Options for PATA SSD

Soldato
Hey all,
I was toying with the idea of tinkering with my old dell Inspiron 5100 from 2004.

One thing I considered was an SSD, but as it's a PATA I heard that you can get an mSATA to IDE converter card that may fit in the 2.5 inch drive bay...
I can find some from HK for a couple of quid, or a more pricy affair (£22 ish) for a "LINDY mSATA SSD to 2.5 Inch IDE Drive Adapter"

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Don't want to spend a fortune but if the cheapy affair won't work it's no good :p

Anyone got any experience of using this method to SSD an old system?

Soldato
OP
That's what I was wondering - wondered if anyone had experience with that kind of converter.
Pata ssds are (as I understand) not that great and also work out potentially more expensive...

It seems you can get a sata to ide 44pin converter... A bit of butchering on a sata I or II SSD second hand drive and I might be able to get it to fit... For less ££

Soldato
OP
I don't think so - XP. But at the moment the cost of delivery on that item and then the msata drive itself takes the cost above that of a "little tinker" :/

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

You have ZERO chance of Trim working. For starters, XP doesn't even know about it; you are far too many layers removed. Not having TRIM is far from useless though. TRIM is only needed under benchmark conditions, where a drive is being thrashed within an inch of its life (something you will not be doing with your 13 year old laptop). On the other hand, IDE has 167 MBps theoretical maximum bandwidth (assuming your laptop supports UltraDMA 7), so your absolute ideal situation is you get a quarter of the speed of SATA. My advice, throw that laptop in the bin, and put the money you were planning to spend towards a slightly more modern, used one. There are laptops being sold all the time on the MM (I just sold an *extremely* nice one for £350).

Soldato
OP
I have an Inspiron 7559, so not looking for a workable laptop, just a project to play with lubuntu and/or retro games. :)
The current HDD is a 4200rpm 20gig so was looking for a way to overcome this bottleneck

Don
Rather than looking at M2 or SATA adapters, might be worth looking at PATA->Compact Flash adapters (which are dirt cheap), or PATA to SD Card adapters (of which looks like there are some for £12.99 or so), and a reasonable CF or SD Card (e.g. one from a respected brand with a decentish transfer rate). Since it's an old PC 16GB/32GB/64GB should all be usable and available for reasonable price (and can be reused for something else afterwards).

Alternatively you can still get industrial SSDs in 2.5 PATA - have a look for Disk-On-Modules (DOM), but you will likely be looking at £30-40 for a 16GB or so module.

Don
Oh hadn't thought of that.. does that also have trim issues??

Even less chance of TRIM being supported by the adapters, but as already mention TRIM is not supported on XP anyway. Industrial DOM may have their own Garbage collection that negates the need for trim, but equally you probably have no way of knowing.

In 99% of cases however, I would state that the reliance on TRIM was overstated - unless you are regularly filling a drive to capacity with small files, then deleting them all, then going again, you don't need to worry about TRIM.

Soldato
OP
Intriguing... They are pennies on eBay, but has no way to mount inside the laptop 2.5" bay unless you get one in a 2.5" drive type case which is much more expensive (the del l uses a slide out cartridge type design)... Will keep hunting

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That was fun! Got an ide to CF converter for £2 and it works! However the speed does seem limited - apparently the converter acts like an ata33, which seems to mean that the CF card is slower than the mechanical IDE due to this bottleneck. Not sure what (if any) adapters support higher speeds...

Associate
Not sure what you're planning to do with the system but you'll be a lot better off using a lightweight Linux distro/desktop environment than XP. It'll also support TRIM correctly.

Back
Top Bottom