optical output on motherboard.. how do I get sound working?

Soldato
I just noticed my motherboard has an optical output. I connected it to my 5.1 logitech speakers with the optical cable but can't figure out how to get sound working.

Any help?

Motherboard - (P5N32-E SLI PLUS)

Soldato
Go to the sound options in your control panel and make sure that the spdif out is your primary sound device.

And make sure the logitech control pod has optical selected as the source.

Associate
should just be the option in sound control panel/software to switch it to digital out. then set logitech to recieve on the digital input.

sorry just seen gurusan posted earlier :)

Soldato
It's been a long time since I've had a 5.1 setup but I'm pretty sure it will run in 2.1 channel mode until you watch a movie with DTS or Dolby or whatever.

or try playing a game?

Associate
SPDIF only supports 2 uncompressed channels. For 5.1 sound you need to compress them to fit into the same space as 2 uncompressed channels. Tracks on DVDs are already compressed in this way so all the player does is stream them to your receiver.

Associate
SPDIF only supports 2 uncompressed channels. For 5.1 sound you need to compress them to fit into the same space as 2 uncompressed channels. Tracks on DVDs are already compressed in this way so all the player does is stream them to your receiver.

What he said. unless your soundcard maker (realtek) do a DD live type thing, iam not sure if they do, you would be stuck with 2 channels..

Back
Top Bottom