** Official World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Thread **

Soldato
With patch 4.3, so the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Ahh cool, it's quite an interesting update.

And...

WoW Lost 800k Subscribers, down to 10.3M
Activision Blizzard latest earning call revealed that World of Warcraft lost another 800,000 subscribers last quarter, following the loss of 300k subscribers announced last quarter and 600k loss from the quarter before that. This brings us to 1.7 million subscribers lost in the last 3 quarters. Some things they made note of on the call:

• Most of the subscriptions were lost in China.
  • There is normally an increase in subscriptions around December.
  • The decreased profit came from all of the games in development and no launches occurring.
  • There will be at least two major releases next year.
It may be fuel for some, but it isn't a suprise and is still one hell of a lot of subs.

Man of Honour
Yeah I saw that, it's important to note they were mostly in China, though I'm not sure how many 'most' is. :p

A lot of people have also unsubscribed ready for Star Wars, but after that they will end up coming back unless Star Wars is absolutely amazing. Possible but it's a big ask.

Same for Pandaria, sure, it looks bizarre but it will no doubt be good and bring a lot of people back, as will 4.3.

Associate
Going to play WoW for a while and I want to play on a RP realm. I have chosen Argent Dawn as that seems to be the best in the EU. Anyone agree? Or am I making a mistake :p

Man of Honour
Going to play WoW for a while and I want to play on a RP realm. I have chosen Argent Dawn as that seems to be the best in the EU. Anyone agree? Or am I making a mistake :p

Why an RP realm?

Have a look at this list and see what you think, it gives a good idea of the servers overall, Argent Dawn is a loooooong way down (though it seems to be the best RP server)... :p

http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/eu/lang.en

Soldato
Hey, another doubtless dumb question but can someone explain to me the benefit of macros in game?

I'm a lvl 60 disc/shadow priest and in instances i tend to just drop heals on the tank. I can't work out what I can do with Macros that isn't easy enough just to do myself. I understand you can't chain spells and tbh that's the only real thing I could see being a benefit.

I'm sure I'm wrong though and as I've just bought a nostromo speedpad off ebay I'm keen to make full use of it if macros genuinely do improve things.

Associate
For Disc priest im not sure what macro's you need. Best advice for healing is to download a healing addon. I prefer to use healbot. Others use grid, each to their own. These addons help to cast heals on your party without having to select the spell and then target someone.

Maybe you could find a macro for your shadowfiend so you press one buttn and it auto attacks the nearest target.

Associate
Hey, another doubtless dumb question but can someone explain to me the benefit of macros in game?

I'm a lvl 60 disc/shadow priest and in instances i tend to just drop heals on the tank. I can't work out what I can do with Macros that isn't easy enough just to do myself. I understand you can't chain spells and tbh that's the only real thing I could see being a benefit.

I'm sure I'm wrong though and as I've just bought a nostromo speedpad off ebay I'm keen to make full use of it if macros genuinely do improve things.

Macros can help streamline things you want to do or just generally change the way things are done for example:

I use Grid to heal which essentially provides me with a series of boxes to heal, now rather than select and press a heal, I use a mouseover macro to heal the target that I am hovering over, essentially saving a click. This macro tends to look like this:
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help,nodead] Rejuvenation; Rejuvenation

The same can be done to dmg dealing spells too.

You can't really chain two spells together if they both use a GCD, you can however create a macro that provides you a list of abilities that changes when you click it, for example I use the following on my hunter:

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=target/5 Serpent Sting, Hunter's Mark

When I press it once it uses Serpent Sting, then when I press it again it uses Hunters Mark but it will reset back after 5 seconds.

Or, you can chain two spells that don't use a GCD, like the following:

#showtooltip Healing Touch
/cast Nature's Swiftness
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help,nodead] Healing Touch; Healing Touch

This will cast Natures Swiftness then automatically cast Healing Touch.

So yeah, I recommend reading into what you can do with macros specific for your class, a good place to start would be here, look at the menu bar to the right to find class specific macros that you may find helpful :)

Last edited:
Associate
My friend downloaded a 10 day trial and is playing and has asked me to join him. I used to play wow last year. I've got WoW original and WoW Burning Crusade on disc and purchased WoW Wrath of Lich King online through WoW. I've signed up for the 10 day free trial but it's for Cataclysm.

Can I install WoW from the discs I have and download Wrath of Lich King somewhere or do I have to download all 11gb including Cata?

I'm just wondering if I can play my old characters and not purchase cata to play with my mate?

Soldato
You'll be just as well downloading the fresh client as whats on your discs is pretty much useless now.

Should be able to play your old characters without buying cata, you just won't be able to make a Goblin/Worgen or level past 80.

Associate
So if I download the 10gb game, that includes all of the Wow games (original/burning crusade/wrath of lich king/catacylsm) and all the patches so far or what?

After the 10 day trial is up and I want to play my level 80 mage or any of my characters, can I do that with the wrath of lich king cd key I have? I don't want to purchase cataclysm but I want to play my old characters and wrath of lich king if that makes sense!

Cheers for the fast reply

Soldato
So if I download the 10gb game, that includes all of the Wow games (original/burning crusade/wrath of lich king/catacylsm) and all the patches so far or what?

After the 10 day trial is up and I want to play my level 80 mage or any of my characters, can I do that with the wrath of lich king cd key I have? I don't want to purchase cataclysm but I want to play my old characters and wrath of lich king if that makes sense!

Cheers for the fast reply

Well you'll need a sub after the 10 days are up, but yeah you'll be able to play them, dunno what you could do though.. Also wouldn't it be easier to just copy your friends WoW folder to a external HDD then copy it to your PC?

On another note, my game time just expired, yet I have the Annual Pass on my account :p

Soldato

Yes, it's also a streaming client so once its got enough you can start playing while i downloads.

If you resub the old characters will be availalbe to play, without cata you just won't really be able to do much on a lvl80 as you can't level and the BG/Instance queues will be huge. Nothing stopping you levelling other characters (to a max of 80) though.

IIRC the 10 day trial was replaced with a starter edition that allows unlimited duration of play but limited to lvl20.

Associate
Well you'll need a sub after the 10 days are up, but yeah you'll be able to play them, dunno what you could do though.. Also wouldn't it be easier to just copy your friends WoW folder to a external HDD then copy it to your PC?

On another note, my game time just expired, yet I have the Annual Pass on my account :p

Ah great that makes sense! And yeah it would but I'll just leave my PC on to download it overnight :p

Yes, it's also a streaming client so once its got enough you can start playing while i downloads.

If you resub the old characters will be availalbe to play, without cata you just won't really be able to do much on a lvl80 as you can't level and the BG/Instance queues will be huge. Nothing stopping you levelling other characters (to a max of 80) though.

IIRC the 10 day trial was replaced with a starter edition that allows unlimited duration of play but limited to lvl20.

That's good to know. I just phoned WoW up and they said the 10.6GB full game client includes all of the Wow games and all patches so as soon as it's downloaded I can start playing where I left off!

I was in the process of installing all of the WoW games from CD and patches..thank god they made this 10.6GB game client, saves me SO much hassle! haha

After the 10 days is up and I buy some game time I can play WOLK like before but won't have acccess to Cata obviously.

I'm not bothered about leveling past 80 right now. I'm going to recruit my friend and get 3x exp and try and get as high as I can :p. But I'm happy that I can play where I left off.

Cheers for the help!

Soldato
So as a lvl 64-70 Disc priest am I still pretty much just going to use healbot renew and greater heal on the tank in 5 man dungeons? Do I really need to think about prayer of healing etc yet?

Back
Top Bottom