Openreach enabled G.INP on FTTC

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I presume that there is no way of telling whether it's been enabled if you have a HH5?
If your download speed has increased, and your pings have increased, it is probably enabled for you.

Associate
If your download speed has increased, and your pings have increased, it is probably enabled for you.

My ping has increased, but my download speed has dropped by 10Mb/s so I'm not sure if it's been enabled or there's something going wrong on my line (my IP address hasn't changed in the past few months, so I'd have to doubt that my issues are due to G.INP being enabled).

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think I've ever been on fastpath with fibre. I'm getting the same pings to the BBC as I did with BE ADSL2+ which was set to fast and speed. These pings are 25-26ms from the north east of Scotland. I can see from the HG612 my interleave shows ON and 16.

I too had issues with the ECI modem where I had been stuck at 67Mb for around 6 weeks. One day my pings doubled so switched to the Huawei modem.

Upon power up, My ping halved and speed increased by 3Mb instantly. Three days later my line increased a further 4Mb so fairly chuffed it resolved so quickly considering I was sitting with the ECI modem for weeks.

I would like to see what sort of ping I got if I were on fastpath though.

Soldato
Does anyone have G.INP enabled on upload?

G.INP is enabled on download only for my Vigor 2860n, but i'm trying to enable this on upload also.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

How do you tell if G.INP has been enabled? I understand that the ECI cabinets are going live as we speak but wondered if there's a tell-tale sign in the modem stats?

Using an unlocked HG612, if it helps :)

Permabanned
How do you tell if G.INP has been enabled? I understand that the ECI cabinets are going live as we speak but wondered if there's a tell-tale sign in the modem stats?

Using an unlocked HG612, if it helps :)

Go to the "How to tell G.INP is operational on your line" bit

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp

or

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-G-INP/td-p/1460086/page/11

Top post and the last post (with the picture) shows under connection up time if G.INP is enabled. You need modem stats installed to do this which takes a couple of mins to setup.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats_setup.htm

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Thanks for the links :)

I had to telnet in (using OS X) but I can see from comparing my stats to those in that first link, that G.INP hasn't been enabled on the ECI cabinet that I'm on.

Soldato
So I've read through this thread but still a bit confused. Are Openreach still fitting both types of modem, should they be fitting hg612 for Huawei and ECI on ECI cabinets?

Am I better off with hg612 on an ECI cabinet, it seems from this thread some people found that to be the case where G.INP had been enabled?

Associate
It looks like they're only supplying ECI modems regardless of what hardware is in the cabinet.

And the issues have only been with those who have ECI modems but the cabinet is Huawei since the modem doesn't get the update, so an ECI modem on an ECI cabinet won't have those issues as the modem will get the update when G.INP is enabled on the cabinet.

Soldato
So apparently the HH5A doesn't support this on the upstream, at least not until BT push a firmware update.

I was one of those who got a ping bump. From 7 to 14ms to bbc. Read on infinity forums that the above is the issue and because of it, it adds around 8ms.

Dug out the hg612, back to 7ms to bbc :).

Shame really, as at least for me, the hh5 generally is fine. Sync rates are about the same, but i want that low ping :).

Caporegime
I lost about 20% off the upstream with G.INP enabled on a 5A - the sync rate stayed where it always had but the maximum rate was a good 4Mbps lower.

Went over to my box of trial 5Bs and swapped it out, problem solved. 10ms to bbc.co.uk over Wi-Fi, and a solid 56/20 sync.

Soldato
I lost about 20% off the upstream with G.INP enabled on a 5A - the sync rate stayed where it always had but the maximum rate was a good 4Mbps lower.

Went over to my box of trial 5Bs and swapped it out, problem solved. 10ms to bbc.co.uk over Wi-Fi, and a solid 56/20 sync.

I never really paid attention to max atainable too much, but come to think of it, the upstream snr did drop. From around 12, to 8.

I hope they sort it on the 5A. Somewhere in the thread on BT forum, someone said there is a tp-link that uses the same chipset and tp-link rolled an update to fully support it, so hopefully BT do it on the 5A.

Think I saw something that said g.inp needs to be in place for vectoring, so if they don't fix it, won't they need to roll new hubs/modems out for everyone.

Soldato
Finally G.INP has been enabled on my line connected to an ECI cabinet.

Less errors but I haven't noticed much difference in sync rates.

~5ms pings to bbc.co.uk

Man of Honour
Nice - I'm down to 7ms to bbc.co.uk - best it has ever been IIRC other than when I lived in London and had like 2-3ms.

Back
Top Bottom