On the fence over a Rift...

Soldato
Problem is we still lack real AAA games for VR. Which is a shame because it completely changes the experience of gaming (in a good way).

Asa

Asa

Associate
Rift versus Newer headsets basically comes down to
graphics versus tracking + controllers

I'll take better tracking (WMR headsets), controllers (vive/pro), exclusive games (lone echo et al) and ASW that works (SkyrimvR with ENB @45fps locked ASW is great).

The Pimax's trade off is poor software/optimisation and a high price.
The WMR headsets and the Samsung ones just don't have the tracking which the Vive & Rift offer and thats a big issue.
The Vive Pro's price is obscene for what it is.

I still think this point in time, if you're buying a VR headset, its between the Vive and Rift.

If you don't care about tracking quality & room scale, WMR/Odyssey are great. However I'd personally take better tracking and better controllers over the former.

Another point to take into account is if you want your VR experience to be portable. If I buy a gaming laptop, I'll grab an Odyssey ASAP.
I have a Rift and an Odyssey+. The Odyssey+ blows the Rift out of the water purely by virtue of the screens, and the tracking isn't far off (you need at least a 3 sensor setup to beat it).

However, Revive/Remixed isn't working well at all for me so... Oculus exclusive software is a trump card that is hard to ignore.

I really hope either Revive gets fixed, or Rift CV2 launches in time for Stormlands.

Associate
Look up a game called Climbey. Perhaps not going for the realism of a mountain face, it's a lot of fun and supports co-op and is dirt cheap. If it does have to be a mountain face, the there's the biggest of them all Everest VRhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/384750/EVEREST_VR/

To The Top is an outstanding game if you want to hop, jump and climb around a theme park. That's a lot more fun:)

Hey thanks for info Lokiss! Looks fab for an experience. That Everest looks great.

Is that Oculus Rift CV2 fare away?

Soldato
I have a Rift and an Odyssey+. The Odyssey+ blows the Rift out of the water purely by virtue of the screens, and the tracking isn't far off (you need at least a 3 sensor setup to beat it).

However, Revive/Remixed isn't working well at all for me so... Oculus exclusive software is a trump card that is hard to ignore.

I really hope either Revive gets fixed, or Rift CV2 launches in time for Stormlands.

I'm talking 3 sensor.

I have no doubt the Odyssey+ screen must be quite breathtaking. Also I'm not hating on the tracking, its just I need pinpoint tracking. I don't want to pull a bow pack or punch someone off screen in a game then realise I've lost tracking.

As you touched on, software+exclusives+tracking. Thats where Oculus shines. If we could get Odyssey+ screen tech into a Rift, I would be VERY VERY happy.

When I get a gaming laptop though, I will 100% buy an Oddysey+ for the portability.

Soldato
Problem is we still lack real AAA games for VR. Which is a shame because it completely changes the experience of gaming (in a good way).

Yup. Only Oculus are trying to push this forwards. As good as their efforts are, they lack expertise in game-creation. I'm also a bit surprised they haven't invested a lot more money in a lot more exclusive studios given how much cash they have. We all know that the most powerful console does NOT win a console war. Its the console with the best software. For all intents and purposes, the Vive vs Rift is still a console war... except for the fact Oculus seem to have gone in a different direction with the Quest.

I really like Sony's attempts at VR exclusives but they're using gimped hardware.

Valve have their rumoured 3 games being created, probably due for release in 2022 or something stupid like that.

I think for good of PCVR, Valve releasing a native headset with something big like Half Life 1, 2 and 3 will be huge for the VR-industry and force a lot of people to move to it.

Soldato
That’s most likely going to be a problem for years yet. As the VR market is so small with such a high amount of inactive VR headsets that there isn’t enough of a population to buy enough games for a VR only AAA game to be justified and developed. The other problem is most AAA games don’t translate well over to VR so won’t get VR support.

For a while yet we will have to settle on good indi games and the rare AAA like Elite that does translate over to VR.

Soldato
This game is taking things in the right direction and is how Skyrim VR's melee should have been, instead of lazily using the old canned animations in the background which made it very clumsy.

Still needs polishing on the controls though and the other issue is you need room to swing your arms around.

Back
Top Bottom