On the look for a new job, just one problem...

Associate
How about those gel facepacks that people leave in the fridge overnight and put on when they wake up in the morning to reduce puffiness? Just put it on whenever you go to the gents. Or keep it on and claim you're rehearsing for a stage adaptation of The Mask of Zoro?

.....or you could see a GP...but with my option you could bring a sword to work ☺

Soldato
What have you thought of so far?

How about being a car parts salesman? You just travel to car dealerships and sell them parts.

Landscape gardener?

Work from home, e.g. remote worker for customer support / moderating forums.

Postman.

Airport worker.

Game keeper.

Walking tour guide.

Wildlife conservation officer.

Soldato
I feel your pain OP. Walking in anywhere that's hot, humid, stuffy and/or overly dusty instantly sets of my condition. I only need to be in such place for a couple of minutes and my skin starts to turn itch, come up in blotchy red patches and, if it's a particularly bad day, ooze.

On the plus side though, I do save loads of money on energy bills over the Winter. :D

Associate
Central Heating Engineer - Lots of driving in the sun* to houses that have no heating. And then when you fix it you can leave because its going to cause you health issues. Perfect.

*Disclaimer: We are in Britain. Your milage may vary.

And yes I read the OP and yes I'm having a laugh.

Soldato
OP

Because they're awful drugs.

Benzos = highly addictive and tolerance builds quickly

SSRIs = side effect profile is so high that you're very lucky if you avoid getting something pretty dramatic. Most also have sexual side effects. Oh, then there's the battle of eventually coming off them or staying on them for years until you become numb and void of emotion.

Please don't start a conversation surrounding this.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Because they're awful drugs.

Benzos = highly addictive and tolerance builds quickly

SSRIs = side effect profile is so high that you're very lucky if you avoid getting something pretty dramatic. Most also have sexual side effects. Oh, then there's the battle of eventually coming off them or staying on them for years until you become numb and void of emotion.

Please don't start a conversation surrounding this.

No, I agree it's not right to tangent off on this but I do disagree with your take on SSRIs. I'd wager that a large proportion of people here have used them at one point or another without problem. You'll never know how the side effects affect you until you try. There are plenty of different SSRIs around too. If it's a potential solution to your problem, do you not think it makes more sense to entertain the possibility that these might work for you rather than destroying your life through an inability to work? Also, the difficulty in tapering off SSRIs are usually involved with people who have been on them for a very long time or at very high doses.

I understand your reticence, but I think it's premature to dismiss them out of hand. Perhaps this is something you should consider speaking to your GP about?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I appreciate your concern but I'm afraid it's something I'm just not willing to consider. I'd rather keep the symptoms and deal with them through counselling than take SSRIs (I mean no offence to anyone who has made the decision to take them - they have their place)

Correct, being low and anxious makes my condition worse but I need to learn to accept and manage it if there is no medial diagnosis (which seems to be the case...I have seen dermatologists, immunologists, endocrinologists and had countless appointments with GPs)

Next up is food allergy and hopefully neurology.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So whilst I haven't been given a medical diagnosis, it looks like I have pathological blushing.

http://chronicblushinghelp.com/

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy :( - still have no idea what I want to / can do career wise! Looks like I'm going to have to do something outside in a warm climate though.

Surgery is an option where they cut the nerve which causes blushing but you're pretty much guaranteed to get compensatory sweating as a side effect. BAH!

Soldato
So whilst I haven't been given a medical diagnosis, it looks like I have pathological blushing.

http://chronicblushinghelp.com/

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy :( - still have no idea what I want to / can do career wise! Looks like I'm going to have to do something outside in a warm climate though.

Surgery is an option where they cut the nerve which causes blushing but you're pretty much guaranteed to get compensatory sweating as a side effect. BAH!

Dude that sucks, its not even a manly named condition to at least make it sound better!

If it causes you as much problems as you stated thats horrible.

gardener? removals? any labourer?

i actually suffer from a similar thing though perhaps less so than you. even a small amount of heat makes my cheeks burn right up, and i hate the feeling of it coming on as i know say at family meals that it's only a matter of time until it happens, which makes me anxious and it more likely to happen. i've found the only real solution is to be in cold environments, or when it's hot wear as little as possible so no socks and shoes, shorts and short sleeve thin shirts. alcohol in particular makes it happen too.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I seriously think you should consider trying medication. Beta-blockers are supposed to be good at stopping blushing, for example.

If you don't try, you'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom