• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OLED negating the need for high refresh rate monitors?

Soldato
Maybe all the idiots and simpletons earn more money than you because they aren't as 'simpleton' as you think they are.

You can get a 27 inch 4k 144hz panel for way less than £1k, you are cherry picking the most expensive - and you don't need an £800 CPU either. You'll be moaning that you cant afford the top end mountain bike because it's £10k and those that are buying them are spoiling it for you because you cant afford one, no wait, you are entitled to one, but not at that price.

Gaming for simpletons sits firmly in consoles, along with their affordable price. Not that this iteration of consoles are ever going to do 120hz @ 4k and 1440p isn't even supported apparently.

A good review of OLEDS - https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_cx_oled.htm

I think the earning money things is a separate issue.
Being able to or parting money with a lot of cash for a GPU or monitor doesn't make you rich. They are fairly inexpensive purchases in the grand scheme of things.

For example, my 77'' GX at launch cost more than most people's entire setups but I wouldn't call myself rich or look down on people like that.

I think his use of the word simpletons was more specific to - people paying stupid prices for overpriced pieces of technology when for the same money in other forms of tech, you get much better value for money. I think its hard to deny PC gamers are consistently taken for a ride and taken advantage of.

Soldato
oled.png

seems they have more lag than gaming monitors also

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I think its hard to deny PC gamers are consistently taken for a ride and taken advantage of.

Except this is OCUK, where arguments matter! :D

Having now had a 65” C9 for a few months I wonder if I could have got away with the 75” model...

Permabanned
This.

Suspect the problem with non-OLED monitors is how many of them have response times above the maximum for 100% refresh rate compliance.

Ie if you have a 165 Hz monitor your maximum pixel transition time is ~6ms. If many of your pixel transitions take longer than this, then you don't "really" have a 165 Hz experience. This is especially true for VA and some IPS in dark scenes.

If you have 100% pixel transitions under 6ms then you have a true 165 Hz display.

Blurbusters seem to think the end game is 1000 Hz. With today's LCD tech I'm not convinced that anything above 144Hz is really worth the money. You'll pay out the wazzoo for it also :p

But 60Hz will always be awful no matter what display tech you use :p 120-165Hz I think is the sweat spot right now.

I own the first gen IPS 280hz and the pixel transition only is 90% or so. I calculated the real feel to be 202fps. This is partly why LCD is such trash compared to OLED. And i doubt 1000hz is needed in anything but VR. 240hz on an OLED will prove my point eventually.

There will be no blur, No smear, 4ms refresh and lime a 0.01ms input lag? Why would you need more unless the gaps in animations bother you but that requires 1000fps slow motion cameras to point out. 240hz actually has very very minor animation skips. I reckon 360fps would have motion like we see it with the human eye.

Soldato
OP
I think you had the 'right' board originally:D

Try in here

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/lg-48cx-oled-4k-120-hz.18883464/

Problem I have with it is the amount of OLED's for sale on Ebay with burn in and panel issues. Loads of them, even recent models B's C's and CX's. Plus it seems they are still a bit fiddly to get working and you'll need a 3000 series+ to use them at 4k 120hz as only those cards have HDMI 2.1.

Still need to put my PC in the living room and try it on my OLED but not got round to getting an HDMI 2.1 lead yet.

ffs lol, deleted the wrong thread :o:D

Soldato
seems they have more lag than gaming monitors also

Yes I noticed someone further up the thread said
OLED has much better response time so you are going to get better clarity and less blur with motion.

as far as TV's go, OLEDS are fast regarding response time but still aren't as good as dedicated monitors, yet. Difficulty with these OLEDS at the minute is that they have to try and be an outstanding TV and good at gaming. They'll get there I'm sure and we'll all have the colour depth OLED offers one day. Small oleds though such as phones are poor quality so I don't know if there is a limiting size of the OLED's themselves are a factor or they just haven't developed them yet. Probably aimed more at the console market understandably with an affordable system for the masses. A 32/34 inch gaming OLED would be awesome.

Caporegime
Been saying this for the last 3+ years now :D :p

Definitely true in my experience and to my eyes.

Give me a rock solid 60FPS/60hz vsync on oled over FPS fluctuating between 50-120 on a freesync 144hz LCD screen any day of the week. Motion clarity and smoothness is far superior and don't even get me started on the IQ difference.....

Soldato
Just ordered an HDMI 2.1 cable t

Give me a rock solid 60FPS/60hz vsync on oled over FPS fluctuating between 50-120 on a freesync 144hz LCD screen any day of the week. Motion clarity and smoothness is far superior and don't even get me started on the IQ difference.....

If you have framerates fluctuating that wide (50-120) then you have other issues - bottlenecking somewhere or a poorly optimized game. 60hz fine for many games but fast paced - first person, driving or piloting games then then 60hz aint got nothing on 100hz+

Caporegime
Just ordered an HDMI 2.1 cable t

If you have framerates fluctuating that wide (50-120) then you have other issues - bottlenecking somewhere or a poorly optimized game. 60hz fine for many games but fast paced - first person, driving or piloting games then then 60hz aint got nothing on 100hz+

Don't mean constant fluctuations from 50-120fps, just overall in the realm of 50-120fps, LCD only looks good when achieving a constant 100+ fps and even then compared to oled, it still isn't as good to my eyes. That and g/free sync isn't as good as people make out, low fps is still low fps and fluctuating fps is noticeable if you're sensitive to it, why I prefer to have a locked 60 solid fps over fps fluctuations.

And disagree, much rather play anything I can fast motion/FPS etc. on my 60hz oled over my 144hz lcd, only reason I would play FPS on the monitor is when I want to sit properly at a desk for the M+k setup/convenience.

Associate
I maybe noticing this while playing games on my OLED TV using my HTPC, it only has a 1660Ti / Ryzen 3600 so 1080p/60fps is the limit in new games usually, but that said the games still look amazing and I never really notice that it's not 4K.

I'd rather play controller games (racing mostly) and emulators on that than my main system with a 144hz monitor and RTX2080Ti.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Many of us will be aware of OLED's superior picture and other attributes.

The problem is for those of us who want one screen to rule them all :p

OLED + Windows UI (think Excel or Visual Studio open for 8 hours), or a lot of MMO gaming with a static UI..

And the other problem for OLED on the desktop is the size. 48" is just too big for the smallest available size :p Ain't many of us that can fit 48" in...

Caporegime
Many of us will be aware of OLED's superior picture and other attributes.

The problem is for those of us who want one screen to rule them all :p

OLED + Windows UI (think Excel or Visual Studio open for 8 hours), or a lot of MMO gaming with a static UI..

And the other problem for OLED on the desktop is the size. 48" is just too big for the smallest available size :p Ain't many of us that can fit 48" in...

Yup, I dream of the day I can get a 34" 1440P OLED monitor for <£700!

Until then, dual setup will have to do

55e7 mounted on wall for all media and 90% of gaming where I can sit 7 feet back
34" monitor for any desk top usage etc.

Soldato

I'd rather take a 120hz/gsync/oled over 60fps/60hz/vsync oled any day ;)

Soldato
Honestly OLED and high end audio with big rumbling subwoofers destroyed desk gaming for me. Unless you're a competitive gamer, I just see trying to accomdate the biggest display you can and then just trying to work out seating arrangement to accomdate that as the best possible experience.

I can't believe I used to play games with 2 bookshelf speakers or a pair of headphones connected by a wire to a DAC/AMP.

Playing Witcher 3 on my current setup compared to my CRG9 + headphones or speakers... ITs just different in every way imaginable.

The contrast, the size of the image, the soundstage is massive, the rumble, the tactility... its all there. From the comfort of a sofa and the ability to play with mouse, keyboard or controller.

Associate
If you can wall mount the LG CX 48" to get 90-100cm away and have a HDMI 2.1 output there is no better display for gaming.

If your GPU can maintain the frame rate then free/G sync off and BFI on (Black Frame Insertion) is phenomenal, the finest gaming experience I've ever seen. And as an added bonus BFI will likely reduce burn in as its turning the pixels off for most of the time.

Soldato
Linus Tech tips and The Good Old Gamer have videos up which make for interesting viewing

OLED + Ryzen 3100/b450mobo/3600cpu + 2070/5700 gpu = smoother more clarity gaming experience than a mad expensive high end rig (3080/6800) + 360Hz monitor?

Anyone got an OLED they game on, that can confirm this? This could be a huge shift away from the mindset of needing a crazy high end refresh rate monitor setup and expensive GPU?

GOOD OLD GAMER
https://youtu.be/FGmY5vvhtAA

LINUS TECH
https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw

The price of OLEDs though :o

The truth is that OLED's have 0.1ms pixel response time and LCD can't touch that - the absolute best of the best LCD gaming monitors come in at 2-3ms and the average gaming monitor is more like 6-10ms.

Because of that, the OLED will always produce a cleaner image with greater clarity which makes it easier to spot targets in a competitive fast paced game.

OLED TVs do have more input lag though but its still very low (as low as 4ms at 120hz 1440p)

Once we get OLED monitors with all the post processing turned off that TVs use, it's game over for LCD.

At the end of the day LCD can't match this, its simply impossible - which image would you prefer to play your multiplayer game on?

instagram download foto

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom