On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Soldato
Well ******* done. That cannot have been easy so massive props. Fair play to your wife aswell for presumably supporting you.
Equally great post.

Bertie incredible story, I’ve been stopped now for maybe 8 years. Used to a be a beer and a bottle of red every weekday, then I had a proper drink at the weekend.

Not sure if I had a problem or not but my life is certainly far better without boozing.

Associate
If it makes you feel any better I was drinking out most nights for the past 10 years.....and would easily spend hundreds a night and would routinely take people out spending ungodly amount....

Probably spent half a million haha. :eek:

The problem is not the drink per se it's just that the crowd is just more interesting. It's not to say everyone but just generalised. Anyway I've been cutting down for a while now, already at half of what I usually drink. Had blood test and scan done all showing fine thankfully.

Following on from this I've actually cut back an incredible amount over past nearly 2 months.

The problem I'm finding is just the boredom. People are just less interesting as a whole when everyone is sober. I think it's partly my environment as drinking is extremely common. Hanging around people drinking is better but honestly it's a strange one. I think it's almost a social lubricant that once you are slightly tipsy that people loosen up considerably and it's a social pact that more things are "open".

I know it's a "me" problem as lots of other people are perfectly fine with being 100% stone sober but I'm not sure I can do it right now.

What is positive though is cutting back significantly that I guess is healthy for the body even if it makes me feel significantly more tired (???).

Associate
At the end of the day mate it's your choice and no one can force or make you stop drinking. If you enjoy it and it's not causing you to many issues right now then it's fine.

That being said, if like me who drank until I blacked out, drank from morning until night! Felt like crap all the time and was so anxious mid afternoon I'd have to drink vodka.

Nights out I'd always end up sleeping outside covered in my own blood because I'd fallen over so much. My wife once found me upside down in are own front hedge!

This is when it becomes a problem! This was my rock bottom and I never want to get that low again.

Your wife sounds like a Saint. I hope you cherish her and spoil her! :)

Soldato
Your wife sounds like a Saint. I hope you cherish her and spoil her! :)
Sure do! The thing that keeps me going is one drink and she's gone. She won't go through it again.
Actually the thought of drinking now isn't an issue, I sometimes find myself wanting a beer but it doesn't last long. I've got a million bad memories about drinking and not any good ones.

Soldato
I drink. I did dry January with ease. I am able to selectively drink/not drink when I want. I'm in a comfortable place with it.

Someone close to me however...they are increasingly turning to drink. It seems to be most nights. I think it's early before becoming a problem, but I sort of want to help them nip it in the bud before it gets to being a problem. How does one approach that without them massively taking offence and/or then turning to the booze due to the very fact of bringing it up!?

Back
Top Bottom