US: Outlander

Soldato
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3006802/

Follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate relationship is ignited that tears Claire's heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Thought this was really good, will be watching again

Soldato
Sounds like it will be either amazing, or utterly dreadful...
1945 to 1743 is a bit unusual, too. There's normally a modern aspect there to give a direct audience cultural relation thing...

Will take a look, I think...

Caporegime
i liked it once they went back in time but until then found it a little boring and ops post has big spoiler thanks... is that the actual synopsis ?

Permabanned
I read most of the books which were excellent. Not seen anything on TV yet. I think it's on US Netflix right?

Nope, it airs on Starz channel in the US. They aired the first episode early online a few days ago but technically it doesn't start airing properly on TV until Saturday when they broadcast the same episode.

Worst part is that if it does end up good the nutters have decided to split it in half, its only airing until late September then they're not showing the rest of the season until the start of 2015 :mad:

Associate
The missus gave me a dead arm when I dared comment while we watched it.... books are (according to her) brilliant and the fanbase is more rabid than a bunch of Beliebers, but on the plus side it has the potential (if the books are anything to go by) fairly filthy, as well as a ripping good yarn.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Didn't appeal to me. I know it's not supposed to - because the novel is cross genre historical romance for women - which is supposed to be nice and round way of saying it's like Wuthering Heights crossed with retro harlequin tearjerker explored in a way that won't fit in neither fantasy nor in the sci-fi frame that most men would understand as time travel story.

Pilot didn't offer much improvement - long wound, badly paced and yet somehow production crew still decided they had to employ voice overs to explain what happens in the story. With full appreciation for gratuitous sex on screen, it was still slow and boring. Couldn't really empathise with neither of the leading actors, but from what I understand characters were meant to be in mid twenties in the book, they certainly come across as 40+ in pilot, which I suppose doesn't take away anything from the story, but I couldn't fight through meh-ness - dreadful 1940ies, dreadful 1740ies, don't care about romances in neither time frame, so clearly - not for me.

Caporegime
I really like it so far, loved the second episode, I find the period really interesting though so I'm biased.

I'll lose interest if it becomes some mills and boon crap for women though :p

Permabanned
I'll lose interest if it becomes some mills and boon crap for women though :p

It does sorta seem it's headed that way unfortunately.

I was surprised to see it have a 9 rating on IMDb, until a noticed how many women there are on its forum going on about which characters they "fell in lust with" from the books lol.

Associate
Thought I'd give this a chance with Ron Moore attached to it but first episode was a little dull. Doubt I'll stick with it if it stays romance focused.

Man of Honour
The first one was really slow and I nearly turned it off but I'm glad I stuck with it.
I thought seeing a bloke that looked like her husband was a bit stupid because I thought everybody she met would be somebody she knows but that didn't happen.

Permabanned
It does a good job of making you want to find out what happens next. I expected to have dropped it soon after my post in August but ended up still watching every week.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Because of the production costs, the initial order of 8 episodes ( as broadcasted in summer) is now extended to 16 episodes total in first season, principal photography on location, as far as I know is already done and reminder of season one is set to return in April 2014. It's also renewed for at least 13 episodes in season 2, with slight possibility of being upgraded from summer show to proper slot in autumn 2015.

Back
Top Bottom