** OSX Yosemite **

Associate
thinking I might go back to Mavericks for a little, until Yosemite has worked out its kinks. How do I do such a thing?

App Store won't let me download it as Yosemite is already installed

Associate
Yosemite booted to a crossed out circle last night, had to use internet recovery to get it back to Mavericks :( Cant access my TimeMachine backups it seems. Not a great result, lesson learnt!

Soldato
thinking I might go back to Mavericks for a little, until Yosemite has worked out its kinks. How do I do such a thing?

App Store won't let me download it as Yosemite is already installed

I recently had to resurrect my recently deceased Early 2011 Macbook Pro, however, the internet recovery points to Lion... which is no longer downloadable through the app store or internet recovery. Thank you Apple for that ******* genius move.

In the end, i acquired a prebuilt Mavericks installer image configured for Apples Retarded own-brew-version-of-UEFI from the internet, loaded that on one flash drive, booted into recovery, restored the image to another flash drive, and happily on reboot it appeared in the boot manger with an alt press to boot and install from. Once again, Apple, thank you for making me jump through those hoops, you ********.

(Can you sense how irritating i found the whole debacle. )

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't believe Lion has been removed, just retired for new purchases. Existing purchases are still downloadable as is internet recovery which is tagged against the serial number rather than an Apple Store account.

It still lists in the App Store for me. I downloaded it and installed it the Mac mini at work a couple of weeks ago.

Soldato
^ All i know is internet recovery refused to pull down a copy of Lion with 'unavailable'.

Even if it did, why the **** lion? A little more code on the internet recovery in the flash memory and let the user choose the up to date OS they actually have.

And even if it did that and it all worked, **** that, I rather like this internet persons pre packed ready to go USB option. It is technically feasible, given that it literally exists. It only isn't an officially endorsed Apple method because they appear to operate in cultish ways.

Soldato
All the following goes without saying, however you can never say it too much.

So needed to do a restore today (my own doing, not OS X's fault), and frankly have been through hell with Time Machine, Migration Assistant and Disk Utility. MA refused to connect to the Mac mini's backup drives but did manage to see them (type in the credentials for the network share, then an error would come up, it's a known problem with "no ETA"), and MA failed repeatedly at varied points while migrating the MBA data to the iMac (last resort). Meanwhile, Disk Utility as always (I mean, virtually every single time) failed to restore any image or drive to any destination, as it always does.

Beta software of course, so I should expect it, however Disk Utility and Time Machine have always been this temperamental. It's all utter **** that shouldn't be relied upon.

TM sounds like a great solution, especially when it comes to restoring old data, however the reality is hugely different. You can't revert to an old backup through a TM restore or through MA, so I'm at the point where I can't see a real world benefit.

If you want a stable solution, separate your data and system (not necessarily partitioning on the actual machine) and use CCC for archiving, images/clones and incremental backups if you aren't already. You can use Migration Assistant with an image (simply mount the image as root), so why not do so? I previously avoided it because of the cost but it really is the ultimate backup solution (of course, unless you need some form of cloud backup).

Unfortunately, CCC is not currently compatible with Yosemite right now :(

Soldato
Is it just me that thinks Yosemite looks awful? The flat look, the strange colours, poor fonts. The whole thing looks like it has been developed for a child's computer.

I think Apple are just trying to see how far they can go - will consumers be willing to purchase anything they are given so long as it's Apple.

Soldato
Anybody else having notification issues I.E. they don't show up - I'll be using my macbook and I'll get for example a new e-mail and the notification will ping up on my iPhone and iPad but not my mac, even when I wake my mac from sleep they don't show on the lock screen.
All of my settings appear normal I can't think what it is - I had a similar issue on 10.9 but it was limited to safari based notifications for things like eBay etc

Associate
Has anyone noticed how awful Adobe Photoshop CC is under Yosemite. Its almost unusable. Keyboard shortcuts don't work, hangs a lot etc etc

I'm sure adobe are charging around getting it fixed. Intrestingly many companies are pre prepared such as Parrells. They have 'yosemited' it and It makes mavericks look rubbish now!

Associate
Is it just me that thinks Yosemite looks awful? The flat look, the strange colours, poor fonts. The whole thing looks like it has been developed for a child's computer.

I think Apple are just trying to see how far they can go - will consumers be willing to purchase anything they are given so long as it's Apple.

Yes I think they're definitely trying to "troll" customers. Not.

Associate
In my opinion Yosemite feels more like OS XI , OSX was looking old with the same design revision on revision. This feels like a well needed overhaul. I certainly started to see little point in upgrading OSX versions as rarely did I get anything vital. I still think the best upgrade for OSX was Snow leopard. After then it seemed just like tinkering 'around the edges'.

Soldato
Hundreds you say. Wow, that's ... not a lot out of a potential million beta testers.

Blah blah vocal minority. The other 99.9% are just fine with it. :p

Really, I'm assuming you have a source for this assertion. Gosh I like Apple hardware but tell me what it's like to drink from the Apple fountain? It appears to be pretty intoxicating stuff. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom