• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OLED negating the need for high refresh rate monitors?

Soldato
The truth is that OLED's have 0.1ms pixel response time and LCD can't touch that - the absolute best of the best LCD gaming monitors come in at 2-3ms and the average gaming monitor is more like 6-10ms.

Because of that, the OLED will always produce a cleaner image with greater clarity which makes it easier to spot targets in a competitive fast paced game.

OLED TVs do have more input lag though but its still very low (as low as 4ms at 120hz 1440p)

Once we get OLED monitors with all the post processing turned off that TVs use, it's game over for LCD.

At the end of the day LCD can't match this, its simply impossible - which image would you prefer to play your multiplayer game on?

Right hand one - because it doesn't have black dots all over it!

No seriously. Pixel response time has noting to do with input lag. If you are a gamer in FPS, driving or piloting games - you need low input lag.

The way OLED manages it's clarity is, through pixel response time, so no ghosting as you display in your image. But if you are asking which multiplayer FPS, then I'd say the RH image if the input lag or input response time made it 'feel' like I was playing the game.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Associate
I’ve got a LG C9 and a 2080Ti and the improvement was noticeable when I switched from my older Panasonic 4K TV.

GSync certainly deals admirably with those 45FPS lows, and HDMI 2.1 is looking good for VRR too when I get something that supports it.

Wanted a 3090 for 4K/120 but the mental pricing put me off, and that’s coming from a 2080Ti owner for the past 2 years! Now looking at the 6900XT potentially but if I can’t get one of those either I may just sit it out until the next GPU’s and make do with a PS5 instead.

does the 2080ti work with GSYNC on on the C9? i thought it was just the RTX cards. Also if you got 6900 won't you lose out on GSYNC? i only ask because I have similar setup.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
does the 2080ti work with GSYNC on on the C9? i thought it was just the RTX cards. Also if you got 6900 won't you lose out on GSYNC? i only ask because I have similar setup.

The 2080Ti is an RTX card. Yep, GSync works great.

In theory the 6900, or any of the new cards that have HDMI 2.1, should work fine as they incorporate VRR as part of the HDMI specification. Not been able to test it yet but the theory is sound I believe.

Whether or not I’ll be able to find a 6900XT before the scalpers do remains to be seen though!

Associate
ah yes of course it is! can you so 120hz at 1440p? thats what im currently using with my 2070 super. However, i have a spare 2080ti! i didn't use that because i thought there were compatibility issues with the c9!

Seems like a no brainer for me to swap them now!

Associate
Not true, you'd have to be in a room at night with max cranked out lights for it to look dim. Most people have lamps on or dimmer lights in their living rooms. Their rooms aren't drenched in light.

As for sunlight, any tv will look dull in sunlight.

Well this is a complaint that I have seen many people say in forums. Looking for ways for the hdr to be brighter. Tbh I think these tvs are great, but I've seen my friends hdr TV that cost a little less than the oled and it was noticeably brighter in hdr in a normal lit room.
I just wanted to balance my opinion, as much as I think it's the best TV I have ever owned, it is not perfect.

Caporegime
Gamed on my 55C7 for over three years with both PS4 and PC, great experience and I've had zero issues with burn in. I mostly play games with HUD's and static elements on the screen.

Id rather game at 60Hz on my OLED compared to 144Hz on my IPS

3+ years with my e7 and no burn in either and that is also with a lot of games which have intensive/bright huds.

Even with SDR, LCD still just looks so bad. Been playing halo 4 and not exactly the best graphics ever.... but on my 144hz ips, it looks like you're playing a game on a ps 2, where as with it on the oled, it's like a next gen game on the xbox series x in comparison!

Last edited:
Soldato
The only screen I own that has burn in is an IPS TV and my ASUS IPS gaming monitor has some nasty temporary image retention - I've already made a promise to myself to never ever buy an IPS screen again

Associate
I’ve had my first OLED since 2016 and it’s the B6 model. No burn in at all. They dim part of the screen that is displaying bright static object like channels logos etc.
Yesterday I got the BX for my bedroom and OMG what an experienced playing Doom Eternal in 4K HDR 120Hz at over 100fps with gsync. I kid you not this TV has noticeably lower input lag than my 100hz gaming monitor. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom