Overclock memory or not?

OcUK Staff
You learn more about any system by Overclocking RAM and changing timings than youdo any other component and if you wish to squeeze everything out of your system its totally worth it.

Have a go and see where it takes you and learn how each change effects your system.

3770k have strong memory controllers let it fly.

Soldato
OP
You learn more about any system by Overclocking RAM and changing timings than youdo any other component and if you wish to squeeze everything out of your system its totally worth it.

Have a go and see where it takes you and learn how each change effects your system.

3770k have strong memory controllers let it fly.

So whats best for testing it?

Soldato
OP
this is what i have so far, will run IBT x 10 on max, but prime gets errors after 45 mins, not sure on mem volts are safe to use and any others etc to make stable, cant be far off.
with regards to cas latency, tried dropping to 9 but having none of it.
quite hard to see but dram frequency is 1248/2496MHz
link to SIS http://www.sisoftware.eu/rank2011d/...9b8d9e4d7efdce9dfeec8ba87b791f491ac9cbac9f4c4
aida.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Rarely seen a good reason to overclock RAM - from my experience its one of the most likely components to die prematurely from extra heat/voltage and aside from some very specific tasks the impact on overall performance is minimal and you have to go from pretty much the slowest RAM of a specific type to the fastest overclocked version of that type of RAM to see a meaningful gain in gaming performance.

Soldato
so what are safe volts for my RAM?? and also IO and SA voltages?

DRAM - Anything up to 1.65v 24/7 since you're on IvyBridge. I would advise active cooling for up to 1.7v if you're benching that high up. 1.65v is perfectly fine for 24/7 as is.
VCCSA / IO - 1.1v is pretty much the norm and all required to get the most out of the majority of 24/7 clocks. Go up to 1.15v if required, 1.2v is the kinda the limit for 24/7 on air.

Soldato
OP
I would leave the volts alone and just work on the timings.

DRAM - Anything up to 1.65v 24/7 since you're on IvyBridge. I would advise active cooling for up to 1.7v if you're benching that high up. 1.65v is perfectly fine for 24/7 as is.
VCCSA / IO - 1.1v is pretty much the norm and all required to get the most out of the majority of 24/7 clocks. Go up to 1.15v if required, 1.2v is the kinda the limit for 24/7 on air.

Tried to lower timings, and there not liking it, ok with command rate set to 1 and the 4th timing down 1, anything else and prime fails. They will run upto 2.5GHz though, too many options to change and not got a clue!

Soldato
Should have my big bang up and running today at last (make shift GPU just arrived!!) so I'll be overclocking and trying to tune up my 2400mhz kit too. How are you finding the MSI bios? IMC isn't great on SB-E so I'll probably be just trying to tighten up timings at 2400mhz or maybe try pushing a little harder in tri-channel, 2500mhz would be nice but I can't see it happening for me :(

Soldato
OP
slowly getting used to it, all 3 of my other pc's have been with asus so a little time and effort adjusting, quite easy to get average clocks but when pushing there is not as much info on the WWW as other boards. They are easy to attain high clocks but its the fine tuning to get that extra inch.

since dropping my cpu clocks to a reasonable level i have noticed that i can up the clocks on my lightning, so heat is a big issue for me with my card, do you think if i put another rad in between cpu and gpu would help???

Soldato
How much radiator space do you have atm? Location in the loop isn't very important at all, provided it starts res>pump thats all you need to worry about.

I'll have a hunt for a guide for the xpower II, though hopefully a combination of the MSI forum and some educated guesses I should be able to get to 5ghz, hopefully with a lot less voltage then my UD7 requires.

Soldato
OP
got 360x80 + 240x80, gpu is straight after a furnace of a cpu(whilst benching!) temps are still good @ 62c max at 1.5+v, noticed if i can keep my vrms(gfx) below 42c it will push further, but when pushing big numbers through the cpu i have no chance of that.

This overclocking/benching/water is so addictive!!!! just want more power!!!!

oh and if and when you decide on selling your ltg+block, give me a shout ;)

Soldato
Haha, I'll be keeping it for the time being (when it eventually gets replaced that is!).

Temps look fine and thats plenty enough radiator space, if you want it cooler either try reduce ambient temps or direct a decent fan at the GPU. Open a window and put a jumper on ;)

What fans are you using on the radiators? I'm re-designing my loop in the next month or so, hopefully end up with a 480+360 combination, going push/pull just for looks, probably going to use some 1350rpm yate loons.

Soldato
OP
got gt 1850's, front 2 push, roof 3 pull, 120 viper on floor pulling fresh air in and 140 viper rear exhaust, disconnected (too noisy) and needs replacing!

water is 3c above ambient at idle, 6.5c above all at full load, need to get a inline temp sensor fitted to cpu out.

loop = pump+res/240/aquaero block/360/cpu/gpu/pump+res

aq12.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom