Overclocking the i7 920

Soldato
Overclocking the i7 920 - Final tips

Hello,

So, I finally placed my order for my i7 setup today, and all being well it should be arriving tomorrow. I have obviously read a lot on these forums, and on the internet about overclocking the 920, but was just wondering if anyone had any vital tips/hints/things I can print and read tonight, before I embark on my quest for 4GHz tomorrow?

Thanks =)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. So, I guess, it's simply a case of increasing the CPU clock, QPI clock and UnCore Clock one at a time, and seeing what the best maximum is, and setting volts from there?

Just a wee bit daunting coming from a E6850 where all I had to do was up the FSB, so I don't want to mess anything up you know.

Soldato
OP
Well, my stuff arrived just 2 mins ago =D

Gutted I missed out on Operation Flashpoint with my CPU =( Oh wells.

Will probably update this as I go about overclocking my i7 later on ^^

And also ask for more tips if I get stuck =p

Soldato
OP
1) What do you call high?

2) Those all seem to be good temps to be honest mate. Most people get around 80C in Prime95 @ 4GHz, so seems ok.

3) A little bit. But it's always good to be safe. 60C in games is very good I would say.

I've not personally overclocked my i7 yet, so need to see what I come out with.

Soldato
OP
So, I overclocked my chip to the settings posted by DIABLO above. In fact, I went a little lower, and clocked it to around 3.6GHz with BCLK of 180.

And while my computer booted into Windows 7 fine, it wouldn't load anything past logging me into MSN. Was very strange. I couldn't even click on the start menu or anything. I run ObjectDock, so usually that loads pretty fast after it loads Windows.

At stock settings however, it seems to be ok. Until just a minute ago, when it wouldn't even do it at stock. I changed my SATA cable over for my hard drive, and it loaded fine. Going to do another test at a 3.6GHz overclock. Let's hope it loads.

Any ideas what might have caused my programs to not load?

Soldato
OP
I was in the process of typing a reply, and I had a BSOD. Couldn't quite see what it said sadly. Anyways.

I think it may have had something to do with my SATA cables. The fact that it wasn't booting properly. I had two SATA hard drives, and one SATA DVD drive. Should my system drive be on 1, storage drive on 0, and DVD drive on 2? Something like that? Not sure how this all works with SATA drives etc. If I have my system drive on 0, it won't boot.

Soldato
OP
I got my i7 to boot at 3.6GHz, but after 2 results from IntelBurnTest, it said the system was unstable. Any ideas on what to do now? Would be a real shame if I have a really bad overclocker =( but just my luck =(

Soldato
OP
Timings on RAM are 8-8-8-24

Speed: In CPU-Z it says, on the memory tab

DRAM Frequency: 720 MHz
FSB: DRAM: 2:8

Just remembered. RAM is running at 1440 MHz if I am correct 8 x 180 BCLK

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think C1E may be on. I will have to check. Hyper Threading is on, and I think Load Line is also.

Just completed 5 runs of IntelBurnTest on high stress level, and it passed. Will try upping a bit more, and see what I get.

Soldato
OP
I am one GIANT tool.

I had my freaking Vcore set to 1.13V thinking it was actually at 1.3V.

How stupid can you get! Guess I was being over safe =p

Oh well. Time to test how far I can REALLY take this baby now =D Vcore set to 1.3V for now. Will decrease once I hit 4GHz stable, and see how low she can go ^^

Soldato
OP
Yeah no wonder it was crapping out :p

To be honest, I'm surprised it even BOOTED at 3.8GHz with that voltage! Haha.

Btw, what's a safe QPI voltage? I have my system running @ 4GHz now, with 1.325V on the core, and 1.64V on my RAM, and QPI set at 1.36V. That sound ok?

Going to have to leave this for tonight. Time for work sadly. Will continue to overclock tomorrow afternoon from around 2ish.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Only firm rule when overclocking the i7 is do not have more 0.50v difference between the QPI and RAM voltages else damage can occur.

If this is the case, then you can surely set QPI voltage to 1.6V then, esp as most RAM runs at around 1.5-1.65V. I have mine running at 1.64V. But if max recomended QPI voltage is around 1.375V or so, then that 0.5V rule can't be massively important.

Soldato
OP
Only overclocking to 3.2Ghz? Ouch mate. Make sure you set those voltages properly. Don't do what I did mate. I thought I had a crap chip too, but I was doing wrong voltages (1.13V instead of 1.3V on Vcore). Even a bad chip should surely be able to make 3.6GHz + I would have thought?

Keep trying mate. Don't give up.

Anyway. Today is stress testing day for me.

Soldato
OP
What would be the best combination of programs to run to test my i7 @ 4GHz?

There was a good post the other day, about what to run, but I can't find it anymore sadly =(

Edit: So, I just run 50 cycles of LinX. CPU passed at 4GHz, in 14 mins 50 seconds.

Temps not going over 80C on CPU. That is with the side of my case off for now (just in case anything goes wrong). Need to tidy up the cabling, and close it back up, but hopefully it shouldn't change much. Don't have any real airflow into the case on the side when the side isn't on, and room temp, is around 22C.

Idling at around 40-45C currently.

Those temps sound ok?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you bought the overclocked bundle from OC themselves, I would be very VERY surprised it doesn't work. They aren't the kind of people to send you a dud setup. I thought the guys there said not to fiddle with settings if they clocked it for you, but to send them a webnote etc?

Back
Top Bottom