Openreach enabled G.INP on FTTC

Soldato
I was wondering why I was seeing my ping at 7ms to bbc.co.uk (have a rainmeter widget to keep track of it, usually was 12ms). I guess G.INP is finally enabled and working on my ECI modem + ECI cabinet?

Soldato
Nice - I'm down to 7ms to bbc.co.uk - best it has ever been IIRC other than when I lived in London and had like 2-3ms.

The main benefit of G.INP seems to be noise resilence (as if standard interleaving was enabled) but without the penalty overhead (low pings like fastpath).

I hope vectoring will be rolled out soon which would boost sync rates to mitigate effects of crosstalk.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was wondering why I was seeing my ping at 7ms to bbc.co.uk (have a rainmeter widget to keep track of it, usually was 12ms). I guess G.INP is finally enabled and working on my ECI modem + ECI cabinet?

What modem do you have? I use a HG612. You could still be on fastpath to have pings that low.

Soldato
It's the ECI modem, I get better speeds with it compared to the HG612 probably due to being on an ECI cabinet. Haven't really unlocked it though.

I've been on BT Infinity for about 3 years though and pings were always consistently around 12ms to bbc, but yesterday I noticed it dropped to 7ms.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the ECI modem, I get better speeds with it compared to the HG612 probably due to being on an ECI cabinet. Haven't really unlocked it though.

I've been on BT Infinity for about 3 years though and pings were always consistently around 12ms to bbc, but yesterday I noticed it dropped to 7ms.

Yes, sounds like you have G.INP but can't be certain unless you can extract some modem stats.

Do you see Bearer 1 when you use your HG612?

Like so:

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 9779 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

G.INP Framing: 18 0
G.INP lookback: 31 0

Soldato
Has been enabled on my cab too, seems to only be active on the downstream though.

ace93a179629acc26408334d77309c4e.png

Soldato
If it's the same issue as last year then the ECI modem still has issues with G.INP via upstream. People with ECI modems but was on a Huawei cabinet was complaining about connection issues on the BT forum when G.INP was enabled. I guess the hardware inside just isn't capable of it. Think it was this reason as well of why ECI cabinets didn't have G.INP enabled until recently.

Soldato
If it's the same issue as last year then the ECI modem still has issues with G.INP via upstream. People with ECI modems but was on a Huawei cabinet was complaining about connection issues on the BT forum when G.INP was enabled. I guess the hardware inside just isn't capable of it. Think it was this reason as well of why ECI cabinets didn't have G.INP enabled until recently.

It's a Huawei cab and i'm using a Huawei HG612 so no reason for it to be disabled. Unless the DLM deemed it not necessary for my line?

Associate
G.INP enabled on my ECI cab which has max Dslam of 74000 receive & 15000 transmit.
Using Fritzbox 7490 G.INP is enabled for receive but not transmit.
Still fast path 8ms to BBC.
Download currently showing an increase from 54.4 to 57.7.
Attainable and current both at 57711

Impulse noise protection at 45.
Zero errors.

One question is the sync now set in stone or because current and attainable are the same does this mean still may be room for improvement?

Stats below

Negotiated Connection Properties
Receive direction Send direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 74000 15000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 57711 10990
Current throughput kbit/s 57711 10909
Seamless rate adaptation off off

Latency fast fast
Impulse noise protection 45 0
G.INP on off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 5 6