. For example, I added a new VLAN recently but using the new settings it wouldn't take my choice of DNS servers but if I revert to the classic (and better) settings it worked fine.

Are these two versions both in beta?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the clarification all. So to setup/change settings etc, you can use a PC programme, without the cloud controller? If I host the cloud controller myself (It looks like there are unraid dockers I could use), do I need to purchase the cloud key, or is the hosted SW enough?
Yeah host it on Unraid. My controller runs on a Ubuntu VM.

Soldato
OK thank you. I have been updating to the latest to be honest did not realise that there were so many potential bugs on later releases.... I will give the updates a break for now

First rule of running Ubiquiti: Accept that you're a beta-tester :p

Seriously though, I give it a couple of weeks before I update small releases and at least a month on larger releases.

Other oddities will seamingly always exist. Like DPI being useless for example and the fact that the CKG2+ controller and autobackups are stored on the hard drive by default (part that's most likely to fail) and if you want to switch backups to the SDCard you'll have to do this manually via system.properties. Want to backup the Protect config to SD too? Nope, no options to change the auto-backup location...

Last edited:
Soldato
I see Beta 6.1 has both Multiple IP addresses on the WAN port and multiple WAN IP addresses on multiple ports. But only on the UXG-Pro at the moment. You’d have to say, the UDM-Pro is looking increasingly like it’s on life support at the moment. I reckon they’ll quietly pull the plug once the UXG- Pro goes General Access Release.

Associate
Need a quick thing confirming for me... Does all the Ubiquiti stuff require a subscription, or is it only items/services?
I keep coming across subscription costs, but it's unclear what it is/isn't needed for. I'm tempted to get one of their WAPs, but I don't want to have to pay a subscription to use it.

no subscription

Soldato
OK thank you. I have been updating to the latest to be honest did not realise that there were so many potential bugs on later releases.... I will give the updates a break for now
Once youv had one device completely hard reset due to a buggy update you tend to just leave them for a good year before bothering.

Associate
I’m new to Ubiquiti, and have just purchased a Unify Dream Machine.

I’m looking to create some VLANs for my wired devices. Do you need to have a managed Ubiquiti switch to achieve this or will any managed switch do the job?

Soldato
I’m new to Ubiquiti, and have just purchased a Unify Dream Machine.

I’m looking to create some VLANs for my wired devices. Do you need to have a managed Ubiquiti switch to achieve this or will any managed switch do the job?

You can use any managed switch but if you use a UniFi switch the controller will automatically assign all the relevant information for you. If you use any other switch you’ll have to tag the VLAN numbers to the switch ports yourself. Keeping it all UniFi does simplify everything massively.

Associate
We are moving to our new home in the next few weeks and have got FTTH via MTH Networks (OFNL). I want to upgrade our wifi and connections around the house so we are going to get a UDM downstairs and a Flex HD on the 1st floor and 2nd floor (master bedroom).

I have never used Ubiquiti kit, having used the standard BT Smart Hub before. I have been told by MTH Networks that we don't need a Router and to "PPPoE" direct to the UDM? I have no idea what this means and what i need to do. Any pointers?

Soldato
Yes, it’s super easy. When you set up the UDM it will ask for your connection type. Select PPPoE and enter your Username and password. Hit enter and it will connect. Eventually! It might take 20 minutes the first time but just be patient.

Back
Top Bottom