Soldato
The team was announced today for the road race:

David Millar
Chris Froome*
Bradley Wiggins*
Ian Stannard
Mark Cavendish

*TT entries

Interestingly, Millar is not entered in the Time Trial. the 2 riders for that are froome + wiggins.
I hope this is to do with form (millar has not been time trialling as well as usual this year) rather than any politics surrounding his ban. IMO Millar has served his time and is now a great promoter of drug free sport, and it's fair that he gets to ride in the olympics.

Soldato
OP
I think Millar was involved in that big crash on saturday? So i'm not sure that he'll be on top form anyway today. Still seems to have put in a decent time though.

I saw an article the other day about a loophole that Germany + France have found to get around the limit of the number of riders entered in their track team. As i understand it, they submit a team of 8 track riders then select riders from those 8 for each event. But they are also allowed to use riders from other disciplines to ride track events, so the massive german track sprinter Robert Forstemann is entered as a MTBer and the French track rider Bourgain is entered for the road race. :p
It doesnt mean that they get more riders into each individual event, just that they have a larger pool of riders to select from.
(Link)

Soldato
Yeah he was but he said he felt fine this morning.

"I was hoping to go a lot better than I did," Millar said. "I felt terrible out there. I felt good when I woke up so I'm disappointed with what I did because I had nothing out there. That doesn't happen very often - it's not nice when you feel good but you go bad."

Soldato
Yeah I am, though I haven't made my mind up where to actually watch it from yet.
Last year during the test event, I watched it from the start of The Mall just outside Buckingham Palace, though most of the road is restricted access for ticket holders.

In the morning when the race started it was totally dead with only really a handful of people watching them set off, so you could stand where ever you wanted. By the afternoon it had got very busy, but I think that was also because of the fact it was a gorgeous day and its a major tourist hot spot.

I'd found a place which I thought I was going to get great photos from, so had to get into position there about an hour-something before they made their return, as people were now starting to take up positions to get a view. When they finally did come back it was really busy and while I thought I had a good spot, I'd not taken into account the fact that everybody was just going to raise their cameras above their heads! So I think if I went back to that same spot, I'd probably need to take a step ladder, not sure I can be arsed with that and I bet it won't go down well with security concerns.

The other issue last time was that once they set off, you had hours of hanging about with no way of being able to find out what was happening, as they weren't broadcasting the coverage. I suppose at least this time I might be able to follow it using my phone, if not, 5 Live might be broadcasting it on the radio. I would guess finding some kind of a pub that is showing it along the route would be quite good for that.

I figured Richmond Park might also be a good spot as you get a much longer view of them there and it won't be quite as busy. To get there though I'd likely need to use my bike and I've not heard yet as to whether they will restrict people from using bikes on the route before they start (I'd imagine being the Olympics they might do). I wouldn't want to chain my bike up somewhere in The Mall because there are just too many people, they get crushed!

Here's a few of the shots I took from The Mall:

The Peleton Sets Off by Taiga Studio, on Flickr

The Sprinters begin their attacks by Taiga Studio, on Flickr

Mark Cavendish Sprints for the Finish by Taiga Studio, on Flickr

The other thing that sways me to The Mall is that it is the end of the race and the noise and excitement as they came back and started the sprint was amazing.

The other benefit was that during the wait for them to return, I figured out you could walk along the St. James Park side and stick your camera over the fence of the ticketed area to see the Podium. Which is how I got the shot below. I'm not sure whether that is going to work this time though, because I'd imagine they will have lots of grandstand seating, a proper podium and might not let people get as close to the barriers.

Mark Cavendish by Taiga Studio, on Flickr

I think perhaps I might have to go down on Friday to see the preparations, as that will give an idea of where you can and can't go. It was busy last time, but given its the Olympics and the tourists, I reckon it will be insane.

Soldato
Yeah, it's only the climb (Dormouse Drive to Donkey Green) that's ticketed, the rest of the loop is the same as everywhere else.

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/event/men-road-race/coursemap/

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/71/55/VENUEBXHCycleRoadRaceNeutral.pdf

Going to get off at Dorking or Betchworth stations and just find somewhere else on the loop. The feed zone is just within the ticketed area (as they leave) so hopefully standing somewhere after that and you'll get a few bottles thrown out :D.

Soldato
Yeah, it's only the climb (Dormouse Drive to Donkey Green) that's ticketed, the rest of the loop is the same as everywhere else.

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/event/men-road-race/coursemap/

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/71/55/VENUEBXHCycleRoadRaceNeutral.pdf

Going to get off at Dorking or Betchworth stations and just find somewhere else on the loop. The feed zone is just within the ticketed area (as they leave) so hopefully standing somewhere after that and you'll get a few bottles thrown out :D.

Well the official route map confirms my thoughts about the podium, as they've extended the security cordon into St. James Park, so there is no way you can see it this time without a ticket.

I've got to admit I've never been to Box Hill, so I'm not very familiar with it. I was of the impression though that the whole of Box Hill was restricted because of National Trust owning the land and wanting to limit the number of people damaging it. If you look at the first map you posted up, and zoom into the Box Hill area you can see a security ticket holder only cordon around it, in much the same way as The Mall has on the map.

I assume you mean standing further along Box Hill Road which is outside of that area and so technically isn't really Box Hill right?

Soldato
Just read a little more on it.

Over on Bike Radar people are saying they are taking the road closures very seriously so it may be difficult to cycle on them.

There is an event called the Box Hill Festival of Cycling take place on the Loop, its ticketed, but a free event. They offer secure bike parking which is the main benefit.

I've applied for a ticket, only downside is that it closes in 8 minutes! http://www.ebdons.com/box-hill-festival-of-cycling/

Soldato
Yeah pretty much. Box Hill is the summit so even they don't technically get onto Box Hill, but I know what you mean :p

This is the loop on Google Maps: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sadd...dMzn7_w&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=14&via=1,2&z=14. So yeah, probably aiming to stand near where it says Oak Wood or wherever we can find a space from there eastwards.

Was going to go to the bike festival thing but didn't realise it'd be ticketed. Nevermind, probably be absolutely rammed anyway so will just head back into London to get ****** somewhere :D.

Soldato
Team GB

Image%202012.07.25%2009:26:17.png

Supposed to be cycling up Friday from Bristol but still in two minds with Exmouth Exodus the following week.

Soldato
^ I'd spotted that yesterday on Twitter that they were likely to be riding some of the route, couldn't work out where they were though.

Back
Top Bottom