Opinions: 3x27" vs 2x32" vs 1x34"

Associate
My office is being redecorated and I'm using this as an excuse to replace my monitor setup. This currently consists of a 27" central monitor and two 22" monitors either side. Each monitor is old, best one being central one: 1080p, no bells and whistles, approx 5yrs old.

My work is spent mostly reading/comparing documents and writing code based on those documents. This tends to take up a minimum of two screens, with the third being used for overspill and/or admin. I don't play games on this computer, or watch movies. Horizontal desk space isn't too much of an issue. So....

(1x34") Having read a few articles, I've been led to believe one 34" widescreen monitor doesn't quite give you the same amount of productivity you get with multiple screens, even with clever split screen modes enabled. However I can see the attraction of the clean look of just one monitor. If I were to go in this direction, I've been looking at the LG 34UC98 (changed after good point made).

(2x32") I've looked at two 32" monitors, specifically the Samsung S32D850T. I like the idea of the large amount of screen real estate with this setup, particularly the vertical space because it means I can fit more code/text on one screen. A little worried about losing a central monitor in this setup.

(3x27") Final option is to go for 3x27" monitors, e.g. BenQ GL2706PQ. This is obviously closest to my current setup. I like having a central monitor, there is a resolution bump from my current setup.

I'm having trouble deciding, so would really appreciate input, particularly from people who have swapped between different multi-monitor setups. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you go 34" 2560x1080 is too low PPI, you want 3440x1440. Only reason you'd want 34" 1080 is for games, if you don't have a high end GPU.

For desktop 32" 1080 is too low.

Associate
OP
That's a really good point regarding the 34" widescreen monitor, thanks - I've changed the original post accordingly. Do you think 2560x1440 would be enough for each of the monitors in the 2x32" setup? I think this is what the Samsung S32D850T have.

Soldato
For your needs, I'd go 2x32, because I think you'll appreciate the vertical space more than the width, and you have no particular need for symmetry beyond the fact that it looks cool :) Alternatively, consider a 32" in the middle, and a pair of 22" in portrait mode, one at each side. Might work well for document reading!

1440p @ 32" is roughly the same pixel density as 1080p @ 24", which I find very comfortable, especially for getting things done. Windows UI doesn't need scaling at this dpi, and everything's big enough to read comfortably at arm's length. Plenty of panels to choose from at this size and resolution, but there's a bit of a QC issue around many of the cheaper ones. If you can get the office to front the cash, I'd take a punt on a pair of HP Omen 32", since they seem to be the best of the bunch.

Associate
One 40" 4k loads of space and you can divide it up into multiple smaller virtual screens using something like AMD Hydravision or Nividia Nview or displayfusion (some monitors also ship with something similar).
I used to run a 24" 1920*1200 screen with a 20" 1080p monitor beside it in portrait mode. 1080p is just too short to do proper work on IMHO, but portrait is big enough to fit a PDF/manual/reference page and have something else underneath/above like skype or your music app or dockable toolbars/output windows from whatever is on your main screen.

Soldato
(1x34") Having read a few articles, I've been led to believe one 34" widescreen monitor doesn't quite give you the same amount of productivity you get with multiple screens, even with clever split screen modes enabled. However I can see the attraction of the clean look of just one monitor. If I were to go in this direction, I've been looking at the LG 34UC98 (changed after good point made).

(2x32") I've looked at two 32" monitors, specifically the Samsung S32D850T. I like the idea of the large amount of screen real estate with this setup, particularly the vertical space because it means I can fit more code/text on one screen. A little worried about losing a central monitor in this setup.

(3x27") Final option is to go for 3x27" monitors, e.g. BenQ GL2706PQ. This is obviously closest to my current setup. I like having a central monitor, there is a resolution bump from my current setup.

There is a fourth option you know, get a 34" 3440x1440 screen like in option one, then flank it with two 27" 2560x1440 screens like in option three. The sizes/resolutions/DPI all line up (like my 29" 2x23" combo) and if you get the same brand/series the bezels will look alike too.

Associate
OP
For your needs, I'd go 2x32, because I think you'll appreciate the vertical space more than the width, and you have no particular need for symmetry beyond the fact that it looks cool :) Alternatively, consider a 32" in the middle, and a pair of 22" in portrait mode, one at each side. Might work well for document reading!

1440p @ 32" is roughly the same pixel density as 1080p @ 24", which I find very comfortable, especially for getting things done. Windows UI doesn't need scaling at this dpi, and everything's big enough to read comfortably at arm's length. Plenty of panels to choose from at this size and resolution, but there's a bit of a QC issue around many of the cheaper ones. If you can get the office to front the cash, I'd take a punt on a pair of HP Omen 32", since they seem to be the best of the bunch.
I'm currently leaning towards the 2x32" setup I think. Is there a reason you'd pick the HP Omen 32" over the Samsung S32D850T? The specs seems almost identical, as do the prices.

One 40" 4k loads of space and you can divide it up into multiple smaller virtual screens using something like AMD Hydravision or Nividia Nview or displayfusion (some monitors also ship with something similar).
I used to run a 24" 1920*1200 screen with a 20" 1080p monitor beside it in portrait mode. 1080p is just too short to do proper work on IMHO, but portrait is big enough to fit a PDF/manual/reference page and have something else underneath/above like skype or your music app or dockable toolbars/output windows from whatever is on your main screen.
I've heard of people using 4k TVs as monitors, so I'm now frantically Googling! I think I might get more productivity out of 2x32", but this is certainly an interesting option. It would also look very neat (I'm more than a little OCD). Looking into Nvidia Nview also now.

There is a fourth option you know, get a 34" 3440x1440 screen like in option one, then flank it with two 27" 2560x1440 screens like in option three. The sizes/resolutions/DPI all line up (like my 29" 2x23" combo) and if you get the same brand/series the bezels will look alike too.
I'd be a little worried that this made the viewing space too wide, but I'll take a look.

Input much appreciated -- thanks.

Soldato
I've heard of people using 4k TVs as monitors, so I'm now frantically Googling!
The problem with this is, if you want a good experience you're probably going to have to buy a TV that costs as much as an actual large 4K monitor. A budget Matsui is fine for watching films from across the room but for PC usage the image quality/lag becomes evident on cheaper TVs.

Soldato
I'm currently leaning towards the 2x32" setup I think. Is there a reason you'd pick the HP Omen 32" over the Samsung S32D850T? The specs seems almost identical, as do the prices.

Had a frustrating experience trying to buy a good 32" QHD monitor ~18 months ago. All the 60Hz AMVA ones that date back that far are the same panel and share the same issues with brightness banding, leading to a dirty-screen effect that may well be very annoying (e.g. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/comparison-of-32-va-monitors.18628379 | http://i.imgur.com/dmGvNHd.jpg )

The HP is relatively recent, and 75Hz, and is getting generally better user feedback ( https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...a-light-in-the-quality-control-dark.18748010/ ), which makes me suspect it's actually a different panel rather than the same old tat trotted out with a new bezel. It's on my list of things to buy in the near future :)

Associate
OP
I've bitten the bullet and ordered two of the HP Omen 32". Thanks for all the info, particularly eddiew for pointing me towards these monitors rather than the Samsungs.

Soldato
I've bitten the bullet and ordered two of the HP Omen 32". Thanks for all the info, particularly eddiew for pointing me towards these monitors rather than the Samsungs.

Most welcome, let us know how you get on :) An Omen 32 is still on my list, I've just got some other things that need the cash right now :<

Associate
OP
Well, I've now learn't that there is such a thing as too big! The Omen's looked great, and I was very impressed by the picture quality. However, I really missed having a central screen and the viewing angles in the far corners made things a little unclear there. There was also an issue with the location of the VESA mount, which meant that they stuck out quite a bit when wall-mounted. So they've been returned.

Not to be defeated, I've decided to give another option a try: Samsung UE43KS7500. Having read about people's experiences in this thread I thought I'd give it a go. Will be installing it this evening.

Soldato
Sorry you didn't get on with them @w11tho , but I hear you on the central screen issue. I run P-L-P config at home, and that works well for most uses :)

Aside from being oversized, did you find the Omens to at least be of generally good quality? ^^

Associate
OP
Sorry you didn't get on with them @w11tho , but I hear you on the central screen issue. I run P-L-P config at home, and that works well for most uses :)

Aside from being oversized, did you find the Omens to at least be of generally good quality? ^^
The Omens were excellent. Build quality seemed good, really clean look and the picture was great. A minor gripe was the positioning of the VESA mount, being right at the bottom of the panel, but I don't suppose this would bother many people. Would recommend if you're looking for a single 32" monitor.

I've now taken delivery of the Samsung UE43KS7500 and it's absolutely fantastic. The screen is more or less the perfect size for me to have four windows open at once, the slight curve alleviates any issue there might have been with viewing angles and the picture quality is pretty incredible. I'm now utilising the windows 10 snap feature a lot more and it seems to work well. Will be wall-mounting over the weekend.

Soldato
Good to hear you've found something you're happy with :) I've still got the Omen on my personal to-buy list, but it's being superseded by things like boiler services and guttering fixes. Being growed up is overrated... :<

Associate
OP
Here's the finished article, now wall mounted:

127E0089-C0BB-49B2-8830-914B9F886DA1_zpsstd603am.jpg

Back
Top Bottom