**** Original Starcraft 2 Thread ****

Soldato
Whats inefficient about it?

it locates you into a league based on 5 matches alone, it should really of been more like 50 (ie taking into account your practice matches also - no harm in that), yes it autocorrects eventually but it takes weeks to do that and then you only drop a league position. so even if your rubbish you still only move from plat to gold.

i just think it should have been a lot more then 5 matches that determined your league position that way we wouldnt have so many out of place players and we wouldnt of had the situation where hc plat players lost their 5 matches to go into bronze to get easier achievements.

its good that they have some sort of placement agreed but it feels like it was added at the last minute and not thought through properly at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Although I've lost most of my gold matches, I can see where I am going wrong in them. It would be nice to win more, but as has been said, I'm learning a lot more than I ever would have done in a lower league.

Soldato
OMG sadly I am on my honeymoon and could really do with an hour or 5 on this right now!! lol doing quite well in 4v4. I agree the game balancing is veyr good considering its only been out roughly 6 weeks.

TMP

TMP

Associate
Out of interest, anyone playing the RANDOM team 2v2 league? I usually play a few games to warm before i start 1v1, although 2v2 seems to be expand & tech strat pretty much every game. Just wondering if anyone has some nifty Z tactics for it, except mass muta :p

kar

kar

Associate
Out of interest, anyone playing the RANDOM team 2v2 league? I usually play a few games to warm before i start 1v1, although 2v2 seems to be expand & tech strat pretty much every game. Just wondering if anyone has some nifty Z tactics for it, except mass muta :p

Mass blink stalker :D

Soldato
4 out of the 5 placement matches I played, the people I played had hardly any matches against their names.

I think it might just pick someone from each league and see how you do, but if the person you play against is a noob to that league its not very balanced.

I think I would have preferred to just work my way up, and had fun doing so, not much fun getting owned by all the hardcore players

The placement matches are agaisnt random people, often against other people also doing their placement matches. The way it works is fine.

Well if you lose a lot you'll get demoted.

The complaints about the ladder can be fixed by simply not caring about losing and just playing more.

Have to agree here, people are just frightened to death of losing... understandable though, its frustrating!

it locates you into a league based on 5 matches alone, it should really of been more like 50 (ie taking into account your practice matches also - no harm in that), yes it autocorrects eventually but it takes weeks to do that and then you only drop a league position. so even if your rubbish you still only move from plat to gold.

i just think it should have been a lot more then 5 matches that determined your league position that way we wouldnt have so many out of place players and we wouldnt of had the situation where hc plat players lost their 5 matches to go into bronze to get easier achievements.

its good that they have some sort of placement agreed but it feels like it was added at the last minute and not thought through properly at all.

Your never going to rule out foul play because a user can always d/c to give the game away. don't worry they will soon be out of the league. I tested it in BETA on my sisters account, she won no more than 4 games in each league before she got promoted and ended up in plat (which was highest then)

the number of matches is fine anything more than 10 would be too much imo., if you had 50 it would be extreamly boring. Ive only played about 150 1v1 games since release (not including BETA) so that would mean i'd of only had 100 games or less in an actual league where i can improve? who on earth wants to do that.

The ladder is fine and so is the matchmaking, as scotty said, people need to stop worrying about losing, and actually realise its losing games that improves us. Its difficult to grasp but true.. which is unfortunate for me cos i hate losing :D

It all really depends on how much 1v1 ladder you play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your never going to rule out foul play because a user can always d/c to give the game away. don't worry they will soon be out of the league. I tested it in BETA on my sisters account, she won no more than 4 games in each league before she got promoted and ended up in plat (which was highest then)

the number of matches is fine anything more than 10 would be too much imo., if you had 50 it would be extreamly boring. Ive only played about 150 1v1 games since release (not including BETA) so that would mean i'd of only had 100 games or less in an actual league where i can improve? who on earth wants to do that.

i dont get view on more then 10 is too many? most people play about 5+ matches a day.
and why would it be boring your still playing the same game regardless, it doesnt somehow dramatically change becuase your in a league! its just peoples egos get bigger. (the rank up effect) and they seem to think that just bc your in plat league or gold leag that your going to get better games (which we've already established throughout this thread that many people dont know what their doing and jammed their way into higher leagues)

Theres zero difference between playing more 10/20/30 games to get a placement and being in a league and playing the game...its just that you have a nice shiny medal on your profile...again the ranking up effect so common in games today.

and this is the reason why people get frustrated when they lose ... bc everyone wants to move up the leagues to get a new shiny medal

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont get view on more then 10 is too many? most people play about 5+ matches a day.
and why would it be boring your still playing the same game regardless, it doesnt somehow dramatically change becuase your in a league! its just peoples egos get bigger. (the rank up effect) and they seem to think that just bc your in plat league or gold leag that your going to get better games (which we've already established throughout this thread that many people dont know what their doing and jammed their way into higher leagues)

Theres zero difference between playing more 10/20/30 games to get a placement and being in a league and playing the game...its just that you have a nice shiny medal on your profile...again the ranking up effect so common in games today.

and this is the reason why people get frustrated when they lose ... bc everyone wants to move up the leagues to get a new shiny medal

The more than 10 was for the placements, 5 is fine, 10 would be fine too, but anymore than that for placement matches would be far too much in my opinion. People want to get started in a league and start playing people that match their skill level as best they can.

theres every difference from playing 10/20+ placements than it is to playing in a league. I won all 5 of my palcements, got put in platinum, and continued winning and ended up in diamond, where people could beat me, and i could start getting better. You learn nothing from winning against rubbish players. The ego just gets fulfilled.

The higher up in the rankings you get, the better the standard of game is. thats why there is leagues in the ladder?? your statement doesnt make any sence.
From my view, i hate playing people in a lower league, its not fun for me unless its competetive. If theres no challenge then theres no point. but as i said, thats just my personality, im a competetive person so expect to be playing people the same level or better than me.

The people that get frustrated when they lose because they want their shiney new avatar, do tend to be the ones in the lower leagues. The avatars and achievs. are there for the lower league players to keep them interested. Higher end players, really don't give a damn, at the end of the day its epeen. it means nothing to people that can actually play.

I get frustrated when i lose purely because i don't like losing, but thats a competetive nature. a lot of people have it. you should see Kar rage once hes let my zerglings in his base for the 2nd game running ^^ hehe.
I rage even more when i accidentally run 24 lings into 2 banelings sitting outside my base ^^

Soldato

Placement matches are entirely random. You can get matched with anybody from any skill level. Too many of these and the system wouldn't be able to determine your rank at all. It was 10 in the early stages of the beta which was fine, I don't know why they changed it to 5. But any more than 10 would be too random. It's better to just throw you in a league and adjust you accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom