Omega or Breitling?

Permabanned
I am in the market for a new 'decent' watch. After discounting various marques and styles I have come to a decision crossroads....on the one hand is the Omega Seamaster Chrono or the Breitling Navitimer.

Now I am in a quandary as to whether the Breitling is actually worth the increased outlay (it is almost twice the cost) and would the Omega actually be a more robust watch? I want to wear the watch, not simply put it on the sideboard.

I am not really that knowledgable about quality watches have really only had my old Navy issue and my current Citizen Seahawk. I do have a Seiko titanium as well, but it is a bit small for my wrist and in any case none of those are in the same ballpark as what I am considering.

What would the forum choose given the choice and why?

Permabanned
OP
That's what I want, a watch that I can wear, I have heard that the Navitimers are a bit temperamental and prone to damage.

I also want to give to my boy when that time comes which is why I am looking at quality watches rather than simply practical ones. (I want both if possible)

Permabanned
OP
Get a Casio Calculator. You know you wanna. By the way, what was the Navy issue piece? A Cabot or something?

I don't know what a Cabot is, CWC or Citizen was the manufacturer iirc. I still have it in my kit box in the garage, but it is a bit beat up.

Edit: appears a CWC is a Cabot....duh! I went through about 5 issue watches in the field.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Which is better and besides the obvious, what is the difference between the 300M Chronometer and the 300M Chronograph?

The Chronograph strangely is cheaper, I would have thought it would be more expensive having more features?

Permabanned
OP
depends on which version of the Navitimer as they have different movements more info!

A Breitling Navitimer A23322 Black Dial v The Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 21330424001001 Automatic Black Dial v Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer Black Dial 212.30.41.20.01 or the James Bond Anniversary one.

Permabanned
OP
I have been reading up and the latest incarnation of the 300M has something called a silicon balance spring which other than giving the watch a 4 year guarantee as opposed to a 3 year for the previous model I have no idea what it is?

Also the latest model has a plain face not the waves...which seems a shame.

Permabanned
OP
I can still buy the old, they still have stock. Probably get a good discount too.

I was talking to two Authorised Dealers earlier today and neither were willing to budge on price for the older model. They simply said the choice was mine and they do not need to discount as the former is in demand.

Permabanned
OP
Dang. I can see that though. I can't decide which I prefer. But I won't be buying one soon, so it's moot!

They both offered me big discounts on TAG Heuer and Longines though and one offered me 10% on the Navitimer. Omega, not a chance.

I'm settled on an Onega now anyway, I don't really like the Planet-Ocean, at least not the ones I've seen, so it's a choice between the 300m Chronograph or Chronometer and the latter which face design.....

Permabanned
OP
Nothing is a waste of money if you get enjoyment out of owning it. One person might spend £3k on a nice watch, another might spend that same money on a gaming PC, or dossing about on a foreign beach for a fortnight....each to their own.

Permabanned
OP
Give me the money - I'll send you my neon orange indestructible Casio that has plenty of sentimental value and you will be content knowing how much joy that money has given me.

Honestly, I think it would take about £100 to part with this Casio, I'm extremely fond of it due to it being there in times of need!

Unfortunately I already have my own indestructible very cheap watch, several in fact.

Permabanned
OP
The decison is made.

I am going with the Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer 212.30.41.20.01.003

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/300-m-diver-chronometer/21230412001003

It is the nicest looking of the Seamasters in my opinion although I did prefer the wavy face model I thought it better to buy the improved movement and better warranty. There is also the argument that the classic appearance is more desirable long term.

It was a bit of a nightmare finding an AD however as it appears Omega are attempting to make their brand more exclusive and are reducing the numbers of Authorised Dealers in the UK.

Thanks for the advice chaps. :)

Permabanned
OP
Picked it up today, excuse my bad photos...its a bit dark in here.

Very happy with the watch and it feels great to wear.

_G202657.jpg

_G202654.jpg

_G202637.jpg

Back
Top Bottom