Oh goody, injection in the spine, really looking forward to this ...

Soldato
My mum suffers from Sciatica.. she was bed bound by it at one point we had to call an ambulance to her... I think she had the injection and its worked for her, although she does suffer with the pain a little still sometimes..

Soldato
OP
Holy crap that hurt! Not quite the "hollow nail and hammer" i'd been expecting, but sticking a needle into a bit of the body with no flesh on it sodding hurts. 1st jab was the anasthetic, so i didn't feel the other two jabs.

And he told me it could be 7-10 days before it sorts me out. :(

I've had trouble with a slipped disc before and that was bad enough, but this is totally debilitating, can't even drive the SJ some days and i can't put enough pressure into the brake pedal to stop the bleeding thing!

ARGH!!!! Hacked off now, was hoping to get back to work in the next few days. :mad:

/me goes off to sulk

Caporegime
My gran had it done about 20 years ago after she broke her neck and her back. She said it hurt.

It doesn't hurt forever though. Well, her back does, just not where she was injected.

Associate
SB118 said:
Holy crap that hurt! Not quite the "hollow nail and hammer" i'd been expecting, but sticking a needle into a bit of the body with no flesh on it sodding hurts. 1st jab was the anasthetic, so i didn't feel the other two jabs.

And he told me it could be 7-10 days before it sorts me out. :(

I've had trouble with a slipped disc before and that was bad enough, but this is totally debilitating, can't even drive the SJ some days and i can't put enough pressure into the brake pedal to stop the bleeding thing!

ARGH!!!! Hacked off now, was hoping to get back to work in the next few days. :mad:

/me goes off to sulk

What did they advise re work and driving

Soldato
I think I'm going to have to have a cyst removed from my tail bone soon :eek: . No doubt I'll be having an injection in the back if I'm not put to sleep. Nice to know how painful it is :D .

Associate
Sinque said:
I had a Lumbar Puncture a few years back in the bottom of my spine. They told me 'it barely hurts' and that 'you'll be put to sleep before they do it'. I got in there, I got put in a body lock by some nurses and away they drilled. It was the most painful thing i've ever felt in my entire life. After all that the thing failed as I was in too much pain for them to continue and not enough marrow was extracted. I just wanted to smack them. Did have an apology off the doctor etc though...

Well, this is pretty much my worst nightmare summed up in a paragraph - well done.

Soldato
OP
The Judge said:
What did they advise re work and driving

Nothing much, was advised not to drive for 24 hours as i might have reduced power in my effected leg (said by law i had to do an emergency stop, NO chance of that right now)

As for work, i just need to be able to move with less pain and i can get on with things (i work for myself, can't handle 9-5 routine stuff)
Currently setting up a vegoil filtering system for a farmer. Gotta love the veg :D

Mark A said:
I think I'm going to have to have a cyst removed from my tail bone soon :eek: . No doubt I'll be having an injection in the back if I'm not put to sleep. Nice to know how painful it is :D .

My doctor was a star, that bit where they say "you'll feel a slight scratch...", he said it about 1/10th of a second before he stabbed me with the first needle. Git. But i did appologise to him about my language :(

Associate
S7rider said:
First of all...

1- Go to a your GP
2- Be seen my a professional who is reconised by the national health (i.e. a physiotherapist) oesteopaths/cryopracters ect... are not employed by the national health - why? because there is crap all evidence behind their practice..

3- after the Gp - be seen by a physiotherapist, if that doesnt work, see a consultant.. and dont get an epidural injection from a cowboy. check credentials as u need a 2 year post grad orthopeadic medical certificate to be able to inject..

Please, take his advice. What you are about to embark on is not to be taken lightly. I wont go through it all, but the complications are very serious and very permanent, we're talking about getting used to the view from chair height kind of seriousness.

Go see your GP and get a consultant orthopedic opinion. DO NOT let a non-medically qualified person poke one of the non-regenerative parts of your anatomy.

I know about the no medical advice rule, but this is too serious to pass over and cannot ethically watch him put himself at risk.

Permabanned
I'm not bragging or out to score points, but here is some of my experiences.

Lumbar puncture - too out of it to notice and don't remember a thing. The doctors were treating me for suspected meningitis.

Spinal injections, or any injections for that matter: get the doctor to tell you when they're about to do it, breath in deeply through your nose at this point, then as soon as you feel the needle go in, breathe out slowly. (Basic pain management skill here, especially during childbirth)

I have also had denervation involving several points in my spine for which I used the above technique and was voted best patient of the week, twice, with my consultant telling his second in command that they should teach this technique to his other patients.

Sciatica - suffered for months but it suddenly stopped when I got rid of the car, a BMW which a friend had lent me for a few months. I have spoken to 3 other owners of the same model and most of them seem to have suffered from similar back problems. Maybe it was the way we were sitting or something, but it was an amazing coincidence.

Good luck to anyone with back / neck problems. It is so debilitating and makes life really miserable.

Soldato
You wont treat sciatica with an injection. It might clear it up for a while. Unless you stop whats causing it it just going to come back. Theres no way someone's sticking a needle in my spine unless theres no alternative. And if there is no alternative id rather live with it then run the risk.

Have you actually seen a proper physiotherapist?

And for what its worth Osteopaths. Youd' be better off getting treatment from a plumber. Useless, unregulated cowboys.

Last edited:

HaX

HaX

Associate
Thought I may aswell resurrect this thread. I've had sciatica on and off now for over two years. I can go for a few days, or even weeks with little or no pain, and then weeks or months in constant pain.

I've started seeing a chiropractor, and have been having treatment for 2-3 weeks. Currently having a very bad episode of it at the moment. I can barely walk, can't stand for too long, and sitting down is also very painful. As of yet Ibuprofen isn't touching it :(

The strange thing is, is that it is less painful for me to run, than it is to walk. I can also really go hell for leather on a push bike with out too much pain aswell.

Soldato
OP
Another thread resurection...

After 2 separate epidurals, repeated manipulations, they've requested an MRI scan for me. Oh goody.

Always wondered what a microwave curry felt like.

Associate
Unlucky mate I feel for you. my dad had this a while ago and luckily for him it went away after having an injection :( Get well soon dude, hope the scan goes well

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

hey man,,,,

it sounds sore... in fact i am sure it will be very sore..

but i am sure its for the best mate!!

good luck and i hope your feelin better soon!

Associate
I can totally relate to this, after having two of these injections for sciatica and lower back pain due to two herniated discs. I have absolutely no memory of the injections themselves as I was taken right out of it by the sedation they gave me through the IV and had no pain afterwards related to the injection. I ended up having a discectomy which has really helped and the sciatica is completely gone although I will be honest and say that the pain resulting from the surgery was something else.

Good luck with the MRI. I've had two of these and they are no bother. It can be a bit freaky of you are uncomfortable in confined spaces but I just closed my eyes and let my mind wander and it was over in about 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom