Oh noes. Screen burn?? On 2007

Soldato
:'(

burn.JPG

My camera sucks but you can see the recyle bin icon.

I'm using a program called Dead pixel buddy. It will change the colour of the screen and when I set it to black I can see it. I first noticed it in HL2 - Garrys mod on the first screen when you start it.

-------------

As I finished typing that ^^^ I kept this window open and launched DPB. This is what I see LINK

Think I should phone the people that make this monitor and get it replaced?

Mud

Mud

Soldato
How long have you had the screen? These things can happen over extended periods, but it's never happened to me and I can be a bit laissez faire about not rotating startbars and icons etc.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Screens are most sensitive to burn when they're new (in the burn-in period), keep moving images over the burnt patch (movies/pixel helper programs) and see if it disappears...if it doesn't then start complaining sooner rather than later.

Soldato
I heard in another thread that it happens if you leave the monitor on without the screen changing for a long period of time, and that if you turn the monitor off for the same amount of time it will dissapear..

Suspended
This is on a LCD?
I have noticed slight image retention on the overclocks shop site, the large black box on the top. Say browsing for 10 minutes, then alt-tab to notepad which is full-screen- I can see difference in whiteness between the top and few inches down (for about 2-3) seconds

Soldato
squiffy said:
This is on a LCD?

Yup, got a quote from another thread:

stoofa said:
You cannot "burn-in" an LCD in the same way you can a CRT or even a Plasma.
Mainly because the technology behind an LCD is so different - you aren't firing an electron gun, so you can't burn it.
You can suffer from what is known as "After Image".
If a static image has been displayed for a long period of time then after you turn off the LCD the mage is still there.

You can fix this usually by either leaving the LCD switched off for the same amount of time as the static image was on screen.
Alternatively leave the screen running some fast moving or at least moving graphics for a similar amount of time as it was static.
This should clear the thing up and it will be as good as new again.

Soldato
OP
but should this be happening in the space of 3 minutes?

I didn't think a new LCD would do this. If it's a problem with all 2007s then I'm going to have to take it back. Cause I dont see why it should happen in a corner rather than all the screen.

Suspended
What is the monitor contrast set to? 100%? I agree though at worst it should be hours in the two figures range before you get image retention, especially for LCD.

Soldato
I have 2 2007WFP and mine have not done it that I have ever noticed (had them over a month now). Although my screen saver comes on after 5mins idle.

<edit> my brightness is set to 40% on each.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nah it's going back. Its on all corners and sides. I just have to look hard for it. I really hope they will do a same day swap.

Soldato
OP
Well without a service code I cant do anything. I can't find any numbers apart from the barcode. Anyone know where the service code is?

Soldato
fobose said:
Yup, got a quote from another thread:
LCDs can definitely get screen burn-in.

We had a 2005FPW come into work a couple of days ago that had been on 24/7 without a screensaver. You could clearly make out the XP Start Menu and desktop icons, and leaving it off for days didn't cure it.

Dell replaced it under warranty, for a 2007FPW! :o Might send my 2005FPW back now! :p

Tob3z said:
Well without a service code I cant do anything. I can't find any numbers apart from the barcode. Anyone know where the service code is?
Dell monitors don't have a service tag. You'll have to use the one that came with the Dell system (if applicable), or failing that Dell might ask for an order or invoice number.

Soldato
- Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer (Call Dell on 0870 9080800 and have the work number from the original packaging handy

It says that on OCUK website though? I am sure I checked my box's and they had a work number on them, although I cant be 100% sure and I cant be bothered to check in the loft.

Soldato
OP
tis OK. Gave them a ring. Very nice chap. Just gave him some details and before I knew it;

"OK I have arranged a delivery for you tomorrow"

Sweet. :)

Associate
Tob3z said:
tis OK. Gave them a ring. Very nice chap. Just gave him some details and before I knew it;

"OK I have arranged a delivery for you tomorrow"

Sweet. :)
Yeah, you may get away with the replacement because of the image persistence problem ... but I would say that manufacturers are usually not perfectly happy to exchange the panels because of this.

Anyhow, good to hear. I see that you have a bit of backlight leakage, so hopefully new monitor will be better.

rjd

rjd

Associate
Hi

I must admit I didn’t know that LCD displays could suffer from screen burn (I thought it only effected crt and plasma).

Having read this thread I have now activated a screen saver which come on after 15 mins.

Should I also activate the energy saving setting to turn off my monitor after say 30 mins?

What are the pros and cons e.g wear and tear, of the LCD back light going off and on a number of times as opposed to leaving it on all the time (other than the saving in electricity costs)?

Is your monitor set up to go off after a set time or do you leave it on?

I would appreciate your comments.

Soldato
OP
I got the monitor replaced at half 8 this morning. This one is fine and I leave it on for 20 minutes on a stable image and no screen burn.

This hasn't scared me into letting my screen saver cut in quicker and I rly dont think screen burn is something which is a problem. It was a faulty monitor that was all.

My screen saver comes on after 15 minutes and then monitor goes on standby 5 minutes after that.

Back
Top Bottom