Over 75s now pay for TV license

Caporegime
I love the BBC. Would pay double for the license fee. If you think about radio, bbc news/sport/weather, it's great value in my opinion.

See zero reason why pensioners shouldn't pay for it too.

Agreed, a lot of people here **** off the BBC but it's one of the best institutions that this country still has.

Soldato
And then watch them all walk out the door, good one. The release of salary figures (due to complainers like yourself whining) was the worst thing they ever did, it led to people leaving and then they need to pay others more to keep them.

Good replace them all with sub 100k staff. It's a public service rather than a slush fund for celebrities.

There's probably a ton of over staffing and fat that could be removed at lower levels too.

Soldato
And then watch them all walk out the door, good one. The release of salary figures (due to complainers like yourself whining) was the worst thing they ever did, it led to people leaving and then they need to pay others more to keep them.

They can get other people. The BBC is a star maker, especially because of its high respect from around the world. The problem is its lost confidence in its own ability to create stars. It's eager to join in the commercial rat race competing with other companies.

BBC pay: The 2017-18 list of star salaries in full
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44792074

The highest paid person at the BBC in 2017-18 is Gary Lineker. He was on £1,750,000 to £1,759,999. You're not telling me that another player can't take his spot? Most of the viewers don't remember him playing, and when he did he only made headlines for the England team. Further down the list is Alan Shearer, a more recent footballer and more memorable achievements at both international and club football. He's on £410,000 to £419,999. These 2 people are sometimes on the same show. There were many other good players back in the early days of the premiership which could get some tv time.

I'm a fan of the BBC content. I watch both tv, iplayer and the bbc radio stations too. But it seems the bbc have lost their minds, paying out these big money contracts every year. All they are doing is stopping other people coming through and getting their chance on the BBC. This is down to the BBC mismanagement. It's become an ole boys club at the publics expense.

Soldato
Here, here

It doesn't need 3 presenters for homes under the hammer either.

It's just a bit rich to claim they can't afford a free licence to an elderly minority whilst being happy to pee money up the wall on frivolous waste.

Commissario
Yes :)

I'm all supporting the BBC and make full use of their services. But I think there needs to be some balance between these high salaries they are paying out and then finding out they haven't enough money to produce the programmes they want to make.

I can more and more understand why people stop paying the license fee.
The thing is, most of the "high salaries" are lower than the commercial sector (often a fraction) and when you see them reported in the papers it's often taking things like the entire value of a contract to provide a completed program and calling it the salary of an individual because the individual owns the production company - in some cases the cost per hour of program was actually well under the BBC's standard published rate for content
They will have to plug the EU funding hole left by Brexit, still at least they might go back to being unbiased.
What EU fuinding hole?

Oh you mean the couple of million pounds the BBC got back for it's contribution to shared testing of standards? an amount that was probably less than the BBC would have had to spend anyway to test for the UK only standards...(testing of broadcasting equipment and standards being one of the things the BBC has done for well over 50 years, only these days because the standards are shared the costs get shared as well so a broadcaster that does testing for a standard that will be applied across the EU gets some of those costs back).

Associate
I love people pretending they don't watch TV....
I didn't watch tv for the last 10 years. Even with a child, Amazon prime has all her favourite shows commercial free.
I don't watch new, I don't watch sports.

I hate watching tv at my parents because when I want to watch something late at night, nothing is on.

Soldato
License payers are steadily declining so the good old Beeb is going to bolster the figures by robbing the over-75s.

It really is a sanctimonious double crossing organisation. Much of what they make now is so preoccupied in being politically correct and promoting whatever minority of the day the content is truly abysmal.

Soldato
I love people pretending they don't watch TV....

It's been at least 13 years since i watched live TV. It's online for me now, heck a lot of nights have been spent just browsing YouTube

This policy is going to backfire spectacularly, they're only doing it because they're hemorrhaging license payers and no government like it when they target their voter base.

Soldato
Genuinely LOL at comparing Shearer to Lineker. Shearer is dull dull dull (but a fantastic striker). And any football fan worth his/her salt knows who Lineker is and what he did in football. Italia 90 is still fondly remembered more so than any other football tournament.

What does Lineker even do? 1 show per week during the football season? It’s a colossal waste of money.

Soldato
absolute money grabbing scum
when you're 75 you've paid your dues surely

This is at best a naive statement.

What about all the future programming the BBC will make and over 75s watch? Should Netflix and Prime also be free for over 75s?

One of the many sad facts in the UK is that pensioner outcomes have consistently been prioritised above other demographics for far, far too long, and now there's an inequality established. Far from paying less for things such as the TV licence, there's a very good argument for pensioners to contribute closer to their fair share. Paying a level of National Insurance for their enormous and spiralling health care costs would be a beginning.

Associate
I remember when people in Cyprus complained about CBC (Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation). It used to produce content dissimilar to commercial channels, i.e. tour the country's regions and explore culture, food, archaeology, nature and other subjects mainstream people would not normally watch. As a consequence people working in those sectors were encouraged to produce good content which would otherwise not be produced, and ensured good talent/r&d came out of it. Then people complained that it's biased, we pay too much for licence fee etc. etc. So the licence fee moved to the electricity bills but was slightly reduced, so now everybody pays it and can't avoid it. On top of that, there's now ads on the TV channels due to the fee being reduced slightly. As a consequence a lot of the content is no longer produced, and because it can be influenced by commercial corporations, it is more open to being biased.

As someone who knows a lot of non-UK people, the BBC is respected worldwide, and is one of the best (if not the best) channel out there. They need to compete in terms of salaries, to attract some of the talent, so do not mind the high salaries. Otherwise viewing figures would drop and their money/viewing hours would probably be higher.

Soldato
This is at best a naive statement.

What about all the future programming the BBC will make and over 75s watch? Should Netflix and Prime also be free for over 75s?

One of the many sad facts in the UK is that pensioner outcomes have consistently been prioritised above other demographics for far, far too long, and now there's an inequality established. Far from paying less for things such as the TV licence, there's a very good argument for pensioners to contribute closer to their fair share. Paying a level of National Insurance for their enormous and spiralling health care costs would be a beginning.

Lol, my neighbour can barely afford to have the heating on in winter and you think they should pay more for things.
He sits there much of the time watching TV with a coat on and heating on in only the living room.
Only time he goes out is to the shops using his bus pass.
Regards NHS costs, I think it would be fairer to increase the amount people pay that sells inflict problems such as smokers and over eaters. They can obviously afford it.
Where as someone that can barely afford heating can hardly afford a TV licence.
You must live in a dream land.

Back
Top Bottom