*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I think my house is made of paper.
With the U7 Pro in my loft I have currently -57dB from it in the kitchen downstairs for the 6Ghz channel.
Mines engineering brick, solid plaster, and concrete blocks.
Multiple APs set to low power are my preferred layout anyway.

Tx retries is going up as well at 19% now.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, WAN failover for UDMP. I can order a cheap FTTC/Cable connection as fallback (easy as I have a suitable modem for FTTC, and VM would run modem mode), or go 4G which has higher upfront costs, but lower ongoing and no contract and potentially faster, though CGNAT.

Anyone using a 4G modem that supports RJ45 and bridge mode? I am trying to avoid having go janky eg Pi and USB dongle, i’m thinking Netgear LM1200/M1 or Mikrotik LTE6, should I be looking for something else?

Soldato
So, WAN failover for UDMP. I can order a cheap FTTC/Cable connection as fallback (easy as I have a suitable modem for FTTC, and VM would run modem mode), or go 4G which has higher upfront costs, but lower ongoing and no contract and potentially faster, though CGNAT.

Anyone using a 4G modem that supports RJ45 and bridge mode? I am trying to avoid having go janky eg Pi and USB dongle, i’m thinking Netgear LM1200/M1 or Mikrotik LTE6, should I be looking for something else?
Maybe one of the GL.inet offerings? Can't recall if they have something suitable for 4g/5g in the UK mind you.

Man of Honour

UniFi do something... :cry:

TBH both FTTP and VM are rock solid where I live, if I ever do have an issue I'll just use a personal hotspot, or get someone to fire up a port on my ONT while I'm with VM.

Associate
Recently got a Cloud Gateway Ultra and a Raspberry Pi 5. I've put Pi Hole on the Pi and added the IP address of it to the DHCP server. It appears to be working but when Pi Hole is enabled, I can't access the dashboard locally from a PC, only when I set the DNS Server under DHCP back to auto. If I try with the Unifi app, I can access it. Any ideas?

Edit: Can I also plug the Pi directly in to the Cloud Gateway Ultra? Currently got it connected to a switch.

Last edited:
Soldato
UniFi do something... :cry:

TBH both FTTP and VM are rock solid where I live, if I ever do have an issue I'll just use a personal hotspot, or get someone to fire up a port on my ONT while I'm with VM.
Honestly, it’s highly unlikely to get used much, if ever, but after the 38hr Yayzi incident, it’s a situation that needs revisiting, and that’s why 4G appeals.

Maybe one of the GL.inet offerings? Can't recall if they have something suitable for 4g/5g in the UK mind you.
They claim to, but user feedback on bridge mode working is less that brilliant, besides I could just go OWRT and have an easier time of it with USB modem support.

Soldato
Honestly, it’s highly unlikely to get used much, if ever, but after the 38hr Yayzi incident, it’s a situation that needs revisiting, and that’s why 4G appeals.

They claim to, but user feedback on bridge mode working is less that brilliant, besides I could just go OWRT and have an easier time of it with USB modem support.
More than likely, seems they have now gone closed source which won't please a lot of people.

Associate
Recently got a Cloud Gateway Ultra and a Raspberry Pi 5. I've put Pi Hole on the Pi and added the IP address of it to the DHCP server. It appears to be working but when Pi Hole is enabled, I can't access the dashboard locally from a PC, only when I set the DNS Server under DHCP back to auto. If I try with the Unifi app, I can access it. Any ideas?

Edit: Can I also plug the Pi directly in to the Cloud Gateway Ultra? Currently got it connected to a switch.
Just to update on this. Had to check the "Use conditional forwarding" option in the DNS section of the Pi Hole settings and then fill in the settings as below. Can access the dashboard from a PC again now :)

The Pi also seems to work fine in one of the spare ports on the Cloud Gateway Ultra. I wasn't sure if they were individual ports like on the mini pc's that are available.

Soldato
Took a bit of a punt on a NanoHD at £35 for a family member, they don't have a quick internet connection, so it'll be dropped onto the ceiling area of their bungalow to cover the front portion of the house, which is generally has Alex, Ring and iPad devices connected.

Been indicated end of May for Cloud Gateway Ultra UK stock, I wonder if supply has slowed due to sorting the screen issue on the first batch of units and Red Sea shipping routes has been mentioned in general.

Soldato
Took a bit of a punt on a NanoHD at £35 for a family member, they don't have a quick internet connection, so it'll be dropped onto the ceiling area of their bungalow to cover the front portion of the house, which is generally has Alex, Ring and iPad devices connected.

Been indicated end of May for Cloud Gateway Ultra UK stock, I wonder if supply has slowed due to sorting the screen issue on the first batch of units and Red Sea shipping routes has been mentioned in general.
If that was the eBay one, I considered it too, for the money it’s about the sweet spot vs the U6+.

I just wanted an easy way to segregate SSID’s for ‘normal’ and VPN traffic as device tagging on Unifi for routing all traffic to VPN is still not seemingly working as I would expect. Anyway a U6 Pro is on its way now.

Man of Honour
IMG-9236.jpg

5 dual port 25 Gb NICs arrived in 6 days from China. £170 delivered which I'm really happy about as a single one in the UK is around £85 from the likes of bargain hardware. Running at 10 Gbps until I figure out which switch to get but it may have to be the Mikrotik, but then again the volume I use on my NAS is SATA SSD based so unlikely to see any benefit with 25 Gbps but at least I'm future proofed.

Man of Honour
C’mon, it’s a stretch to say they make SMB level kit, thats enterprise and until they can get a bunch of influencers to shill for them other than Linus, that ain't happening.
It doesn't have RDMA, I wouldn't really call it enterprise. But, for a homelab it's ideal looking at the power consumption and noise. Break the 100 GbE ports out into SFP28 and it's a 16x 25 GbE switch for £6/700. It makes the Aggregation Pro look comically expensive for what it is.

Soldato
Will this position be impacting performance?

tr7nzGL.jpg

Would I see better performance mounting it further out?
At the minute even in the rooms either side performance isn't great. Lot of devices downstairs now around -70db.

Last edited:
Soldato
-70 dBm isn't great either side of the AP, there must be some metal work in there. You want to place an AP about 5m away from any metal work where possible, under a metal beam fine as the signal is to the ground etc.

Also check the obvious power levels...

Last edited:
Soldato
-70 dBm isn't great either side of the AP, there must be some metal work in there. You want to place an AP about 5m away from any metal work where possible, under a metal beam fine as the signal is to the ground etc.

Also check the obvious power levels.
No metalwork, just solid plaster both sides of a aerated concrete block wall.

Above is foil backed insulation which I wondered if it didn't like.
Power levels are on Auto.

There's a FireTV stick on the living room below and to the right that's 5ghz at -78db.
A TV in the room on the left at 2.4ghz -59db.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom