• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclocking quad core

Don
Hot, hot, hot!

I've got mine Prime stable on water at 3.6GHz, but it's peak load temps are in the mid 70s. Mine did 3.1-3.2GHz or thereabout on stock volts without getting too hot though.

Jokester

Soldato
Jokester said:
Hot, hot, hot!

I've got mine Prime stable on water at 3.6GHz, but it's peak load temps are in the mid 70s. Mine did 3.1-3.2GHz or thereabout on stock volts without getting too hot though.

Jokester

Are those temps like that because of bad contact? Or the water simply can't transfer enough heat, or is the water not releasing the heat quick enough?

Don
I haven't tried it to be honest, I know my Vapo LS is only tuned for something like 180-200W so I could see it falling over when stress testing. If it doesn't I would expect full load temps in the 20s or even 30s.

Jokester

Soldato
Jokester said:
It's because you've got 4 cores = twice as much heat as a Conroe. It'll be pumping out considerably more than 200W I would have thought.

Jokester

Overclocked P4s were closing on that amount of heat tho.

70+C for water is pretty poor TBH. X1900 put out that overclocked and they are 50/60C load...

Soldato
Jokester said:
Other people on water are getting the same temps, and note that's Coretemp temps not motherboard (so +10-15C).

PSU calculator says that it pumps out 240W.

Jokester

An 1.575V X1900XTX will give out that, but im not sure where the sensor is for that, probably on the core aswell.

Whats your water temp? Because I think its just core ---> water heat exchange that can't cope V.well, well, kinda puts me off getting a quad core lol

Don
Concorde Rules said:
Well there we go then, the cores cannot get rid of the heat into the water quick enough, I'd bet that IHSless and the best waterblock could get that sub 60C :D

I've already got the best waterblock and lapped the IHS to an inch of it's life.

:D

Jokester

Associate
Daft question, cant you use a different sollution that is better then water???

I dont know if a sollution is out there that runs colder then water and can absorb heat better to reduce temps?

Don
Phase will let you significantly under ambient temperatures depending on load wattages. With current single stage phase units though you would really need to get them retuned for a higher load as they come tuned to loads less than 200W normally.

You could easy see 300W of heat being produced by a quad if you were pushing it upto 4GHz+.

Jokester

Back
Top Bottom