'OSX crap' says Torvalds

Sic

Sic

Soldato
I've not played with Ubuntu, but how much easier can it be than OSX? Drag the application icon onto the trash bin and drop it in :)

Applications -> Add/Remove -> Choose from repository -> Click install

that's easier than:

Web browser -> download -> zip -> dmg -> drag/drop

though that's easier than:

download source -> terminal to dir -> ./configure -> sudo make install -> bugger, my c compiler isn't up to date -> download and install c compiler -> make install again

Associate
You can't claim it's the most powerful and user friendly os when you can't even upgrade the graphics card for purposes like video rendering and encoding which macs are designed for.

You buy it good enough to do the job its intended for
'fit for purpose' ;)

OSX is a powerful operating system and user friendly, if you don't need to swap out the graphics card, it doesn't lose any power, nor does it become less user friendly.

If your out to buy a family car, something like a Ford Focus, you dont then go out and buy a Porshce just in case you might want a sports car sometime in the future. You don't expect to upgrade your Focus engine cheaply when its no longer fast enough either.

Caporegime
You buy it good enough to do the job its intended for
'fit for purpose' ;)

Yes and then after a while it becomes unfit for purpose as it doesn't support new hardware upgrades.

OSX is a powerful operating system and user friendly, if you don't need to swap out the graphics card, it doesn't lose any power, nor does it become less user friendly.

Just like every other operating system.

If your out to buy a family car, something like a Ford Focus, you dont then go out and buy a Porshce just in case you might want a sports car sometime in the future. You don't expect to upgrade your Focus engine cheaply when its no longer fast enough either.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here....

Soldato
Only gamers need to keep upgrading graphics cards and cpu's to keep up with the latest games? The apple is not designed to be a gamers machine, so it is fit for purpose, you knew it wasn't a gaming machine when you bought it, nothing has changed ;)
!

It's a bit ignorant to think that gamers are the only people that want to upgrade their PCs.

As for Macs not being gaming machines...why do they sell Mac games then?

Associate
Yes and then after a while it becomes unfit for purpose as it doesn't support new hardware upgrades.

Just like every other operating system.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here....
:o

How often does a non gamer need to replace hardware as an upgrade to keep up with the software they use? Or do they mainly do it because they impulse buy a new fancy looking computer, and the guy in PCworld sells them something far more powerfull than they need?

And the most transparent, user friendly, powerful operating system free from hassles such as virus, spyware, trojans, drivers, missing files, updates, installing/de-installing software, etc is still OSX.

Because you can't upgrade Apple mac's, it does not change any of the above, the OS is better than windows for the above reasons....unless your a gamer :p

Caporegime
:o

How often does a non gamer need to replace hardware as an upgrade to keep up with the software they use?

Quite often. The resolutions involved in applications such video rendering and encoding have rapidly increased over the past few years, as have the complexity of the codecs, leading to much more powerful hardware being required to get the job done within time. If games were the only application which required regular upgrades, we would not be seeing new processors like xeons being released every few months.

And the most transparent, user friendly, powerful operating system free from hassles such as virus, spyware, trojans, drivers, missing files, updates, installing/de-installing software, etc is still OSX.

Because you can't upgrade Apple mac's, it does not change any of the above, the OS is better than windows for the above reasons....unless your a gamer :p

If you completley ignore the fact that loads of applications require regular hardware improvements and that sandboxes stop windows getting viruses, and that osx isn't free from the hassles of updates and software installation problems then yes.

Soldato
Meh, Windows is good for what it is. Linux is cool but you need to like to play around. Once Linux is set up its fine.

I've used all three OS's and I settled on OSX because it works for me. Its not perfect and wont work for everyone, but it does for me.

Apple muddy the water a little by controlling the hardware. That's fair game though. Thats how the OS comes and thats the end of it.

Soldato
Anyone who slates other OS off, should shut their stupid gob and start concentrating on improving their OS!

Maybe this guy is being uncomfortable with what Apple has achieved in the last few years.

Soldato

Eh?

You can run Leopard on a six/seven year old Mac if you stuff some RAM in. Find me a P3 that will run Vista properly with the Aero interface!

Mac's just work. Apple has control over the hardware and software therefore can get the best out of each. You can't say that about *nix or Windows. The PowerMac/Mac Pro support hardware upgrades. They are Workstations not games machines so there's no need for the latest and greatest graphics card for video editing. I seriously doubt there's any must have features in Final Cut/Aperture that won't work on a ATI x1900 and need a bleeding edge 8800GTX.

Soldato
I think the headline is misleading and the article on theinquirer is even more misleading.
Linus says that Leopard is better than windows Vista. The only thing he 'slates' is the filesystem.
Linux, in terms of filesystem(s) has so many varients I guess you couldn't really make a direct comparison :confused:

If you compare most OS's there are good and bad points.
There seems to be a sort of fanboyism that goes on and on (a bit like amd vs intel / ati vs nvidia).

I use Linux, WinXP & Mac OSX for various things and each OS has it's bonuses and it's flaws.

I like the OSX frontend & overall simplicity, but can't play all my games on it (or AutoCAD) so use windows and I use linux as it is so versatile & scalable.

Back
Top Bottom