Old IDE drive broken.

Soldato
Hi

I've just dug out a old drive with loads of baby pictures of my son that I never got around to backing up else where and it seems to be broken :(

I can only find 1 IDE cable but I've tried the drive on 2 PC's and it doesn't detect in bios.

So what are my options? Will the drive still spin up with just a power cable? Can it be fix and what are the costs for this sort of service?

Thanks for any advice

Soldato
OP
Just phoned a local data recovery form and they are saying it's more than likely a broken PCB. They are saying to recover the data it would be £350+vat. If I want them to just have a look at it and see if it's possible to fix it's £20+vat.

Would buying the same drive then swapping the PCB work? Seems a simple job but I'm not sure if there's any info for the drive that's needed on any of the chips?

Soldato
OP
Not sure on the exact detail of the drive bit it's a 160gb Hitachi. They go for £20-30 on the bay for some reason.

If it works I'll be well happy. If it doesn't the wife is saying that the pictures are priceless. So I'll have to pay up :(

Back
Top Bottom