Old computer shop in Manchester

Associate
I too think it was called Morgans, but also changed its name to something beginning with an `A` at some point.
I bought my first cd burner from this shop. pioneer 2 speed burner iirc. well over 300 quid and a big box of 100 blank CDs.
transported it home on the bus.

It still worked last time i tried it, must be 20+ years old.
Its sat in an un used XP box with 3 more cd/dvd burners.

Soldato
Soldato
global corporations are a good thing apparently..... so good they crushed all the competition, then get eaten by amazon and now most cities have nowhere to buy computer/gaming stuff.

I honestly thought the death of the high street would never happen in my life time but there's literally almost no reason to go to the city centre here anymore unless your buying clothes..

no dixons/curries/pc world, seems the GAME store is long gone...

even if you go looking for cookware there's pretty much the tiniest selection of pans/pots in each store... like literally 1 of each thing even in the expensive department stores

IKEA will be the last place standing at this rate

There's not much left on my local high street. Loads of coffee shops, pound shops, sports direct type places....and that's about. They should have modernised and worked harder with the local council, but yeah, at this rate there will be literally nothing left. I'm still amazed how currys keeps going. Profit margins must be very slim, and after paying staff and building rates there can't be much left. I'd love to know how much they sell in a week day this time of year.

Associate
I've got a Currys/PCW and a Game within 10 minutes walk...

:confused:

I missed the vast majority of the '90s gaming scene when you paid 25-30 for an Amiga, Atari ST, PC game which came in a big box and you sometimes got:-
a mouse mat
proper manual
poster
t-shirt
Keyboard layout
a sticker
Iron on patch
Now you're lucky if you get a panthlet
GAME in the Manchester arndale used to be good in the PC section until DVD case sized packaging for CD ROMS (When you still got a decent manual and a fiver for two games) but it gradually shrank until it became mostly PC gaming stuff, game cards and twenty CD Rom games.

At least we have STEAM and GOG for DOS based games(But they don't all work)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here we go. It wasn't a list for Microdirect but for Klone Computers (also long gone), another one I had forgotten all about. Anyways, here it is:

t1EdOXV
t1EdOXV
t1EdOXV
https://imgur.com/a/t1EdOXV [/IMG]

I hope that works

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. @Lonewolf The competitor rules have got me in the past as well, no biggy and go away from this thread knowing your contribution is appreciated :) This seemed to be the perfect place to talk about dead competitors and I was right :)

Back
Top Bottom