On the fence over a Rift...

Soldato
Yes because you are. You cannot judge a game or VR headset by forums alone. The metrics of forums are typically very different and often opposite to the metrics of the total population of the subject or VR headset being talked about. That applies to all forums not just this one. A few loud people on a forum do not make you the majority like you seem to think it does. Likewise my advice to try before buying and then buying a better headset then a Rift is not silly just because you say it is. In actual fact my advice is the sensible way to do it.

For example it’s possible to have 7 active people talking about a headset or game, 50+ people who have walked away and moved on to something else as it was a subpar experience. But as those 50 are not posting the 7 appear to be majority when really they are the minority. To get a fair accurate judgement have to look far wider than just the forums and/or a tiny subset of friends.

Or to break this down for you in another way. If I go onto a horse forum the majority of posters who have ridden horses like it. But that doesn’t automatically mean the majority of people who have ridden horses like horses. The same applies to VR.

To quote one of the big VR devs. “A lot of people bought headsets just to try it out. How many of those people are active? We found that in terms of our data, a lot of users weren't." hence why I said you are in the minority when you look at the wider audience.

No that’s Melmac and the others who are doing that. What I am doing is looking at the wide audience and metrics and speaking to VR devs. From what I can see the minority of people stay active and keep enjoying VR. The majority are unimpressed and end up going inactive. The large amount of inactive users is the stated reason some of the big VR devs shut down.

As for what I said about resolution it’s true for the Rift. While it was great when it first came out in today’s world it offers a subpar experience and suffers from relatively speaking poor immersion because of that. With the Rift it’s like being half blind you have to stand point blank next to things to read text or dials unless they are mega enlarged. With the newer headsets you can stand double or triple the distance away and still read the text and dials. This gives the newer headsets a much more natural and better immersion experience. Hence why I say skip the Rift and go for a better headset.

No, you are attempting to make out you know something you don't. If you did you'd have quantifiable proof instead your personal beliefs and of talking down to people.

Gimpy, nope, not suitable for a ten year old at all, good choice on the HOTAS instead :)

Soldato
No, you are attempting to make out you know something you don't. If you did you'd have quantifiable proof instead your personal beliefs and of talking down to people.

Gimpy, nope, not suitable for a ten year old at all, good choice on the HOTAS instead :)
I quoted a dev from a big VR studio who said the same thing as me. Devs who have full access to the Meta data of VR use, which you somehow turned into only my personal beliefs!!! You speak as much rubbish as Uncle Petey and melmac. The thing is I backed up my stance with a lot more evidence then you lot provided. Where is your quantifiable proof as all you have posted so far is your own personal belief while attacking me for giving out sensible advice.

EDIT: As if the devs evidence isn't enough the steam survey shows the same thing as what I said.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
good choice on the HOTAS instead :)

Picked up this set...

Ns0yFLK.jpg

Stick should last a good few years and he does play some Arma so he will get some use in that.

I see Star Citizen is on offer so might pick that up to go with it.

I know this is slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend good "pancake" Joystick games? Not too "sim" like but great fun with throttle and stick?

Thanks.

Soldato
Picked up this set...

Ns0yFLK.jpg

Stick should last a good few years and he does play some Arma so he will get some use in that.

I see Star Citizen is on offer so might pick that up to go with it.

I know this is slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend good "pancake" Joystick games? Not too "sim" like but great fun with throttle and stick?

Thanks.
I've got the same Hotas, eve Valkyrie is good fun I play it in vr though.

Soldato
I quoted a dev from a big VR studio who said the same thing as me. Devs who have full access to the Meta data of VR use, which you somehow turned into only my personal beliefs!!! You speak as much rubbish as Uncle Petey and melmac. The thing is I backed up my stance with a lot more evidence then you lot provided. Where is your quantifiable proof as all you have posted so far is your own personal belief while attacking me for giving out sensible advice.

EDIT: As if the devs evidence isn't enough the steam survey shows the same thing as what I said.

I never said it was anything but my personal belief, you are the one stating it as fact. I could also pretend to have a quote from a dev lol. If the steam data shows your belief to be true then why have you not posted it?

Soldato
I never said it was anything but my personal belief, you are the one stating it as fact. I could also pretend to have a quote from a dev lol. If the steam data shows your belief to be true then why have you not posted it?
It’s not a pretend dev quote if you copy and paste it into google the first and 2nd link go direct to the article of the devs with the quote in it. Likewise the valve data is public for everyone to see, I didn’t see a need to link it because anyone can look at the data and see there are approx. 300k active Rifts per month and that the amount of active people per month is increasing but for now the majority are trying the headsets and going inactive. Just like the devs said. Why does this matter? Because it shows current VR is not for everyone hence why I said there is a VR arena near where the first poster lives and he should try it before buying. But I got called out on being silly saying that.

As for my 2nd point there are also plenty of YouTube videos and comparison websites which demonstrate the low resolution of the Rift compared to newer headsets. The Rift was great when it came out but its starting to lag behind now. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359389601 is a useful app for comparing headsets. From the default starting position most people with the Rift can only pass the eye test down to 20/50 vision (4th line down) while the newer headsets most people pass 20/40 or some at 20/30 much better than the Rift. Hence why I suggested skipping the Rift and going for one of the newer higher resolution headsets. The other headsets have clearer text and reading dials is easier which all improve immersion which in turn gives a better experience.

Soldato
Rift versus Newer headsets basically comes down to
graphics versus tracking + controllers

I'll take better tracking (WMR headsets), controllers (vive/pro), exclusive games (lone echo et al) and ASW that works (SkyrimvR with ENB @45fps locked ASW is great).

The Pimax's trade off is poor software/optimisation and a high price.
The WMR headsets and the Samsung ones just don't have the tracking which the Vive & Rift offer and thats a big issue.
The Vive Pro's price is obscene for what it is.

I still think this point in time, if you're buying a VR headset, its between the Vive and Rift.

If you don't care about tracking quality & room scale, WMR/Odyssey are great. However I'd personally take better tracking and better controllers over the former.

Another point to take into account is if you want your VR experience to be portable. If I buy a gaming laptop, I'll grab an Odyssey ASAP.

Soldato
aoaaron i would agree in most cases but it would be nice to have best of both worlds lol....... rift CV2 hurry up
Yup! I am worried that CV2 might get rid of the sensors. If they do, then I will be tempted to jump to a lighthouse system.

Once Oculus show us where they're going on the PC-side of things, I'll start buying more form their store and become locked into them.

Oculus's software is the best, their exclusives are the best, their software optimisation and ASW are the best, their controllers are the best... but their direction is ... unpredictable.

We know where Vive is going. They'll continually release hardware as they can, let us be the beta tested at an inflated price point. Thats fine, thats not bad, at least I know they are in this game to continually further develop PCVR at the high end.

However with the Quest and the rumoured cancellations of the CV2 which was initially planned, I can't help but be a bit apprehensive about locking myself into the oculus eco system at present which is ashame, as it is brilliant.

Soldato
Been having a go on my cousins headset today.
Been a right good laugh, I even bought him Beat Saber so we could all play it.

Something I will be looking into in the the new year.

Soldato
Been having a go on my cousins headset today.
Been a right good laugh, I even bought him Beat Saber so we could all play it.

Something I will be looking into in the the new year.

Yeah grab one. Great time to get one as its cheaper, there are tonnes of games, the touch controllers are awesome, room scale is sorted etc.

Its just so many levels above pancake gaming, its incredible. I basically only pancake game if i CBA to stand up (which is a lot).

My only issue with VR is you have to be physically up for it. You can't sit there and be absorbed into the medium.. you have to actively be apart of it.

Like basically, I can play an RPG like Witcher 3 and not be fully focussed or alert. I can't do it with say a Dark Souls game, especially a boss battle, which is what VR demands of you.

Soldato
Personally I'm waiting for the Oculus Quest to see how it turns out. The idea of a mobile VR headset with dual motion controllers, 6DOF and room scale that can be used anywhere (without the need to wire it to a PC) sounds amazing.

Soldato
You forgot about the crappy mobile phone level graphics too.

I disagree. Having experienced the oculus go the visuals on offer in that were perfectly adequate. What let it down was the lack of dual motion control and 6DOF.

The oculus quest should address those problems and improve on its performance significantly. I think you'll be impressed when you see what it's capable of. Many of the best VR games at the moment (rec room, beat saber, Superhot, space pirate simulator, etc) are fairly basic visually anyway. It's the VR gameplay that makes them great

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree. Having experienced the oculus go the visuals on offer in that were perfectly adequate. What let it down was the lack of dual motion control and 6DOF. The oculus quest should address those problems.
The gfx on rift/vive are vastly superior to the go (i own all three) the quest might be a bit better but its still way off rift/vive standards. You cant really compare a mobile snapdragon chip against a 1070 or better pc gfx card but thats what it boils down to.

Soldato
It’s not a pretend dev quote if you copy and paste it into google the first and 2nd link go direct to the article of the devs with the quote in it. Likewise the valve data is public for everyone to see, I didn’t see a need to link it because anyone can look at the data and see there are approx. 300k active Rifts per month and that the amount of active people per month is increasing but for now the majority are trying the headsets and going inactive. Just like the devs said. Why does this matter? Because it shows current VR is not for everyone hence why I said there is a VR arena near where the first poster lives and he should try it before buying. But I got called out on being silly saying that.

As for my 2nd point there are also plenty of YouTube videos and comparison websites which demonstrate the low resolution of the Rift compared to newer headsets. The Rift was great when it came out but its starting to lag behind now. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359389601 is a useful app for comparing headsets. From the default starting position most people with the Rift can only pass the eye test down to 20/50 vision (4th line down) while the newer headsets most people pass 20/40 or some at 20/30 much better than the Rift. Hence why I suggested skipping the Rift and going for one of the newer higher resolution headsets. The other headsets have clearer text and reading dials is easier which all improve immersion which in turn gives a better experience.

CCP is not a big VR studio, it never was.

Associate
I'm sitting on the fence as well...It has been only a couple of weeks since I climbed onto it but I am chomping a the bit to give it a go...Prices have fallen as well. I get paid in 3 weeks.

The Oculus Rift seems to tick most of the boxes on the spec front for me.
That climbing sim looks good: http://www.theclimbgame.com/

Very exciting times :)

Back
Top Bottom