Omega or Breitling?

Permabanned
I am in the market for a new 'decent' watch. After discounting various marques and styles I have come to a decision crossroads....on the one hand is the Omega Seamaster Chrono or the Breitling Navitimer.

Now I am in a quandary as to whether the Breitling is actually worth the increased outlay (it is almost twice the cost) and would the Omega actually be a more robust watch? I want to wear the watch, not simply put it on the sideboard.

I am not really that knowledgable about quality watches have really only had my old Navy issue and my current Citizen Seahawk. I do have a Seiko titanium as well, but it is a bit small for my wrist and in any case none of those are in the same ballpark as what I am considering.

What would the forum choose given the choice and why?

Soldato
Omega Seamaster is my vote.

Reason is it's what I'd buy myself. I've currently got a Seiko Sportura, and when I graduate I'm going to get myself either a Omega Seamaster or an Omega Speedmaster... hopefully by then I'll have decided which as currently I keep changing my mind between the two!

Soldato
Get a Casio Calculator. You know you wanna. By the way, what was the Navy issue piece? A Cabot or something?

Man of Honour
Look no further than Seamaster Planet Ocean. I wear one because it looks superb, has a great movement and is built to last for life. It can be worn daily and withstands everything it get puts through. It is a watch to be worn not just taken out for special occasions.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
That's what I want, a watch that I can wear, I have heard that the Navitimers are a bit temperamental and prone to damage.

I also want to give to my boy when that time comes which is why I am looking at quality watches rather than simply practical ones. (I want both if possible)

Permabanned
OP
Get a Casio Calculator. You know you wanna. By the way, what was the Navy issue piece? A Cabot or something?

I don't know what a Cabot is, CWC or Citizen was the manufacturer iirc. I still have it in my kit box in the garage, but it is a bit beat up.

Edit: appears a CWC is a Cabot....duh! I went through about 5 issue watches in the field.

Last edited:
Soldato
omega, it's what james bond wears

or a simple casio digital, it's what abramovich and bill gates wear.

make of that what you will.

Associate
My planet ocean is coming up a year old and brings a smile to my face every day. The co axial movement gives you longer between services - I was advised to service it every 7-10 years.

Saying all that I can't comment on the breitling - may be even better but I've not owned one :)

Permabanned
candywatch00916zoom.jpg

Permabanned
OP
Which is better and besides the obvious, what is the difference between the 300M Chronometer and the 300M Chronograph?

The Chronograph strangely is cheaper, I would have thought it would be more expensive having more features?

Man of Honour
Omega are trendy posh watches at the moment, they are talked up very well at the moment, 10 years ago Breitling were the same.

Back
Top Bottom