Olympic Track Cycling

Soldato
The track cycling is due to start later this week.

BBC have just announced they have brought in a new presenter to help with commentary:

Mark_Cavendish_to_join_BBC_presenting_team_for_Olympic_track_cycling_coverage.jpg

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012...nting-team-for-olympic-track-cycling-coverage

Soldato
Great, i hope it's him and Boardman or somebody else who knows what they are talking about.

Anyway, here is the track cycling schedule:

Thursday 2nd - Men's Team Sprint
Thursday 2nd - Women's Team Sprint
Friday 3rd - Men's Team Pursuit
Friday 3rd - Women's Keirin
Saturday 4th - Women's Team Pursuit
Sunday 5th - Men's Omnium
Monday 6th - Men's Sprint Final
Tuesday 7th - Men's Keirin
Tuesday 7th - Women's Sprint
Tuesday 7th - Women's Omnium

*qualifying events not listed

Soldato
Are you thinking of the Madison?

Keirin is a group sprint with 8 guys brought up to speed by the derny, then a couple of fast laps with a sprint.

Madison is a longer race (about an hour) with teams of 2. They take turns to be 'in' the race and give a hand-sling to swap riders. Each team tries to gain a lap on the others or build up points in intermediate sprints.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No I thought it was the one with the moped :p

I thought I watched a track event a few years back where they said the keirin wasn't in the Olympics any more. Must have imagined it.

Lol the Madison, that can get confusing as hell. Id imagine its almost impossible to follow trackside as a spectator.

Soldato
A combined score from lots of individual events.
time trial, flying lap, points race, scratch race, and a few others that i cant remember now.

Should be a good inclusion for us, i think Geraint Thomas does well in the omnium?

edit: checked the events included: Flying lap, points race, elimination, individual pursuit, scratch race, time trial

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah just wiki'ed it, looks good.

I like points races, especially when you see someone try and gain a lap on their own.

Looking forward to this now.

Associate
A little birdy just told me that Vic Pendleton has equalled the 200m WR in training and the men have "smashed" the team pursuit WR :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom