Ok, how will this work? (RSJ related)

Soldato
I am a chartered structural engineer, and this looks botched. How incompetent does the engineer have to be not to think about the connection detailing. It could have easily been detailed early on properly, as opposed to what's there now.

Not only that, but the fact you whole rear wall is being removed, and only a RSJ installed rings alarm bells to me. I would have expected a rigid steel frame to reinstate lateral stability lost due to the rear wall removal + possibly foundation strengthening (due to width of opening). You might be in luck assuming your neighbour still has their back wall for stability. But i personally would never take such a risk for my clients.

Padstone installation looks terrible too as they are not course into the brickwork to help disperse the load. This could result in cracks long term.

I'm planning a similar build at the moment, just sorting building quotes at the moment. We have been spec'd a similar set up but with three RSJs two to hold the back wall (main span) with a bolted 'tee' beam to hold the existing internal wall (which i dont think is load bearing because the beams run in the parallel to the smaller beam)

There is no mention of a steel frame for ours either. Same set up as the op 1930s house i think with a similar span too.

Soldato
I'm planning a similar build at the moment, just sorting building quotes at the moment. We have been spec'd a similar set up but with three RSJs two to hold the back wall (main span) with a bolted 'tee' beam to hold the existing internal wall (which i dont think is load bearing because the beams run in the parallel to the smaller beam)

There is no mention of a steel frame for ours either. Same set up as the op 1930s house i think with a similar span too.
We have no rigid steel frame in our side return extension just horizontal steels supported at each end on new or existing walls. It is standard practice I've seen loads done and never seen a steel frame.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input all.

Ended up getting 2 further SE engaged and additional building control inspector. End result is additional plate and existing weld more than sufficient based on calcs. Signed off by Se and bc now.

Padstone are course with brick work. That was a mid install pic. No steel frame required. New foundations were installed under all 3 walls bearing steel load.

Soldato
Thanks for the input all.

Ended up getting 2 further SE engaged and additional building control inspector. End result is additional plate and existing weld more than sufficient based on calcs. Signed off by Se and bc now.

Padstone are course with brick work. That was a mid install pic. No steel frame required. New foundations were installed under all 3 walls bearing steel load.

Glad it's getting sorted!

Soldato

The requirement for a frame will be dependent on each property and determined by the SE. Usually the more wall left over in the back face, the less likely you need the columns forming the frame.

Associate
We are in the process of taking 2/3 of the back of the house out. We are only putting in a 6m single RSJ, not a connected one. We originally had a steel frame specced to support one end but building control did not like it and (with structural engineer) replaced it with much longer pad-stones sitting on the inner leaf. Break through is the week after xmas. Good luck with yours

Back
Top Bottom