Olympic Swimming

Soldato
I think the main problem is that many athletes are here to make up the numbers. They feel that they have delivered, just because they have made the Olympic team. IMO, the coaches are not placing high enough expectations on the swimmers. They should tell them to aim for medals.

You can bet that in China, the coaches mentally brain wash their athletes into believing that they are World beaters and that anything less than a medal is failure.
So are you actually advocating that we emotionally burden and over-pressurise a group of already incredibly committed human beings, just so that we can celebrate on our sofas a bit more at home?

Not only is that rather insulting to the amount of work these people already put in, it's really quite vile.

What about the people that simply don't ever make it to the top spot, no matter how hard they try? You're saying they can't ever be happy with what they've achieved, because they weren't the best on the one occasion it mattered to you? I hope you're the best in your field of work, or it would be a real shame if the entire population of this country came and told you how your entire life was worthless otherwise.

Unfortunately, the British love to support and adorn losers. And this has been a problem for decades, if not centuries.
Since I'm not allowed to swear: Nonsense. Unless I missed something, this country has been thoroughly loving being third in the overall medal table, and all the gold winners are being massively celebrated. Ennis, Farah, and Wiggins (to name just three) are national heroes now.

Back
Top Bottom