OverClockers Twitchers' Thread

Was a slow day today. The hour I did for the watch wasn’t the best, but still 9 different species.

some really good photos in here too btw.

Haha that's awesome, I have to say I do miss squirrels, don't get many down here, I know they are technically vermin but they are great fun to watch.

Since moving in in Feb 2020 this is what we've had.

Robin
Green finch
Gold finch
Jay
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion crow
Ferral pigeon
Wood pigeon
Greater spotted wood pecker
Long tailed tit
Blue tit
Coal tit
Great tit
BlackBird
House sparrow
Collarred dove

Specials
Bullfinch
Sparrowhawk caught a pigeon (amazing)
Tree creeper

jNKM6hu.jpg

Resident hog

5Aqvy95.jpg

Sometimes 20 gold finch

Ugh YouTube really messes with quality. (it was only a phone video though)

Last edited:
Some amazing photos in here! I've only got a phone so my camera pictures are pretty rubbish but we seem to be quite lucky with the birds on our doorstep.

We have lots of Jays, to the point they're almost unremarkable. Love spotting them and hearing they squawks though

Lots of cormorants ; we went for a walk on Christmas day along the river and was lucky enough to see one bob up from under the water with, what i expect, was a brown trout going down the hatch

Woodpeckers, often hear them before we see them but we spot them fairly frequently.

When we go for walks in the evening we often hear the hoots of Tawny owls but we've spotted a barn owl

Noticed a Kestrel perched in a tree nearby which i couldn't stop staring at.

My favourite to look out for is the Kingfisher though. Stunning birds and the way they hunt is really interesting.

5b89d32e-9cfe-487e-b6c4-4db60952b7dd.jpg

Terrible picture (it looks better on my phone as it's a live photo) but it was really cool just watching this little guy fly up and down the river. I didn't realise they also had the ability to hover above a river and dive down.

e53a7705-e882-4f23-8fcb-b1cfb5a9a414.jpg

Bit of a give away that both my partner and I are fans of birds! My partner is Welsh so she really wants to take me to Skomer and Skokholm (spelling probably wildly incorrect) to go see all the puffins, which I would love to do once we are free to travel the country

Some amazing photos in here! I've only got a phone so my camera pictures are pretty rubbish but we seem to be quite lucky with the birds on our doorstep.

We have lots of Jays, to the point they're almost unremarkable. Love spotting them and hearing they squawks though

Lots of cormorants ; we went for a walk on Christmas day along the river and was lucky enough to see one bob up from under the water with, what i expect, was a brown trout going down the hatch

Woodpeckers, often hear them before we see them but we spot them fairly frequently.

When we go for walks in the evening we often hear the hoots of Tawny owls but we've spotted a barn owl

Noticed a Kestrel perched in a tree nearby which i couldn't stop staring at.

My favourite to look out for is the Kingfisher though. Stunning birds and the way they hunt is really interesting.

5b89d32e-9cfe-487e-b6c4-4db60952b7dd.jpg

Terrible picture (it looks better on my phone as it's a live photo) but it was really cool just watching this little guy fly up and down the river. I didn't realise they also had the ability to hover above a river and dive down.

That looks near identical to a park in Cardiff! So much so I checked where you lived!
When I'm out on my kayak I always see king fishers. They are absolutely stunning. Nothing in UK like them

That looks near identical to a park in Cardiff! So much so I checked where you lived!
When I'm out on my kayak I always see king fishers. They are absolutely stunning. Nothing in UK like them

Aha no it's that's boring old Bristol! Completely agree though, they're stunning. They look too colourful to come from this place!

Aha no it's that's boring old Bristol! Completely agree though, they're stunning. They look too colourful to come from this place!

We also want to go to skomer. Puffins are so cute. If you're ever down this way (post pandemic) drop me a message if you're like. Be happy to meet up. I still need to try and see a wild boar too in forest of Dean

As a master twitcher, what is this? saw it with the egret the other day

yOnW48V.jpg

Could be a meadow pipit?

Edit. Rock pipet? As its by sea

We get a lot of egrets round here. But I'm on the gwent levels. Which is ideal for them

Not seen a rock pipet

We get loads of twitchers visit us down here, we have loads and loads of egrets which are fairly rare:

Got an invasion of long tailed ****, and some other randoms

nAARbDb.jpg

lil baby:
hpK9xPQ.jpg

FYI.

That's a song thrush
And a juvenile Robin

Geeky fact.
Long tailed **** are actually wagtails. They aren't **** at all. But bird watchers aren't always the most familiar with identifying ****.:D

I'm a big bird geek .
I grew up in rural Suffolk and used to spend ages with my grandad watching birds. Had the books etc. All my knowledge comes from childhood!

I thought I was fairly proficient, but I guess it's what you are familiar with, birds I see everyday might bamboozle others: shags, puffins, choughs etc.. then you get all the **** hawks :p which is local speak for seagulls, guillemots, gannets etc.. I took a funky seagull picture a while ago that won an award in the local rag:

S1iP6fy.jpg

I thought I was fairly proficient, but I guess it's what you are familiar with, birds I see everyday might bamboozle others: shags, puffins, choughs etc.. then you get all the **** hawks :p which is local speak for seagulls, guillemots, gannets etc.. I took a funky seagull picture a while ago that won an award in the local rag:

S1iP6fy.jpg

That's a great pic.

Yeah I'm less familiar with seas birds.
I know a ganet, and a black headed gull etc. But the rarer ones I didn't grow up with.

Used to get cormorants and osprey at Rutland water (when I lived there). But cliff birds.. Not so familiar.

Saw some chough when I was in Cornwall. Which was cool (may have spelt that wrong!)

We also want to go to skomer. Puffins are so cute. If you're ever down this way (post pandemic) drop me a message if you're like. Be happy to meet up. I still need to try and see a wild boar too in forest of Dean

Would gladly do that! Yeah she keeps telling me it's a really cool place to visit, think they have a lot of baby seals there too.

Love forest of dean but yet to see a wild boar there. A friend and I rode out motorbikes around there recently and was amazed at how many sheep just litter the roads. Beautiful area and the Usk valley too... may have been the Wye Valley, not sure. We went past Tintern Abbey

Back
Top Bottom