Opinions/Suggestions on my First £1,000 PC Build

Associate
Hi everyone, i'm currently building an all rounder (Gaming/Workstation) PC and this is what i came up with the research i've done into finding the best mid-tier all rounder PC build.

*Quick question shall I wait to get the EVGA G2 650w Full Modular once it comes back in stock or go with the BitFenix Formula Series 750w or stay with the BitFenix Formula Series 650w?

This is the Monitor that i am currently using:
It's a DELL FULL HD 24 LCD Gaming Monitor: 1920 x 1080p, 144Hz, 1ms, AMD FreeSync, 2 x USB 3.0 with HDMI/ VGA / DisplayPort.

I am using the OCUK TECH LABS AMD RYZEN MIDI TOWER GAMING PC CONFIGURATOR.

Here is my current build: Any suggestion or changes will be greatly appreciated.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case - Black. Any other suggestion?

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core/Twelve Thread 3.9GHz Processor (MPK)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B30

Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 WindForce OC 6144MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 Single Tower Heatsink with 120mm Fan

M.2 Solid State Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive. Or get an SSD instead of an NVME?.

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*

PSU: BitFenix Formula Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply. Any changes?

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...igurator-fs-1aj-og.html#t=a1ub;c6d9e-f8g0h_l#

Any opinions because this is my first time building a PC for gaming games like rainbow 6 siege, witcher 3 wild hunt, tomb raider, Bf5 etc.. and doing everyday work like programming JAVA, Visual BASIC, Unity 3D, microsoft office apps etc..

Soldato
Better warranty UK and rep support

Sapphire is 7+1 (14 phase design ), but use 1 hi and 1 low MOSFET .

Gigabyte is 6+ 1 (12 phase design) but uses 1 hi and 2 low MOSFET

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £399.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Save you the extra £10 and GPU doesn't need a brace support :)

And at 1080p... You'd want intel.
Have to clock that ryzen to 4.3ghz all cores with ram speed at 3466hz to match intel 9400..

Total: £1,012.52 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Also has WiFi with the board , 750w as Vega can pull 350w from the card along at default

8600k plus Vega 56. Clock CPU to 4.9ghz all cores and should be a perfect pairing to push 144hz monitor without issues

Total: £991.52 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Get 3 free games with Vega​

Last edited:
Soldato
Sapphire is 7+1 (14 phase design ), but use 1 hi and 1 low MOSFET .

Gigabyte is 6+ 1 (12 phase design) but uses 1 hi and 2 low MOSFET

Am no VRM expert and previously had little interest but am finding it more interesting as time goes by. Also feel that if numbers are going to be thrown around in a first-time PC builder thread, seemingly to try and bolster the argument that the Gigabyte is the better or equal choice, that it would be helpful if accompanied by at least some explanation. So I'll do my best and if anyone spots something mistaken, kindly educate me at the same time.

The Sapphire is using Infineon IRF6811 and IRF6894 with "Directfet" (metal on both sides for cooling) and the Gigabyte is using cheaper Alpha & Omega AON6594 and AON6360 with no integrated cooling solution.

OMzOSOZ.png

Sea9Cy6.png

Still, even though the Gigabyte hi and low-side mosfet choices were described as inexpensive by Igor Wallossek on Tom's Hardware, it was also described as acceptable due to use of two low-side.

Have also been reading about hi-side phase switching v hi and low-side switching, and how less ripple is created by sharing the load between more phases (putting less strain on other components and using the low-side mosfets slightly less too), than with less phases and therefore slightly more hi and low-side mosfet switching. So even though the two cheaper v one better low-side mosfets may in theory achieve the same outcome, the Sapphire will presumably do it with less ripple. Indeed, and although this is a subjective thing because not everyone will post in public about hardware issues, so take with a pinch of salt: the internet appears to have a lot more complaints about weird noises coming from the Gigabyte model and replacements issued for this reason than for the Sapphire Nitro+ model.

So it seems the better card in several respects (cooling and noise there is no doubt, more phases and mosfet quality no doubt, dual v single Bios, and less ripple in theory) unless you actually do need a slightly shorter card.

The Gigabyte rep here on the forum does offer good support and is very active, bless him. For Sapphire, OcUK themselves handle RMA. So as long as OcUK are capable of offering equally good support, then all good. As far as warranty length goes, note that both these Vega 64s have rubbish two year warranty anyway for such an expensive product. Only problem is the Asus Strix model with more doesn't get a good rep. If warranty is actually a concern then go with one of the three year (or four, or five year) Nvidia cards.

Soldato
Can see why gigabyte and ASRock got caught out with phases on Boards. 1 Hi Side and 2 Low side. Complete phase should be 2 & 2 mobos . Not sure if same is said for GPU PCB is ideally you'd have 2+2 or all integrated MOSFET

Strix should have been a killer card.. you just have to mod it to do well :/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom